Opening an H55F to find the bush? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, when you are finished laughing.......I dropped the little plastic gearshift bush into the box when trying to take it out to replace it. Let's just say I would have made the sailor blush :bang::bang::bang: dumb a$$ @#*&*##@%$%$*!!*!

What would you suggest is the best way for me to get it out? Can I remove the top cover without too much risk, and if so, what should I be wary of when putting it back?

Thanks for any help!

iv removed the top plate from my h55. easy work if you have your trans tunnel cover off. a new gasket/sealant would be a good idea. It can be a little tricky to get the shift fork back in its proper location but its not something to be wary of.

it might be possible to get it out through the drain - I'll go look at mine on the bench - nope, won't fit

The cover is the only way. And you'll have to take the tunnel cover off unless you want to drop the tranny out. How's our clutch and rear seal?

Thanks guys, been under the truck for the past few hours but I finally got it out :) Safe to say I will be a lot more careful next time.

I was not able to lift the cover off even though I took the tunnel cover off - there was not enough space to clear the selector arms. But I lowered the transmission - took off the cross member and lowered it down a few inches on a jack. That gave me enough space to lift the cover off through the tunnel hole. I drained the oil before - glad I did because I noticed some metal flakes - so I'll give it a flush soon.

Fitting back was a bit tricky - the first attempt only left me being able to select 3rd and 4th. Took it off again, lined it all up nicely and now she shifts through all the gears. She'll get a road test in the morning.

Appreciate the help! Thank you.

Good work!

Betcha won't do that again! :bang:

:whoops::whoops:pretty rare that ever happens, but when it does...

Good to hear it all worked out for you ...

Rob

It is very upsetting when that happens, but you can get it out through the drain hole, a solid pice of wire with a hook and pull. The bush is no good after.Saves taking the lid off.

Some pics

Hey guys, thanks - and I'll try my best never to let that happen again :eek:

Anyways, just in case someone has this hassle again, here are some pics of the top cover and gear box. (Sorry about the names/terminology, gearboxes are new to me)

As you can see on the top cover, there are two selector rings and a latch/lever. They extend about 8-10cm below the cover seal. The transfer tunnel hole is offset a bit to the right so you cannot just lift it straight up with the gearbox in position - you will need to increase the space between the gearbox and the body to allow the selector arms to clear the gearbox case so that you can shift the cover to the right and then up. You'll also notice that the one selector rod protrudes out the rear of the cover and attaches to a selector thingy-ma-bob on the top (rear) of the gearbox. This connection is a nuisance to get back on for those of us with only two hands....

In the second picture you can see the two smooth rings where the selector arms fit, you'll also see a pin inside on the right of the gearbox (next to the big selector gear) where the latch/lever fits onto.

What you can't see in the pics is the plastic bush buried under all of those gears :whoops:

Fitting the cover back was relatively easy, make sure the selector arms and latch fit properly. If the cover does not sit flush - even the slightest wiggle - then you don't have all the bits aligned. Try again before fitting the bolts. I think there were 8 or 10 bolts, 14mm head.
gearbox (2 of 2).jpg
gearbox (1 of 2).jpg

The rod protuding out the back is to actuate fitth gear. And it is a pain even with the tranny on the bench. Mostly the rubber boot that goes over it and trying to get the fifth shift arm back in the boot as you line up the shift forks etc. It's not the worst thing ever - just a pain. I see the oil seal there on that rod - did you get the boot back on? don't see it in the photos.

I have a related comment since we are on teh topic of that bushing.

I just did my tranny rebuild and installed that bushing into the seat where it sits. I had to tap it in with a fair bit of force. She was pretty snug. Now my shifter lever won't pop in there cuz its so tight the ball on the end of the lever won't get past. I haven't gotten "medieval" on it yet but I forsee a challenge comming on final assembly.

Any comments?

I have a related comment since we are on teh topic of that bushing.

I just did my tranny rebuild and installed that bushing into the seat where it sits. I had to tap it in with a fair bit of force. She was pretty snug. Now my shifter lever won't pop in there cuz its so tight the ball on the end of the lever won't get past. I haven't gotten "medieval" on it yet but I forsee a challenge comming on final assembly.

Any comments?

Mine was not overly tight to refit, had to give it a bit of lube on the bush and ball and a bit of nudge. I'd imagine a subtle bump with a block of wood and mallet on the collar should be okay. But only try that when you are ready to go.

Theo - think it is I who is in good company :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom