Opinions on Mud Tire/lift option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To fellow 60 Series Owners and Enthusiasts,

I am considering some lift/mud tire options for my cruiser. I like to keep the car close to factory specs; however, I am open to making modifications that bring a significant improvement in appearance and offroad performance (I live in Augusta, GA, and do not do heavy off-road trail rides just on farms/hunting land and such). The Michelin tires are great. However, I am looking for the Goodrich tires that will make the vehicle look less pedestrian, if that makes sense. Let me know if I should go with the Old Man Emu suspension with some larger tires or mud tires that fit the factory specs; thanks!

I ran some mud tires but mostly did a lot of highway driving and dirt road driving where mud tires aren’t needed.
On a few hill climbs, the mud tires definitely dug in deeper and got me over the top where an all terrain tire would have lost traction.
But I wasn’t happy with all the noise they made on the highway so I didn’t buy them again when I needed new tires. Went back to All-Terrains

I went with OME from Cruiseroutfitters some years back. I always thought they should have come from the factory with the stance and lift/look it gives the truck. I run BFG AT 33's and I think it looks just right, the ride is just as good as factory, not too stiff. Give Kurt a call!

I'm based in NC and I'm in the Blue Ridge mountains and OBX for most of my off highway driving. IMO, there's not a lot of places east of the Mississippi where you can truly use a lift and 33+ tires. Maybe Uwharrie or on the club group trail rides on private land.

My setup is KYB Gas-A-Just shocks at stock height + BFG KO/2s 10.5x31, this has gotten me almost everywhere even with a non-engaging front axle for most of it. I stick with 31s since I had my rear diff rebuilt with stock-ish tires and height in mind. IMO, if you're in north GA for any trails, you will need a regear to run 33+. Our mountain highway slopes are much more severe of an angle than they have out west because the roads were graded before we learned about modern road building techniques.

I would start with a fat 31 AT and see if that gives you the look you want. BFG KO/2s rule this segement with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs being another good option. You need a good amount of tread block siping for this truck to be safe on the highway with water and that's why an AT is a good choice. We don't have ABS, so wet tire traction is key. Mud terrains make more sense for dedicated trail rigs in locals like Moab or Florida swamps.

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

Check out a thread on here about ‘tires and wheels that work on a 60’. It’s got pics from a few dozen rigs with stated tires / suspension components.
I’ve had OME exclusively on my 3 different cruisers. 40 / 74 / 60. Standard 2” lift with medium rate spring and any BFG AT up to 285/75R16 would fit

OME lift came in my truck when I bought it a few months ago. It now has 33” BFG KM3s on it.

IMG_6834.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom