Opinions on this '02? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
02 LANDCRUISER WHITE 012.JPG
02 LANDCRUISER WHITE 003.JPG
02 LANDCRUISER WHITE 017.JPG
02 LANDCRUISER WHITE 016.JPG
02 LANDCRUISER WHITE 008.JPG

Looking to join the club, but I need y'all opinions on this LC. The body has little to no rust, but the frame is a bit concerning. Any opinions or thoughts help!

I would get a southern truck with no rust. Going to be a pain to loosen those suspension bolts. Might cost more upfront but will be cheaper in the long run to get a rust free 100.

That’s not bad, and it all looks easily fixable. Hell, my 100 has been in the Southwest it’s entire life and has some minor surface rust on it...

@boca1 Is right - the belt and brake fluid don’t look like they’ve ever been changed. Should def be top of the maintenance list if you buy it...along with timing belt/wp job if no record of it being done recently...along with wheel bearings, etc.

@boca1 Is right - the belt and brake fluid don’t look like they’ve ever been changed. Should def be top of the maintenance list if you buy it...along with timing belt/wp job if no record of it being done recently...along with wheel bearings, etc.
CarFax is spotty, most recent report is from 2017. Front Struts were replaced.

Southern, Western, Northwest states would call that a rust bucket and say run for the hills.
Eastern, Midwest, & Northern states would call that pristine showroom condition, grab it before somebody else does.

All in all that's not too bad really, especially for a local Jersey rig, but if you get it, go at that rust and treat it before winter salt arrives on the roads.

but seriously, rust looks like minor surface rust. Looks like new radiator hoses - how is the coolant? Regular oil changes? Transmission fluid red or brown? Take a look at the air filter (fuel filter looks ready for replacement). Tire looks like it is wearing evenly. Look at the power steering fluid - level ok? any fluid leaks around the tie rod boots - looks fine in the pictures, as does the CV boot. How is the body rust? Look around windshield and rear window frames. How many miles? Timing belt been serviced, or time for it? Post some topside pics!

but seriously, rust looks like minor surface rust. Looks like new radiator hoses - how is the coolant? Regular oil changes? Transmission fluid red or brown? Take a look at the air filter (fuel filter looks ready for replacement). Tire looks like it is wearing evenly. Look at the power steering fluid - level ok? any fluid leaks around the tie rod boots - looks fine in the pictures, as does the CV boot. How is the body rust? Look around windshield and rear window frames. How many miles? Timing belt been serviced, or time for it? Post some topside pics!
Screenshot_20191115-112025~2.png
Screenshot_20191115-111939~2.png

I'm most likely going to bring a mechanic or have it looked at by an LC mechanic in Jersey. A lot of what you mentioned I have no idea how to look for if it's good or bad. I've never been experienced with cars and this is going to be my learning experience.

Screenshot_20191115-111931~3.png

Body looks good. Mileage? If you’re not DIY, then maintenance costs (labor) are going to be expensive if it has >150k miles.

I've never been experienced with cars and this is going to be my learning experience.
Rig looks great. If it’s in good mechanical condition, your learning experience will be a slow one. It’s always a pay to play. If you buy, join your local LC club and wrench/watch as much as you can with them.

I think it looks good. With spotty service history I would budget having to do the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, and all fluids. Some local shops may charge you around 1k for all of that but shop around.

after all that is done, you will feel comfortable stacking all the miles up!

I'm most likely going to bring a mechanic or have it looked at by an LC mechanic in Jersey. A lot of what you mentioned I have no idea how to look for if it's good or bad. I've never been experienced with cars and this is going to be my learning experience.

Good Plan - make sure you find out about Timing Belt service - should be done every 90k or so. Not an easy first DIY job, not sure what the dealers charge (1000+). Good idea to change water pump while you are in there.

Looks Sharp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom