Overheated 1HZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The $615 total was "Rebuild with new nozzles and set opening pressure to spec"

No labor costs to rebuild, no down time. No question of, did they do it right?

Cheers
But its $900. Any competent fuel injection shop can rebuild them without a hitch.

Regarding cleaning the deck of the block, I've spent a while hand cleaning with the least abrasive stuff i have and razor blading the stubborn bits. How clean does this space between the cylinders need to be? I can't get anything else off of it with a razor blade and want to avoid rolocs if i can.

image0.jpeg

Regarding cleaning the deck of the block, I've spent a while hand cleaning with the least abrasive stuff i have and razor blading the stubborn bits. How clean does this space between the cylinders need to be? I can't get anything else off of it with a razor blade and want to avoid rolocs if i can.

View attachment 2122018

I don't think there is much more you can do with that. It looks like there might just be a bit of corrosion that happened there. Would require decking the block to clean that up I would think? If you run your fingers over it, there should not be anything sticking up proud of the block surface at the very least.

Did you ever have compression checked on that motor when it was running? Your cylinder bores look a bit rough to me. Similar to my first 2LTE short block that a previous owner let water/coolant sit in for a long time (rusting/pitting the cylinder walls). It had blow-by/compression issues from the damage. Can you get an auto machinist to take a look at it in-situ?

A full rebuild would be a drag....but I suppose now would be the time.

Looks like a little bit of scoring on the cylinder walls, especially on the bottom pic. Probably minor, but now is the time IMHO with the head off, in the general scheme of things, not much more work to get the crank out, pistons and rods out, light hone, new rings, check all the tolerences and know that she's good.

Looks like a little bit of scoring on the cylinder walls, especially on the bottom pic.

I was more concerned about the pock-marks near the top of the cylinder on the right. Also the discoloration everywhere. If you can feel that with your fingers then it's probably too much....

Good call outs folks - the cylinder walls definitely aren't perfect but the black pocked mark area actually cleaned up better than I expected - a lot of the irregularities seemed to just be build up. The bottom end will need work eventually but I'm not keen to pull the whole motor since it was running quite well before... It's a tough call, but trying to find the line between while-im-at-it-itis and getting at least one of my projects running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom