Over Heating ???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

A few weeks ago, I drove from Vancouver to Princeton in my BJ74. Normally, the factory temp gauge reads dead centre or a bit below, highway & city.

On a couple of long hills, where the grade is about 8% for several miles and outside temp about 90F, the temp gauge rose to almost the "normal" limit, not crossing the line into red, but close. Once the grade leveled off, the temp went back down again.

In talking to some of the guys at the Coastal Cruisers dinner last night, I may have an over heating problem.

The 13BT is coupled with an A440F auto trans. The rad seems good and has new coolant. The fan clutch seems to work fine, but I will be monitoring.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and see some of you tomorrow at Cruiser Days!

Bruce

First put a mech gauge on it... doubt it, sounds like you were just pushing it hard.

I don't have a 3bt. so maybe I shouldn't respond but my 3b doesn't like 8% at 90* for several miles.

Mine neither, but even if there are people on my ass, I just slow down, I try not to push her too much, shes an old girl and I like to treat her with the respect she treats me with.

Could try some redline water wetter, a mechincal temp gauge is super easy to install

Do you have a trans cooler on it? I have a similar problem with mine. If the trans is getting hot then so will the rad via the trans cooler in bottum of the rad ?

Hi FJota,

No trans cooler other than the stock piping through the rad. Think this might be it?

Thanks,

B

I have not out the trans cooler on yet but I am going to try that next. Mine warms up on long hills when I am pulling hard in 3rd with not lock up on the torque convertor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom