Outside Temp Gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not trying to get too fancy here, but has anyone ever tried to put one of those rearview mirror outside temp gauges in? I'm not even sure if its possible but it would sure look cooler than a thermometer taped to the fender.

I got something similar(if not identical) to this one:

It just plugs into the sigarette lighter socket.
It displays both inside and outside temps(F and C), as well as your battery voltage.
It lights up either green or blue at night.

I think they recommend mounting the sensor inside/by the front bumper, but don't know where the factory ones are usually located.

Good luck!

mot

I meant to say "sorry", not "orry". :-[

mot

I've seen others like these, but they all look cheap. This one looks much better. Where did you find this? How much?

Hey,

I was about to say "All right, I'm cheap!" before I got to the end of your post :D

You probably knew that I was(still am) in Japan.

I just went to a local car accessory shop by my house and paid not much more than $20, I think. I have not installed it since I am going to install when(IF?) I get a Cruiser in the US upon my return next year ;)

If you are desperate, I'll pick one up for you. Last I checked there were two different models available. I'll try to find their page and put it below. Hang on:

Here it is:

http://www.napolex.co.jp

OK. It'll be in Japanese, but click where it says "FIZZ" if it shows up correctly on your screen, under "New Model" icon. Then you'll see their products. Find and click on the pic of a compass at the bottom. Then you'll see a couple of termos towards the bottom, a blue-light one and a green-light one.

What's the difference, you ask?

The blue one displays time, interior temp, exterior temp simultaneously. Battery operated, no wiring necessary. Memory saves max/min temp. EL(Indiglo?) light.

The green one displays interior temp/voltage, exterior temp/voltage or interior/exterior temp. With alarm and LED light, it lets you know when it is approacing freezing temp(for driving safety), as well as voltage warning. Easy-to-see-in-the-dark green light.

I personally like the look of the blue light, but I bought the green one. I don't know if I'll buy the blue one, but I might.

Let me know what you think and also, if you need help. I'm kinda busy these days, but I would be happy to help.

I need to hit the sack. It's almost 1:30am! ;)

mot

MOT,

What are the dimensions of the head unit? Also, what would be the final price with shipping via UPS or FedEx or the like? Might need two if they're reasonable. No rush, so you wouldn't be asked for frantic packing, etc.

IdahoDoug

We have this model for sale in the UK - here it is in my 80 (before I sold it) Again, it gives inside or outside temp (F or C) and time. I think I pid about $20 - I'll try to find where you can get one online. I mounted the temp sensor on the inside of the front bumper - it tended to read a bit high when stationary but was accurate when on the move. It is powered by its own battery - lasts for years.

Jim

Jim,

Yours looks cooler than mine :-[

Doug,

The size seems pretty similar to what Jim's is(was). Maybe the one I have is slightly shorter(height wise). I can't have it with me(it's packed away so my wife would not see it. If she did, she would give me all sorts of garbage ;)

I went to the local shop where I got mine and the price was 2,880 yen before 5% sales tax. I was planning on doing the trackable express mail, if you want me to get one/two. Since it is not very big/heavy, it should ship for less than $20 for shipping(being somewhat conservative, I think). It should arrive in less than a week, (from my past experience). I guess it might cost more if you want them in something more than a well-padded envelope. I would feel safer in a well-padded cardboard box with bubbles inside.

The only one that the local store has is the one with the green lighting. If you would rather(or can't) get the kind I posted, rather than Jim's, then please let me know. I would be happy to help you. I would make sure that the goods would be packed securely and I would have them insured, too. Also, if you prefer the blue one, then I'll see if I could order them, too.

Let me know if you want me to do anything.

Mot

Lick your bumper. If you tongue sticks, then you know it's cold and will have explain to everyone, if not then no coldie. :flipoff2:

Are you talking to me, PUNK? I mean Junk? 8) (trying to be/look like Dirty Harry). ;)

Mot

Go to the mecca of chintzy aftermarket accessories and see four or five choices:

http://jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NavView?Ntt=thermometer&Ntk=AllTextSearchGroup&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Dn=0+111&D=thermometer&Dx=mode+matchall&ss=10101&section=body&firstSearch=1&tmplframe=EndecaCategoryView&catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&langId=-1&URL=EndecaControllerView

If the link doesn't work - go to JC Whitney and search for "thermometer". No need to go to England or Japan for goofy gadgets - we got plenty right here at home!

Picked up one at a local Pep Boys for $10. Bell Products I think. Runs on two AAA batteries. Mounted under the left AC vent and routed outside wire thru grommet in firewall and up to front bumper. Works just fine. Saw a similar one yesterday at Toy dealer for $15!

Yep, WalMart has them as well.

Radio Shack makes a decent indoor/outdoor unit that runs on a single watch battery. We used to have ours mounted on the fridge to tell us if our food was staying cold enough or not. It lasted well even after getting thrashed around the back of a 60 for a year. Displays min/max temps as well, can be switched from C to F... and I think it was less then $20.
don't have a link handy, but head to RadioShack and look

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom