Our Travelogue... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This was the start of our journey. Pouring rain and wind. It got better from here. Good day in the 40.
More too follow. Met Brian today, Iptman tomorrow in Washington D.C. I will do some more pics Mon.

20161022_112311.jpg

Delaware is, believe it or not, a farming state. Anyone who has traveled down I 95 from the north or down SR 1 to our beaches or beaches in Maryland have only seen the congested areas. The west side of this small state is farmland and chicken houses.

20161022_112459.jpg

20161022_114613.jpg

Crops being mostly Corn and Soy Beans. We also have some decent sized dairy farms. The central part of the state also has an Amish community. In Delaware we have "North of the Canal" and "South of the Canal". The Chesapeake and Delaware Canal splits the state through New Castle County, connecting the Delaware River and Upper Delaware Bay with the Upper Chesapeake Bay. This a major short cut for ships transiting between Ports in Wilmington, De. and Philadelphia and the Ports along the Chesapeake Bay, Baltimore M.D. area and farther south to Norfolk. Va.
Chesapeake & Delaware Canal - Wikipedia

The Canal, when built left several levels of dredge spoil on the north and south sides. There are approx. two hundred miles of dirt and gravel roads. This is also a spot known for off road activity although it is illegal to drive off the maintained portions of the road. These roads are very popular for biking.

20161022_120531.jpg

20161022_120924.jpg

20161022_121617.jpg

On to Port Deposit Maryland to meet Brian. I knew of a decent German Restaurant named Prost, so we picked that as our meeting place. Great food and beer!

Brian had suggested we do the hand-off near a lighthouse in Havre de Grace, Md.

We toured the lighthouse and nearby Maritime museum. Really neat area!

20161022_133956.jpg

20161022_145039.jpg

20161022_150044.jpg

20161022_150904.jpg

After some time in Havre de Grace we parted ways. Brian had told us the story of the Mason Dixon marker he posted of earlier. He correctly made the decision not to take a brief case with attached hand cuffs into someones yard to take a photo of the marker in the hills of Pennsylvania....Lol... I told him i would continue that since I knew of a marker in Delaware. I elected not to put the brief case next to the marker due to some Poison Ivy! The Baton has made it to Delaware! Celebratory Beer at my Favor Micro-Brewery! Blue Earl!

20161022_175436.jpg

20161022_175545.jpg

20161022_175803.jpg

20161022_181413.jpg

After close to 250 miles on Sat. My wife and I left Sun. A.M. to meet "Iptman", Patrick near Washington D.C. in Arlington V.A. After a quick check of the 40's fluids we hit the road. What a deference from Sat. Nice day although windy. Crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and on to Washington D.C.
Definitely a different drive than Sat., Crazy traffic and running 65 mph! Patrick suggested meeting for lunch at "The Italian Store". Excellent Italian style sandwiches.

20161023_100736.jpg

20161023_104936.jpg

20161023_114150.jpg

After lunch Patrick suggested a Baton Exchange at the USMC Memorial. Those not familiar it is the Statue of the iconic photo of the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima. The memorial is next to Arlington Nation Cemetary. A fitting place for the exchange since those fighters of freedom are who give us the ability to do events such as this.

A beautiful day!

Resized.jpg

resized a.jpg

resized b.jpg

resized c.jpg

resized d.jpg

Drive back to Dover De. was uneventful. Approx. 325 miles today. Thanks to "Hecrod" for getting this started and to everyone involved. Met up with some great guys, had great food, and saw outstanding landmarks and beautiful scenery. Not to mention some cool 40's! Jeff & Ada

What a learning experience! I'm continuing to learn a lot about this country, that I would have otherwise never known. Everybody involved, THANK YOU!

Don

Drive back to Dover De. was uneventful. Approx. 325 miles today. Thanks to "Hecrod" for getting this started and to everyone involved. Met up with some great guys, had great food, and saw outstanding landmarks and beautiful scenery. Not to mention some cool 40's! Jeff & Ada

Great posts @Shark56, and cool 40 you've got there.

Yesterday my 5 year old co-pilot and I left the DC suburbs around 7:00am and headed West on I-66 toward Front Royal, VA. There we entered Shenandoah National Park at the North Entrance of Skyline Drive. We traveled 65 miles of Skyline Drive then headed East on 33 where we met @Booch and his wife for lunch at The Barbecue Exchange in Gordonsville, VA (best BBQ I've had in years). The weather was a spectacular 70 degrees and sunny and the leaves were at or close to peak colors. My daughter and I had a fantastic adventure in the 40. We put about 245 miles on the 40, the longest single trip I've put on it and it did great. I think I will plan to put 3.70 3rds in it though for a little lower RPMs on the highways.

(Lifted from Wikipedia) Skyline Drive is a two-lane road that has 75 overlooks providing views of the Shenandoah Valley to the west and the Piedmont to the east. The drive provides access to numerous trails, including the Appalachian Trail, and is also used for biking and horseback riding. Skyline Drive is the main road through Shenandoah National Park and has access to campgrounds, visitor centers, and resorts such as Skyland Resort and Big Meadows. The scenic drive is particularly popular in the fall for leaf peeping when the leaves are changing colors. Skyline Drive is designated a National Scenic Byway and a National Historic Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Plans for the road date back to 1924 when a national park was planned in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and the main feature was to be a "sky-line drive" providing views of the surrounding land. President Herbert Hoover, who had a summer home at Rapidan Camp, called for the construction of the road. Groundbreaking for Skyline Drive took place in 1931. The first section, which originally was to run from Rapidan Camp to Skyland, was extended between Swift Run Gap and Thornton Gap and opened in 1934. Skyline Drive was extended north to Front Royal in 1936 and south to Jarman Gap in 1939. The road between Jarman Gap and Rockfish Gap was built as part of the Blue Ridge Parkway in 1939 and was incorporated into Skyline Drive in 1961. The Civilian Conservation Corps played a large part in constructing Skyline Drive. Improvements have been made to the roadway since it was built. Skyline Drive was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997, became a National Scenic Byway in 2005, and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2008.

How about some pics....

Trip 1.JPG
Trip 2.JPG
Trip 3.JPG
Trip 4.JPG
Trip 5.JPG

Meeting up with @Booch at The Barbecue Exchange in Gordonsville, VA. Definitely put this place on your BBQ tour of the South.

Trip 11.JPG
Trip 12.JPG
Trip 13.JPG

Defiantly top 5 on my list.
They have some great BBQ.
10 different flavors of pickles!! Awesome Cornbread!

Great picks!!

Great pics iptman! And, be sure and tell your daughter that I like her pics also. What a great way to make memories for her, a road trip with her Dad and the 40.

I'm really enjoying this thread, and the complimentary thread. They are definitely what I look for everytime I'm on Mud.

Don

@Booch Any chance you could swing by Monticello, seems like you are in that area.

Monticello_real_nickel.jpg

Continued..

New Hope & Ivyland Railroad

View attachment 1338544

Officially in Pennsylvania

View attachment 1338545

Took this fron the Lambertville/New Hope free bridge. The small clearing up on the left hill is Goat Hill Overlook from my previous post.
One neat thing was after taking this pic a bald eagle swooped in and continued down river. Too fast for me to take a picture. There are many eagles in the valley.

View attachment 1338546

And the pass off, pleasure meeting you Brian. Had a great afternoon exploring the park and getting a cheese steak at Tony Luke's.

View attachment 1338547
That Rosemont-Raven bridge is fantastic! You won't see that kind of filligree work anymore

Yesterday my 5 year old co-pilot and I left the DC suburbs around 7:00am and headed West on I-66 toward Front Royal, VA. There we entered Shenandoah National Park at the North Entrance of Skyline Drive. We traveled 65 miles of Skyline Drive then headed East on 33 where we met @Booch and his wife for lunch at The Barbecue Exchange in Gordonsville, VA (best BBQ I've had in years). The weather was a spectacular 70 degrees and sunny and the leaves were at or close to peak colors. My daughter and I had a fantastic adventure in the 40. We put about 245 miles on the 40, the longest single trip I've put on it and it did great. I think I will plan to put 3.70 3rds in it though for a little lower RPMs on the highways.

(Lifted from Wikipedia) Skyline Drive is a two-lane road that has 75 overlooks providing views of the Shenandoah Valley to the west and the Piedmont to the east. The drive provides access to numerous trails, including the Appalachian Trail, and is also used for biking and horseback riding. Skyline Drive is the main road through Shenandoah National Park and has access to campgrounds, visitor centers, and resorts such as Skyland Resort and Big Meadows. The scenic drive is particularly popular in the fall for leaf peeping when the leaves are changing colors. Skyline Drive is designated a National Scenic Byway and a National Historic Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Plans for the road date back to 1924 when a national park was planned in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and the main feature was to be a "sky-line drive" providing views of the surrounding land. President Herbert Hoover, who had a summer home at Rapidan Camp, called for the construction of the road. Groundbreaking for Skyline Drive took place in 1931. The first section, which originally was to run from Rapidan Camp to Skyland, was extended between Swift Run Gap and Thornton Gap and opened in 1934. Skyline Drive was extended north to Front Royal in 1936 and south to Jarman Gap in 1939. The road between Jarman Gap and Rockfish Gap was built as part of the Blue Ridge Parkway in 1939 and was incorporated into Skyline Drive in 1961. The Civilian Conservation Corps played a large part in constructing Skyline Drive. Improvements have been made to the roadway since it was built. Skyline Drive was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997, became a National Scenic Byway in 2005, and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2008.

How about some pics....

View attachment 1344703 View attachment 1344704 View attachment 1344705 View attachment 1344706 View attachment 1344707
This has to be the coolest thing! I see the Co-pilot was mapping your route and posted it on the pocket---

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom