Overhead Console Ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My search turned up very little. Some old posts no longer had the pics attached. So...

I'm looking for ideas for a custom overhead console to fit between the center spreaders of my new MetalTech Cage. It would need to hold a CB and a single or pair of interior dome or spot lights. Anything else I should put up there? Leads on the dome lights?

I am well aware of the Tuffy option which is very nice. Its size is too big for what I need.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and picture contributions.

Tuffy pic attached.
Tuffy Overhead Console.jpg

My search turned up very little. Some old posts no longer had the pics attached. So...

I'm looking for ideas for a custom overhead console to fit between the center spreaders of my new MetalTech Cage. It would need to hold a CB and a single or pair of interior dome or spot lights. Anything else I should put up there? Leads on the dome lights?

I am well aware of the Tuffy option which is very nice. Its size is too big for what I need.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and picture contributions.

Tuffy pic attached.

Too long or too wide? I just installed my Tuffy overhead console today. It was too wide to fit between the rollcage spreaders, so I just put it over the passenger seat, slid towards the middle, butted against a spreader. I can take pics tomorrow of that will help!

if the tuffy will work for you i have one i cant use id be willing to part with. the only issue is its missing one of the doors.

Too long or too wide?

Too long. I have not finished welding my cage, so I can set the center spreaders at whatever spacing I need.

I like the Tuffy, but its size (length) and price are too big for what I need. I'm trying to keep it simple and functional.

Thanks

if the tuffy will work for you i have one i cant use id be willing to part with. the only issue is its missing one of the doors.

I sent you a PM. Thanks

No info???

Should I post this in the Hardcore Forum?

Hey Lash

I'm in the same boat...I need to figure out something too. Probably just gonna fab something up, I'd like to put my 3 gauge cluster (air press x2 and vac) up there, as well as either a new CB or 2m radio along with the lights, and maybe some switches...

I've currently got one of those funky besttop sound bars...it sucks, but i've got tunes and lights :D

Hope some folks post up some pics..

Todd,

Good to hear from you. Thanks for chiming in.

Nice idea on the 3-gauge cluster. I hadn't thought of that.

My plan is to take the CB out of the radio hole in the dash and put it in the overhead. I'll put some switches in the radio hole some day, but I need to make some room for them first.

My other goal is to run as little wiring to the overhead console as possible, so I'll probably stick with just the CB and a dome light.

My motivation to get this done is that I'm nearing the end of fitting my new MetalTech Cage. Before I set the center spreaders, I need a plan.

Last edited:
FWIW I have the Tuffy double radio overhead console. It's in a box in the garage. The forward bay is not user friendly, to far back, I'd have to grow eye stalks to use the rear bay.

If anybody wants it they can have it for 20% below list plus shipping.

I got a cheap break from HF and plan to kludge up something on my own.

Well Dan, You just got all our business! When will you have your new custom FJ40 specific overhead console on the market? What are the specs? Everybody line up behind me and Todd!

Seroiusly, please share your build with us so we can learn. You may develop a market!

Thanks

...My other goal is to run as little wiring to the overhead console as possible, so I'll probably stick with just the CB and a dome or light.

Run a single 12V wire and an ignition hot wire up there and get a 3 circuit aux fuse block from Summit for $30. The one I got has two ignition hot only circuits and one hot always circuit.
I plan to have the deck, lights and a couple of fans on the ignition hot only circuits. The CB and Ham radio will be on the hot always circuit, it will need some filtering to keep the power clean.

Well Dan, You just got all our business! When will you have your new custom FJ40 specific overhead console on the market? What are the specs? Everybody line up behind me and Todd!

Seroiusly, please share your build with us so we can learn. You may develop a market!

Thanks

My stuff is usually pretty redneck. I'll post pics if I get anything that doesn't look like it's made out of Renolyds wrap.

Anyone else?

No pics??

Lash,

Tolleson has the tuffy. Go take some measurments from his and get the Tuffy that Dan has. Jeff can weld your spreaders according to your measurments. BTW,have you seen Tony's speaker pods? You need those! PM him and tell him to post pics.

Later,

I just welded 3 flat plate brackets between the spreaders. The CB mpont attaches to one, the CD player to another, and a dome light from Tractor Supply to the one in the back.

I had the Tuffy overhead console in a '40...did not care for it. PIA to install, PIA to put the radios in, PIA to do anything on. Rattly to boot. Sure it was secure, but damn, just a real PIA all around. I love the Tuffy center console, but could not recommend the overhead console. Their speaker boxes are nice in the '40 though.

I really like Tolleson's Tuffy, but its just too big for me.

The Tuffy is just under 10" wide, so that is probably where I'll set my spreaders.

I do have a 8" x 12" x 3.5" aluminum box that I think I'll use. I'll put the light over the dash and the CB in the end. There will be room for more lights, etc. I'll just need to weld 3 or 4 tabs to the cage to hold it.

I need to check out Tony's speaker pods. Are they the Tuffy fender top with storage?

Thanks

Lash,

Tolleson has the tuffy. Go take some measurments from his and get the Tuffy that Dan has. Jeff can weld your spreaders according to your measurments. BTW,have you seen Tony's speaker pods? You need those! PM him and tell him to post pics.

Later,

Last edited:
i've got the tuffy and i wouldn't recommend it. normally, i love tuffy products, but this one sucks. you aren't supposed to drive with the doors down, so that means either listen to it rattle like crazy and bounce your radio and cb around, or close it up and you can't change channels. even closed, it rattles like crazy. also, if you mount a cb, it better be a minature one because you either have to have one skinny enough to fit in with a side mount cb attachment, or it has to be small enough to mount it way towards the back so you can't see the radio (let alone what channel you're on), because the grommet for the mike is on the bottom and the lip has to clear when you're closing it.

Ige,

Thanks for your response.

If I remember your console, you mounted two swiveling interior spotlights to your Tuffy. Where did you get the lights. What do you recommend?

Thanks

I kinda half way built an overhead console of my own a few years ago. It was my first attempt at building something from scratch out of metal so I think I went overboard and it isn't exactly my best work. Anyway I used angle iron as mount points for the radio and CB. Connected these to a metal frame/cage made out of 1" square tubing with door hinges. I used small gas struts to push down the CB and Radio and hold them in place. I never finished it because I sold the 40 before that. I still have the the thing in the shed and I can take some pictures to give you guys some ideas if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom