Other than the blasphemy... (45LV) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a few pics of my 55 mirror with the convex glass. Not only does the 55 mirror look like it was made for the 45LV but mounting on the door gives great visibility. Fender mounted mirrors are too far away from the driver and we're a bad idea even in the 50s.
View attachment 2662361
View attachment 2662363View attachment 2662360
x2 on the location being perfect for the LV, and at this point so many LVs have gone with these mirrors I bet a lot of people have no idea they weren’t factory correct. I think I like that convex solution so much, I’m going to have to do the same to mine. Nicely done as always Gene!

Thanks Nathan. If you have a hard time finding the convex mirrors let me know. I believe I had to grind mine down slightly to make them fit and I can always send you a pair. Yeah the convex is the way to go. I even did this on my 60.
IMG_20210501_171433461.jpg

This is next on the list of things to do on the LV! I have been struggling with the poor mirror visibility. How did your remove the old mirrors? Thanks Gene!
I didn't. The great thing about mirrors these days is the reflective surface is on the face of the glass. It used to be on the backside of the glass. Once you have your convex mirror ready, pump some clear silicone behind it and tape it in place on top of your original flat mirror until it dries. Give it 2 days to be safe. When the silver was on the backside of the glass there was a chance of the silicone eating through the silver leaving a dark spot.

Last edited:
Yeah the reason it is now applied to the face of the glass (number 1 surface) is for safety. With the silver being on the back of the glass (number 2 surface) you actually get a double reflection, one off the face of the glass and one off the silver. Not that anyone ever noticed that before with the glass being less than 1/16" thick.

I am having trouble with the size of mirror? I need a 5.5" and all I find is 5" or 6". The 5" just leaves too much reflective space around it that it is distracting. How did you grind yours down LCJ?

Well, I've been working in the glass fabrication trade for the last 42 years so I can do pretty such anything I want with glass. Post up a pick of the mirror housing that these mirrors are going into. My guess is that I bought a 6" and ground it down to a 5.5". On my 40 and 60 I used silicone to attach the new convex mirror right onto the surface of the original flat mirror.

Go with 100 grit to take the glass down, 400 grit to finish polish. You've got to be patient and take off a little at a time and keep the sander moving. Staying in one place will heat the glass and crack it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom