Opinions on FJ60 vs. FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I recently sold my 84 FJ60 and am considering the below FJ62.

1988 Toyota Land Cruiser

I was curious about the differences in opinion on them. I know they are automatic and have some different lights and power windows and fuel inj, etc, but are they still as capable off road? Still as dismal in terms of MPG? Seems like a good buy.

Any and all thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

62 has fuel injection.....big plus

62 has stronger frames and carriers...big plus

62 has 4:11...big plus

I love the auto wheeling....just slap in a after market tranny cooler

60 series has a standard tranny....big plus....transfer into 62...instant horsepower;).

Man-o-man is this an overasked quesiton, the search function is your friend...

I wheel with a friend with a 62 while I have a 60. We have modified them almost the same and once one of us finds something he likes the other one usually follows suit. There is no place I have been that he cant go and vise versa. The are different challanges associated with each truck but one is not better than the other IMHO. I personally like a manuel tranny for easing along trails without using the brakes. I also feel that the engine in the 60 is easier for myself to work on. The biggest reason I had for a 60 was that I was afraid of what happens when and if the tranny in a 62 goes out, but I dont think you can go wrong either way.

I use my two FJ62's my wife takes Pete (320K+) I drive Virgal (160K+) every day and I have to say now that I have automatic transmissions I would never go back, getting older and lazy its alot easier on a bad back not to have to shift all the time. I also feel they do get a little better MPG from the Fuel Injection. I have taken both of them into places you would not want to be in with any other type of FWD. just my two cents worth,

PS I am a little curious about all the oh bad transmisions story's for the FJ62 I have yet to have a problem how ever I take good care of them.

I use my two FJ62's my wife takes Pete (320K+) I drive Virgal (160K+) every day and I have to say now that I have automatic transmissions I would never go back, getting older and lazy its alot easier on a bad back not to have to shift all the time. I also feel they do get a little better MPG from the Fuel Injection. I have taken both of them into places you would not want to be in with any other type of FWD. just my two cents worth,

PS I am a little curious about all the oh bad transmisions story's for the FJ62 I have yet to have a problem how ever I take good care of them.

As long as you keep the autos cool and tranny fluid changed etc along with a after market cooler..........they will go for some time.

You get some folks that will not maintain them and then FREAK when they die. I have also seen some folks almost get rid of their auto OR cruiser altogether cause they thought the tranny was bad when all it was the kickdown cable.

"As long as you keep the autos cool and tranny fluid changed etc along with a after market cooler..........they will go for some time."

cruiser 88. Thats what I was thinking if you dont maintain it with service they will be a problem but so will anything for that matter.

never had a 60, i have an 88 62, paid 4k for it with 172k miles and it runs, and wheels just fine. i re- built the knuckles, had the gas tank recall done (free) put a locker in the rear, it does me just fine. can get 13-15 mpg hwy if i keep my foot out of it, 10-11 mpg in 4wd or 80 on the interstate, 15 in tires. i'm also older and lazy and kinda like the auto, no troubles with that to date either...........the one your looking at doesn't look abused, give it a look, see were its leaking and do a compresion test and see what you come up with. for the price, could be worth it. i'm happy with my 62!

I'm curious about what is behind the grey paint.

A well maintained 62 will never give you much trouble. [With the 62 you also get ~2.3:1 in the transfer (the 60s are ~1.9:1 IIRC).] WRONG :doh:

Last edited:
I'm curious about what is behind the grey paint.

A well maintained 62 will never give you much trouble. With the 62 you also get ~2.3:1 in the transfer (the 60s are ~1.9:1 IIRC).

2.28 in both 60 & 62. Definitely prefer the 60 - simplier, all mechanical, no computer to screw things up. But the real reason is that my wife and I despise autos.

There is definitely debate ad nauseum over 60 vs. 62, even in my own head. I got tired of wanting this and not wanting that, so my 62 is getting
"60-ized" ....manual windows, round lights, manual tranny, etc. It's old school type stuff, with 3rd world type reliability, and I dig it and I get all the stuff I like about a 62.
Yes, you can have both.:cheers:

I found my 60 getting better mileage - that may have to do with a desmogged 2F - but the 62 ran very well and still only got 13 or 14 max - my 60 regularly gets 17 on the highway. I think a manual behind the FI could do very well.

I just sold my 60 and just bought a 62. I sorta miss the manual. But the fuel injection, lower gears, and powere locks/windows are nice

Man-o-man is this an overasked quesiton

X a million !! BUT . . . Why make it '60 OR '62? I'd like to have both!! :D

I'd like a iaintscared-Vortec-powered '60 with a springover . . .

AND

my '62 for quiet Sunday afternoons !!

That'd be cool !!

:bounce2:

I suppose it depends on what you want it for. I love my 60 because is is manual everything... I love how simple it is. I also love the round eyes- totally a looks thing there.

When I was purchasing my current truck, it seemed like at least around here that there were a lot more 60's in good shape than there were 62's. Of course that could just mean the 62 owners aren't selling...

I have both. 87 FJ60 and a 1990 FJ62. Once you get sick of the never ending starting battles with the 60, you will kiss your 62 each time that you just turn the key and it simply starts.:clap:

I've owned both. I would not have a problem getting another 62
and if and when the tranny goes out. I'd get a 5 speed and do the
conversion, as several on the board have done. That would be sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom