Outside Temp Display In Cab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to add a small LCD temp display. I picked up a cheap time/temp display from Pepboys but the lead for the thermocouple is too short to route to the front of the engine compartment. Anyone found a decent unit for the job. Picts would be nice.

I tried extenting the wire and it stopped working. I then re-soldered the original cable without the extension and it works fine. Not sure what's going on? Is the thermocouple dependant on cable length? Maybe I will try again with a different cable.

I tried extenting the wire and it stopped working. I then re-soldered the original cable without the extension and it works fine. Not sure what's going on? Is the thermocouple dependant on cable length? Maybe I will try again with a different cable.

may not be a TC. May be an RTD, thermistor, or similar sensor which is based on resistance not thermoelectric voltage, so an extension would mess things up. Or if it is a TC you may have to worry about the material of the extension, although the emfs at the new junctions should cancel out in principle IIRC if the temps are not too different.

and, yes, I think this mod was discussed very recently in another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom