Opinions wanted - 2013 lx (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for opinions- we have been searching for a lx 570 in the northeast for a few months. We just happened upon a 2013 lx at a dealer close to us, just traded a few days ago, hasn’t gone through any dealer inspections/repairs yet. They listed it at 30k, just over 100k miles.
The bad- rear bumper and taillight cracked, many paint dings, AHC not working.
The dealer is going to have it all looked at and repaired if they don’t lose money, otherwise they will send to auction.
It drive beautifully and carfax shows well maintained. Frame in good condition, little rust. I think the Ahc failed and previous owner decided to trade it rather than diagnose. Could be a hose, could be the whole system, we just don’t know yet.
Thinking of putting a deposit down (fully refundable) and seeing how this pans out. Worst case, we move on. Best case, fully repaired Ahc system that will hopefully last many more miles. Obviously we would get our own PPI.
Thoughts? Thanks!

Are you handy to diagnose and fix AHC by yourself? Because if not, then you won’t find many (unless another forum member) that will touch that system, including Lexus dealers.

How is it that they believe AHC is failed? In most failure states of AHC, ride quality would be compromised.

Does it not go up/down? All doors and hatch have to be closed for this function to work.

How is it that they believe AHC is failed? In most failure states of AHC, ride quality would be compromised.

Does it not go up/down? All doors and hatch have to be closed for this function to work.
There was a dash warning- check 4 wheel drive /AHC. It did not go up it down when hitting the button. Seemed to be stuck in normal, although I did feel it drop when I turned it off. Nothing happened when playing with the switch. I know, I thought it was weird that it drove so well. I don’t know enough about it to guess what the issue is.

There was a dash warning- check 4 wheel drive /AHC. It did not go up it down when hitting the button. Seemed to be stuck in normal, although I did feel it drop when I turned it off. Nothing happened when playing with the switch. I know, I thought it was weird that it drove so well. I don’t know enough about it to guess what the issue is.
100% pass its not well maintained if the ahc doesn't work and it's dinged to hell, what else did they half ass/neglect is the question. I paid $33xxx plus tax for my 2013 with 92,000 a couple months ago, every works fine and the truck is immaculate looking.
Save yourself a headache and look for another truck I am also in the northeast in NY.

Gotcha. As others have mentioned, I would probably give the car a pass for the combined faults.

Gonna throw in my .02 and suggest you pass as well. AHC issue can get pricey and combine that with the other issues - it’d be a hard pass for me.

100% pass its not well maintained if the ahc doesn't work and it's dinged to hell, what else did they half ass/neglect is the question. I paid $33xxx plus tax for my 2013 with 92,000 a couple months ago, every works fine and the truck is immaculate looking.
Save yourself a headache and look for another truck I am also in the northeast in NY.
Per OP, carfax shows well maintain. Remember, dealers don’t want to touch AHC either. AHC failing at 100k mi may not mean that it was not maintained.

I would say at 21-22k I’d look into further, but at 30, as others have said, plenty of other fish in the sea. And this is assuming you are handy and willing to do some research and wrenching yourself. otherwise Definitely stay away.

I had one of the rear AHC lines on my 2013 LX 570 go out under CPO warranty. These systems do fail, which is also true of aftermarket stuff. This happened at around 50,000 miles. It cost close to $1,000 dollars for the dealer to fix and replace with new fluid and was covered under warranty. I washed the vehicle fairly regularly.

Per OP, carfax shows well maintain. Remember, dealers don’t want to touch AHC either. AHC failing at 100k mi may not mean that it was not maintained.
Car fax,auto check and all of that stuff do not mean anything its incredibly easy for someone to make up paper work, change odometer readings, fraudulent service history etc. Also it is covered in door dings, If you really cared about your truck would it be dinged up and have stuff that doesn't work on it. That is just my opinion not saying I am right but it is very one sided to me.

Thanks everyone! Can you find me a truck in the northeast (CT/MA/NY/RI) that is in good shape for less thank 35k?! 😆🤪
If your looking to keep it long term then buy one from a dealer in one of the southern states and have it shipped to you. They do it all the time. Phone video is like your standing right there. Don't over buy and don't over think it.

So I called the Lexus dealer who saw the truck right before it was traded. They dx the problem as a #1 height control valve (or something like that) and quoted 4900+ for the repair. No wonder they decided to junk it. Yikes. AHC seems like a big headache…no?

So I called the Lexus dealer who saw the truck right before it was traded. They dx the problem as a #1 height control valve (or something like that) and quoted 4900+ for the repair. No wonder they decided to junk it. Yikes. AHC seems like a big headache…no?
If this is how you feel, you should probably move on now to some other vehicle. Save yoursefl some heartache. This is @Madtiger's area of expertise, so i'll let him chime in for the gory details.

I have said enough in past about AHC. In your case, i would pass on it. Get a LC.

AHC seems like a big headache…no?
AHC seems super reliable and versatile to most people reading these forums for years. And I don’t have it!

I have said enough in past about AHC. In your case, i would pass on it. Get a LC.

$4,900? Thats too cheap to pass up! What a kind dealer!

@IslandlifeCT Can i have their contact info? JK...

As far as AHC, dont let that be a buying decision maker. It can be fully disabled with one relay pull if youre planning on replacing suspension anyway on an equivalent LC and you get the niceties of the Lexus for free if not cheaper. And you can probably part it out too.

Now as for the merits of KDSS, its pretty neat. And overall durable as hell.
The drawbacks of AHC, while even cooler IMO than KDSS functionally, is just the added "complexity".
KDSS is fully mechanical (until the 300 sadly). Thats kind of nice, and you get to keep it on regardless of suspension choice.
As far as stock for stock goes that is pretty much it.

Modifying AHC however is more of a hobby here than a science lol. So if you choose to go that route, be prepared to be constantly shoehorned into that niche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom