o’rielly green coolant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
not sure if i missed this in the FAQ but i’m bringing my lx450 in for a flush.

not sure what “dex cool” compatible is but can i buy any one of these or best to not buy certain ones for some reason?!

i have green in there now and just want something reliable that i can pick up offf the shelf on the road. i guess i need “ethylene glycol base” (whatever that is) and a greater than 50% mix of concentrate but less than 70% concentrate?

any additional education i can get on the topic would be great.

THANKS

75% sure when i made the switch to green i ended up running the yellow prestone concentrate + distilled h20.

I just read the label to make sure it had the right components and said good enough.

Half of mud will tell you that you have to run red. Doesn't make a difference except for price. And if you're out in the middle of nowhere and need to add coolant, good luck finding red unless your'e with other OCD mud members.

Agree with the above post, lots of people on mud are very particular about that sort of stuff.. I run peak green and it does the trick fine. Also, why so expensive there? I buy it from harbor freight for 7.99$, I’d check that out!

75% sure when i made the switch to green i ended up running the yellow prestone concentrate + distilled h20.

I just read the label to make sure it had the right components and said good enough.

Half of mud will tell you that you have to run red. Doesn't make a difference except for price. And if you're out in the middle of nowhere and need to add coolant, good luck finding red unless your'e with other OCD mud members.
so i bring them the one on the bottom and some distilled h20? any idea how much of each? my brain is ground beef right now...

If you have red in there currently then only add toyota red. If you have green in there you can run green. Don't mix red and green as it can create a sludge.

Run a MAX 50%/50% water/glycol (coolant) mix. Coolant aids mainly in freeze protection, distilled H2O has a better specific heat capacity than coolant which means it is better at carrying heat out of the engine per unit of flow. In the summer I run a 25% coolant 75% distilled H2O mix.

Agree with the above post, lots of people on mud are very particular about that sort of stuff.. I run peak green and it does the trick fine. Also, why so expensive there? I buy it from harbor freight for 7.99$, I’d check that out!
thanks. so same deal. just pick 50/50 or get the concentrate and
mix it yourself with distilled h2O...?

I replaced my entire cooling system when I bought my cruiser. I filled it with a mix of Oreilly’s house brand green coolant and distilled water. My temps are perfect , even during the hot Texas summer months. No Regerts! 👍🏼

If you have red in there currently then only add toyota red. If you have green in there you can run green. Don't mix red and green as it can create a sludge.

Run a MAX 50%/50% water/glycol (coolant) mix. Coolant aids mainly in freeze protection, distilled H2O has a better specific heat capacity than coolant which means it is better at carrying heat out of the engine per unit of flow. In the summer I run a 25% coolant 75% distilled H2O mix.
thanks. so you lower the percentage of coolant/glycol in the summer because the greater percent of distilled water keeps the engine cooler is that it?
and then bump up the coolant to 50% during winter if it might freeze...?

Get yourself a coolant tester from the napa or any autoparts store like this one:
Coolant Tester

Then you can see what the freezing point of your mix is. Check it against charts you can find on the web like this one:
freezept.gif

In my area I will never see -40 and if I do it would only be for maybe an hour. So in the winter I drain my top tank and add concentrate until I get to about a 50/50 mix (usually do this the same time I blow out my sprinkler system). Then in the summer (when I turn my sprinkler on) I drain the top tank and add distilled h2o until I get closer to a 25% coolant / 75% water mix (usually takes me about 3 or 4 drains)

You do this by using the tester to see what the freezing point is and referencing the chart.

The rig won't "run cooler" it just increases the efficiency of your cooling system, so it is capable of shedding more heat in extreme conditions.

There is a fair amount of science behind the specific heat capacity of each fluid and the mixes of said fluids but to keep it very simple just remember these points:
  • Coolant is a solution and has items held in suspension which increases the boiling point (good)
  • Distilled Water does not have (or has very very few) items held in suspension and has a lower boiling point (bad)
  • Water has a much better specific heat capacity (good)
  • Coolant + Water has a higher boiling point and a better heat capacity (best of both worlds)
    • Then you just tune the mix for the time of year you are in and be happy
If you want to go down a rabbit hole I explained this in painful detail in this thread about an (IMO) scam product:
Evans Waterless coolant

Last edited:
Distilled water??? Are you crazy??? You must ONLY put pure EVIAN in there!

Only half kidding. I bought some Royal Purple corrosion inhibitor recently and it said to add with bottled drinking water. NOT distilled water.

There is a ton of back and forth on what water to put in; Distilled, Reverse Osmosis (RO), tap ect....

Here is my take; I run Distilled because it has the least amount of suspended elements. You don't want suspended elements in the water, Tap water varies greatly across this country and almost all of it has calcium in it (among other minerals). I can always spot a radiator that has had tap water in it because of the calcium build up. This buildup happens inside the coolant passages and in the radiator fins which decreases thermal transfer capacity.

From my research most people go for distilled or RO, I've not seen any issues from those using RO water. Distilled water is cheap and available at the store which is why I use it and haven't had any issues or deposits.

I also run a water wetter when I put my summer mix in, this reduces the surface tension of the water which prevents bubbles which keeps the coolant in better contact with the hot surface it's drawing heat from.

thanks. so you lower the percentage of coolant/glycol in the summer because the greater percent of distilled water keeps the engine cooler is that it?
and then bump up the coolant to 50% during winter if it might freeze...?
I would not mess with all that. 50/50 provided your system is working correctly.

I just buy the cheapest OReilly 50/50 premix. That way I don't have to worry about getting the mix ratio correct and I can keep the extra around to top up the system over the day or so that it finishes purging air. I change the coolant every 12 months as a way to catch up on cleaning the system out, which was dirty when I bought it, and to be sure that the corrosion inhibitors/etc. are always in great shape. Truck runs cool, thanks to a refreshed fan clutch and newer radiator and the coolant changes are quick and easy.

thanks gents. 50/50 it is. lots of options there and frankly i found it confusing. another dumb one please?! how many do i need to buy for a full purge of the system...?
Can't tell ya off the top of my head but theres a handy little book in your glove box that will ;)

edit, found this in a 30 second search:

Can't tell ya off the top of my head but theres a handy little book in your glove box that will ;)

edit, found this in a 30 second search:

View attachment 1959519

yeah. thanks. someone posted a cheat sheet i have here on the dash. but i’m brain dead when it comes to doing these conversions. 15 liters plus 10% i think it was? and these are 128 fl oz. containers. guess i’ll see if the math part of my brain is working.

yeah. thanks. someone posted a cheat sheet i have here on the dash. but i’m brain dead when it comes to doing these conversions. 15 liters plus 10% i think it was? and these are 128 fl oz. containers. guess i’ll see if the math part of my brain is working.
It's also listed in quarts right next to that. 4 qts in a gallon. Usually those jugs are 4 quarts?

It's also listed in quarts right next to that. 4 qts in a gallon. Usually those jugs are 4 quarts?

thanks. i can’t do these liquid conversions to save my life. so seems like 14.5 quarts plus a little would be 4 - 4 quart jugs i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom