Our new project/wheeler/camping rig (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Believe it or not, that's not that weird of an engine mount arrangement. The bolts on the block that he used to create that front mount are designed either for a front mount, albeit shaped differently than that custom job, or for individual side mounts.

Don't use a cherry picker to hold the engine up, would be in your way working on the front of the engine. Use a bottle jack with a block of wood on the oil pan to hold the engine up. The oil pan is more than strong enough for it.

Replace the lift pump (assuming stock mechanical diaphragm) when you replace the fuel filter. The lift pump can go out while going down the road. This won't usually cause your engine to stop running, as your injection pump can draw fuel from the tank on it's own, but the added strain will destroy the injection pump. Cheap and easy insurance.

Bypass filter is good. I used to run one, but stopped when I forgot to order one for my last few oil changes :confused: I think I have a spare vertical oil filter head if you want/need it.

Other timing cover notes:
- Plan on a timing cover gasket and front main while it's apart.
- Make sure to get the depthing/installation tool for the front main, as well as the installation sleeve, that's used when installing the cover. Both come with the seal when ordering from cummins in my experience, but make sure.
- Check on the IP nose seal. This requires removal of the IP gear. Easy to do after rotating the engine to line up the timing marks (take a picture for reference), just watch out for the woodruff key that may or may not be there. IP nose seals can work their way out over time and fill the crank case with diesel. No bueno, easy to check and replace if needed with the timing gear off, without removing the injection pump.
- Peening over the bore where the KDP is works just as well as putting in a KDP retainer tab thing, and is free.

EDIT: Wow, that's a lot of words. Sorry!

Never be sorry for words of wisdom my dude. Always good to get first hand experience on this motor as I have very little and most of what I do have is mostly from the 6bt work truck I drove for a few years and did the maint my self on it due to how slow and backed up our fleet servicer always was.

Yeah I think I read somewhere that he based the engine mount design on one he had seen on a 4bt being run as a generator or something like that.

Let me know what you want for the verticle head I may switch over if I can't find a bypass one that fits.

Electric lift pump has replaced the mechanical one so no worries there.

I have the timing gasket and crank seal in my watched items on amazon but will check price at cummins store to see if cheaper before I order. Good info on the tool and sleeve i'll make sure those are included. I'll check the IP seal also when doing it. Just changed the oil and didn't have any excess fluid or strange smell so hopefully it is good. I'll need to reseal the pump anyway at some point it does have some leakage going on by some of the lines.

Ha! I read up on the free KDP fix right after I ordered the tab at the start of the month.

New updated list for things to do not including those mentioned in this post are.
New motor mounts and frame mounts for the side. (Did some searching yesterday and found that LoCoFoMoCo Racing is located about 2 miles from my house) He makes all kind of things for the classic bronco and has a 4bt swapped into his with compound turbos
Hydroboost (same company also makes a mount kit for it since it needs to be angled to clear the motor)
1 ton front a rear out of super duty diesel. This is actually a simple bolt on job with custom arms from another company
Nv4500
HMVV bead locks
Full family cage with soft top
rear seat
tail gate to hold storage in
cold air intake for the 4bt
fluid dampr

The brakes will be done first followed by the mounts/dampr followed by POR-15 on the frame and then everything else will come very slowly, budget depending.

Last edited:
So decided to go on my own adventure and go for a drive in the freezing wind yesterday that was whipping down off of Mt Rainier. Thought i'd go get some snow pics closer to the mountain. Couldn't convince Andrea to go with me as she hates the cold so I was solo. Was a fun trip at the start.

After driving it for a while I came to a busy intersection and pulled to turn out onto the hwy and sure as there is a law called Murphy it cut out. Wouldn't restart.... had to push it back out of traffic myself up a tiny grade. And in doing that severely pulled my quad, or tore it... i'm not sure at the moment it hurts like crazy but luckily I already have pain killers and muscle relaxers for my shoulder issue.

But anyway luckily a guy jumped out and put it in gear for me and then 5 minutes later a kid in a ram pulled up and offered to snatch strap me back home. Got it to my mom's house where it currently lives and he and his friends helped my gimpy ass push it into my the driveway.

Then I just had to figure out how to get it up the really steep driveway with no gear at her house. Sadly it was facing the wrong way for the winch and re-maneuvering it was out of the question as her street was lined with cars and super narrow now due to thanksgiving visitors in the neighborhood.

So a trip to harbor freight for a new comealong and some chain and I was in business.... took a while to get it up her long driveway to where it was flat enough Andrea and I could actually push it the rest of the way. But it was done.

Another adventure in the book and a very sore Al gimping up the streets of Seattle to work today. I need an NFL coach to come inject me with some pain killers to put me back in the game.

Bronco is done for the year. Pretty sure the injection pump has let go. Winter plan is to remove the body and clean and POR15 the frame. Put motor mounts in different place so I can get the front cover off. KDP fix if needed and pull the pump to get it rebuilt and a 3200 spring put in.

And buy my mom a nice xmas present since it looks like i'll be doing that in her garage now instead of mine. LOL

Bummer.

What's the reasoning behind the assumption that the IP let go?

The two times that's happened to me when it was "super" cold was a problem with the fuel filter. Once I'm pretty sure was cracked, possibly due to me not draining the water out, and second time was due to a loose filter. Both only happened when it was super, super cold, and it ran normal for a while before enough air got into the lines to cause a stall.

Next time, use the starter to move the truck. Much easier than pushing if only trying to get to a safe spot a hundred or so feet.

I thought it may be the filter at first or the inline pump going out. Filter is new and took it on a hour drive after doing it in last month and have driven it since then.

Confirmed inline pump was working on the side of the road and also that there was fuel in the filter. It may still be that but, I had noticed that the injection pump was leaking a tiny bit when I did the filter and watched it run. When poking around the bay I saw some wetness and a small pool of fuel on the axle housing which is directly below the pump. It also seemed like their may have been a small trail of fuel behind the vehicle but was hard to tell if it was from me or not.

Haven't had a chance to dig any farther and knowing the pump was leaking a bit anyway I had added a rebuild or at least reseal if it checks out all right at the place Tor recommended to me. That will get done over winter, hopefully after i've changed the mounts over regardless of what I find out from messing with it when I have a spare hand. I'll double check the filter to see what is happening there.

Starter trick would have worked but I like moving heavy things..... but maybe i'm starting to get too old LOL.

Last edited:
This has added one thing to my garage to do list though.

Put some anchors at the back of the garage I can bolt my winch to if I ever need to drag a vehicle up my driveway. ;)

Crash Pole in front of the furnace worked great as an anchor point for the comealong but that takes forever.

Oh yeah did get a thumbs up from a guy in a H1 earlier in the day when I was running to the store (earlier trip). Stopped by me at a stop light and asked what engine was in it. He didn't want to trade straight up though Doh!!!

Hmm I'd say those have already had the fuel screw turned up although Cummins did make a few variants that had a bit more power outside of the bread truck vans so who knows. Ill have to look in to that more now. Thanks for the info, got any links for that for me? Everytome I Google stock 4bt power I get 260-275 with all the official stuff hitting 265. Either way no biggie dont really care if it currently has 265 or 300. 300 was just a nice round number I thought I'd aim for without going crazy if if it has all that already then good and all I need is the spring and an intercooler. Oh and finish the exhaust LMAO

As I said in the other thread, stock power level depends on the engine's CPL. "bread truck engine" doesn't mean much, because they started in the early 90s with CPLs in the 700s. IIRC they stopped with these engines in new vehicles in the early 2000s, with CPLs in the 2000s. There are hundreds of different engine configurations, each with slightly different power, all in bread trucks, among other platforms.

CPL 858 is a common one (what I have) and from what I've read, stock torque is ~275. Hardly anyone left them stock, including service techs, and if you don't have the protective cover on the full power screw, it's pretty much a guarantee that someone has played with it.

This thread used to be a good reference, but the info is gone now:

This is a great reference, but all chassis dyno results, so add 10-25% depending on drivetrain for crank power:

CPL 1839 (130hp base rating) had over 300ft/lbs stock. This engine also came in bread trucks:

Turning it up "a little" can increase your power by 25%, when starting with a CPL858 (105hp base rating):

Random forum posts like this I don't consider a reliable source, because it's not cited:

This shows conflicting info, posting an "intermittent rating" chart (from cummins I think, but can't find the manual it was in) that shows 285lb/ft, but then some other random website referenced says 265lb/ft:

Last edited:
Suffice it to say that you have "about 300lb/ft". If your bronco still has the D30 up front, then I wouldn't want to go nuts, but TBH the stock torque of any 4BT can turn those axle shafts into even smaller toothpicks. I would not be concerned about your 9" rear at all.

On the road driving though, it seriously is a different engine above 2500rpm when tuned. If you put that spring in without playing with the full power screw, it will feel flat above 2500rpm.

Pyro is easy, and you can put it in without taking the turbo off. The cast metal shavings won't hurt the turbine wheel at all.

No this bronco has a D44 out of a 75 it was put together by a plethora of spare parts by the previous owner of bronco specialties. It was his hardcore 4x4 rig that saw nothing but trails till he passed and it was sold in an estate sale. Power levels will stay at the stock level as that is what has allowed it to survive a life of nothing but heavy wheeling since the 4bt was installed.

Good to know about the shavings as I was going to pull it for the install like I did on my suburban.

:cheers:

Bump for updates on the bronco if there are any.

Umm its in my garage now. Having issues to find the time to work on it when my shoulder isn't on fire is the issue. I'll get it done by spring though.... With the weather this winter it wasn't going anywhere anyway.

thanks for posting though posts like that will make me actually get myself in gear with doing it, or bribe someone with a good shoulder to do it for me. Its unfortunately right at an angle and height that I can't keep myself at for a huge amount of time.

I may bitch out and just pay someone to do it or may get the whole pump rebuilt at the same time.

I certainly know how it is to get lost in the project spiral. If I've helped, then great, just dont want to hinder. Just like the old bronco and look forward to seei g it out and about. Take care of the shoulder.

I certainly know how it is to get lost in the project spiral. If I've helped, then great, just dont want to hinder. Just like the old bronco and look forward to seei g it out and about. Take care of the shoulder.

Work has slowed down a bit that i'm not working almost 12 hour days for 7 days a week so i'm going to put a bit of time into this. Waiting on my new 366 spring before pulling the top section off to replace it and the seals.

Spring arrived so I decided F it and dug in
20200415_134733.jpg
20200412_151137.jpg
20200415_153625.jpg
20200412_193252.jpg

20200414_215808.jpg

Awesome. This is a quarantine project I can get behind!

Nice. Run better now?

Running at all would be better... lol

No the pictures came in out of order and my phone threw in a cat picture I never tried to upload.

The last pic of it "back together" is actually supposed to be the first picture. I didn't have time to do anything more and still need to swap the o-ring on the throttle shaft and replace all other seals and washers I can on the top half. And clean it all up. Need to go get some diesel from the station to immerse and scrub the top half in.

I may be able to get to it today or it may be the weekend instead.

That friggen bolt behind the idle screw was a PITA to get to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom