ONSC Chat (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I planned out a trip to KC with a couple different Teslas via Go Anywhere | Tesla - https://www.tesla.com/trips . .and lets just say . . I won't be buying a Tesla for long trips any time soon.

15 hour drive stretched to 21 hours with 6 hours of charging required.
yeah, I hope it gets better in regards to infrastructure - some of the charging locations I've seen/been to are outrageous in regards to per kWh charge, and they also charge to 'park' while charging........ludicrous.....

I planned out a trip to KC with a couple different Teslas via Go Anywhere | Tesla - https://www.tesla.com/trips . .and lets just say . . I won't be buying a Tesla for long trips any time soon.

15 hour drive stretched to 21 hours with 6 hours of charging required.
It's really the only downside as of right now.

That said though what chargers were you using to use them for 6 hours?? Most tesla chargers found along interstates only take 45 minutes to charge up to a 350 mile range..... that's 3 charges at the most to get to KC presuming you started with a full charge??

yeah, I hope it gets better in regards to infrastructure - some of the charging locations I've seen/been to are outrageous in regards to per kWh charge, and they also charge to 'park' while charging........ludicrous.....

I see what you did there...

It's really the only downside as of right now.

That said though what chargers were you using to use them for 6 hours?? Most tesla chargers found along interstates only take 45 minutes to charge up to a 350 mile range..... that's 3 charges at the most to get to KC presuming you started with a full charge??

@lt1fire - that was exactly what I would have thought based on videos of trips I have seen, their info, etc. I think you have to also build in the time off/on the interstate.

The same Google Route is 15 hours 50 mins, so I cheated Tesla out of an hour there.

Maybe they also knew I would be lifting my new Model X and putting on some ATs?

That was from Tesla's site that supposedly is the same as the in car stuff.

Charges alone were 55, 65, 70, 65 and 35 mins. Guessing the rest of the time was getting on/off the Interstate. 5x10 mins for that maybe? = 6 hours unless my math is bad (which it can be)

I tried to plan a stop at a destination charger in Louisville, but there was nothing close to any of the hotels I wanted to stay at. I ain't leaving my new Model X 30 mins from the hotel over night taking a uber back and forth.

Electric vehicles are indeed cool, but by no means ready to take over. The infrastructure for charging is not there for charging, to begin with. There is not enough electricity to go around already. Do not get me started on how "clean" electric vehicles are either. If I had a commute that would allow me to recharge at home, I'd certainly consider an electric car. But past that, not at this time.

On that note, I was at Burns Chevrolet today having a crankshaft position sensor "re learned" so I took that time to check out one of their electric cars, with the interest of what equipment is involved. Cool indeed. I can tell you that I wont be on the cutting edge of electric swaps :)

Electric vehicles are indeed cool, but by no means ready to take over. The infrastructure for charging is not there for charging, to begin with. There is not enough electricity to go around already. Do not get me started on how "clean" electric vehicles are either. If I had a commute that would allow me to recharge at home, I'd certainly consider an electric car. But past that, not at this time.

On that note, I was at Burns Chevrolet today having a crankshaft position sensor "re learned" so I took that time to check out one of their electric cars, with the interest of what equipment is involved. Cool indeed. I can tell you that I wont be on the cutting edge of electric swaps :)

The infrastructure is the biggest pain point in EVs scaling. The grid in virtually any major city would crash if a significant portion of the population were to come home and plug in. As someone in the semiconductor industry supplying EV development, the wants of OEMs to increase their platform voltage and develop new chargers to feed them faster and faster, the power requirements will only go up from here. We are lucky that a very small % (<2%) of the population drives EVs currently because if it were 20-25%, we would have issues. Serious infrastructure changes are needed before EVs can be adopted in significant numbers.

There will be slow charge offerings for home use but I would imagine most people will want a fast charger just "in case". Similar to cell phones, we could all use slow chargers for overnight charging but many have fast chargers just in case you have to revive your phone 15 minutes before leaving the house.

The infrastructure is the biggest pain point in EVs scaling. The grid in virtually any major city would crash if a significant portion of the population were to come home and plug in. As someone in the semiconductor industry supplying EV development, the wants of OEMs to increase their platform voltage and develop new chargers to feed them faster and faster, the power requirements will only go up from here. We are lucky that a very small % (<2%) of the population drives EVs currently because if it were 20-25%, we would have issues. Serious infrastructure changes are needed before EVs can be adopted in significant numbers.

There will be slow charge offerings for home use but I would imagine most people will want a fast charger just "in case". Similar to cell phones, we could all use slow chargers for overnight charging but many have fast chargers just in case you have to revive your phone 15 minutes before leaving the house.
agree - slow chargers won't work for most peeps (at least in their minds)........

Not sure about that... If a bunch of people with EVs come home and plug in even right now it might be OK. I'm pretty sure you can set a Tesla to wait to start until after peak when the power is cheaper. Peak daytime draw leaves a lot of room overnight. Slow charging for that should be OK.

Now the daytime recharging like on a trip will need to improve but with some planning you can get power to charging stations and once they improve the charge time it could be like stopping at a gas station. Maybe the charging stations need batteries/capacitors to store power for fast charges.

To me, the key is the battery technology, for range, cost, and capacity, storage options, etc. As those improve it opens up lots of options. That's what will be interesting to watch.

The good news is that peak charging in a solar powered world coincides with peak AC use, so . . .its all good in the electrical 'hood.

Its coming and fast. With brown and black outs currently, its scary stuff.

Get your solar panels while they are subsidized people, that Cybertruck with 3 motors, <3s 0-60 and 500 mile range gonna need a lotta juice to Asheville and back!

The good news is that peak charging in a solar powered world coincides with peak AC use, so . . .its all good in the electrical 'hood.

Its coming and fast. With brown and black outs currently, its scary stuff.

Get your solar panels while they are subsidized people, that Cybertruck with 3 motors, <3s 0-60 and 500 mile range gonna need a lotta juice to Asheville and back!
getting there.... well minus the Cybertruck, ahahhahaha......

turkey.png

Last edited:
Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf set of a/c lines to for converting to a GM peanut style compressor in a 60-series? If not, any recommendations for a shop that could fabricate some?

This is my impulse buy from last Friday. The price was way too good to be true from a college kid at UNC who was moving. Luckily, I grabbed it right when it was posted. 2009 Honda Ruckus, 3400 miles. Couple broken items which cost a few bucks to fix each but runs great! Most of the broken items will be replaced with aftermarket items anyways. My first scooter!

Plan is to use it for a pit bike for my track days and also as a little fun wrenching project. Already have a bunch of parts coming for it. Anyone else have a scoot?

adr6qCDjTG6GsAZW3nY27A.jpg

Not yet, but we were recently made aware of the existence of cooler scooters at GSMTR, and a few of us are planning on making ourselves some in the near future:

1624372110180.png

Not yet, but we were recently made aware of the existence of cooler scooters at GSMTR, and a few of us are planning on making ourselves some:

View attachment 2710845

Those things are real popular at race circuits for patrons and vendors alike. I bought many a water from one when the temp was 110+.
Seen a few with bigger motors and paddle tires at the sand drags.

The cooler scoots are awesome! We have a guy at the track who hands out beer on his at night to strike up conversations and meet people.

The ruckus fits my needs since I wanted an automatic that was road legal. Automatic makes it easier to carry stuff while riding. Carrying tires/fuel and going for beer runs will be it's main job at the track and of course running around the compound to watch some other groups race while I wait for my session.

This is my impulse buy from last Friday. The price was way too good to be true from a college kid at UNC who was moving. Luckily, I grabbed it right when it was posted. 2009 Honda Ruckus, 3400 miles. Couple broken items which cost a few bucks to fix each but runs great! Most of the broken items will be replaced with aftermarket items anyways. My first scooter!

Plan is to use it for a pit bike for my track days and also as a little fun wrenching project. Already have a bunch of parts coming for it. Anyone else have a scoot?

View attachment 2710822
that's super cool.

@Hokie LX - I have always wanted a Ruckus. Had the Big Ruckus, but a lil one would be cool as a pit bike!

I was in a Scooter Club, Dual Sport Club and LC Club in KC LOL. The smaller the CC's the angrier the club - the Ruckus guys were crazy.

Couple of my hot rods (stock photos not mine, but mine looked the same):

Owned two Honda Elite 250s including a mint one in white, and a blue/grey one I was going to rat out:

Honda Elite 250.jpg

Big Ruckus

Big Ruckus.jpg

@Hokie LX - I have always wanted a Ruckus. Had the Big Ruckus, but a lil one would be cool as a pit bike!

I was in a Scooter Club, Dual Sport Club and LC Club in KC LOL. The smaller the CC's the angrier the club - the Ruckus guys were crazy.

Couple of my hot rods (stock photos not mine, but mine looked the same):

Owned two Honda Elite 250s including a mint one in white, and a blue/grey one I was going to rat out:

View attachment 2711417

Big Ruckus

View attachment 2711419

I'm really enjoying it so far. Took it for a maiden voyage today. Ran strong but needs a tune up and my slew of new parts shows up over the next couple of days.

Those big ruckus's are cool and hard to come by nowadays!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom