One issue with ARB front bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been hashed to death and back, but I was pretty dead set on the ARB front bumper for my lx470.

However, I then found out they dont have any front recovery points on that bumper, which is a bummer, so I'd have to go with something from Trail Tailor which is absolutely a very solid option for front recovery points, but if I can have a bumper mounted recovery point I think I would rather go that route.

So, I've been looking more at Dissents offering by @benc and noticed on the front I'll call them triangle sections that separate the middle part from the "wings" it looks like there are some provisions for a recovery point.

My questions is that actually a recovery point or is that just a design element? And if so, is there a way to have the more squared LC looking bull bars over the more rounded LX bull bars on his bumpers?

Just get the RoadSafe recovery points out of Australia or the TrailTailor recovery points with your ARB and call it a day.

If you're dead set on integrated recovery points, look at the offerings from Mike at Bump It OffRoad.

I know this has been hashed to death and back, but I was pretty dead set on the ARB front bumper for my lx470.

However, I then found out they dont have any front recovery points on that bumper, which is a bummer, so I'd have to go with something from Trail Tailor which is absolutely a very solid option for front recovery points, but if I can have a bumper mounted recovery point I think I would rather go that route.

So, I've been looking more at Dissents offering by @benc and noticed on the front I'll call them triangle sections that separate the middle part from the "wings" it looks like there are some provisions for a recovery point.

My questions is that actually a recovery point or is that just a design element? And if so, is there a way to have the more squared LC looking bull bars over the more rounded LX bull bars on his bumpers?

Lack of recovery points is one large reason why I don't understand the appeal of the ARB front bumper. I understand there are other options to add recovery points, but these should be included at their price point.

I went with a Bump It Offroad bumper for my 100 Series and have had pretty good luck with their product. There are two high strength recovery points even on their base model front bumper, which I have used multiple times over with no issue. Highly suggest going this route, especially if you are in the Colorado area and can pick-up in person.

Agreed on either going with BIO bumper or adding the recovery points. I have the ARB up front and the Roadsafe points. Good setup for me, except the ARB hardware kit sucks and the bolt that comes through the frame is too long and is a bit close to the recovery point and a nuisance at times.

Just get the RoadSafe recovery points out of Australia or the TrailTailor recovery points with your ARB and call it a day.

If you're dead set on integrated recovery points, look at the offerings from Mike at Bump It OffRoad.

I think I saw you recommend this on another thread. And I checked out that eBay link from there.
Thank you!
I’ll check bump it off-road also!

Lack of recovery points is one large reason why I don't understand the appeal of the ARB front bumper. I understand there are other options to add recovery points, but these should be included at their price point.

I went with a Bump It Offroad bumper for my 100 Series and have had pretty good luck with their product. There are two high strength recovery points even on their base model front bumper, which I have used multiple times over with no issue. Highly suggest going this route, especially if you are in the Colorado area and can pick-up in person.

I checked out BIO bumper, and maybe its the pictures on their site, but that bottom looks abnormally large. It almost looks like they used a fish-eye lens to take the photo, do you happen to have a picture of your rig looking straight on so I can see what it looks like from a different perspective?

Agreed on either going with BIO bumper or adding the recovery points. I have the ARB up front and the Roadsafe points. Good setup for me, except the ARB hardware kit sucks and the bolt that comes through the frame is too long and is a bit close to the recovery point and a nuisance at times.

See, I love the way the ARB's look, its a very classic and iconic look, and I would probably be okay with the roadsafe or trail tailor, but I've read concerns with the captive nuts in the frame not being as strong for shock loads when using a snatch strap or something similar. Its honestly me over thinking it, but If I have a friend recovering me and my rig I dont want something failing, and him getting injured, I wouldn't be able to live knowing I didn't do everything I can to mitigate risks.

I checked out BIO bumper, and maybe its the pictures on their site, but that bottom looks abnormally large. It almost looks like they used a fish-eye lens to take the photo, do you happen to have a picture of your rig looking straight on so I can see what it looks like from a different perspective?

See, I love the way the ARB's look, its a very classic and iconic look, and I would probably be okay with the roadsafe or trail tailor, but I've read concerns with the captive nuts in the frame not being as strong for shock loads when using a snatch strap or something similar. Its honestly me over thinking it, but If I have a friend recovering me and my rig I dont want something failing, and him getting injured, I wouldn't be able to live knowing I didn't do everything I can to mitigate risks.

I get that and feel the same way, I have done a bunch of snow recoveries with this setup already. I like to hook up the rig from the front so I can see whats happening and no concerns with something not holding up. I use an ARB snatch and d-ring with this setup. Given that logic, the bumper ties into the same captive nuts so not sure if that's a concern. No harm in overthinking a big purchase.

I get that and feel the same way, I have done a bunch of snow recoveries with this setup already. I like to hook up the rig from the front so I can see whats happening and no concerns with something not holding up. I use an ARB snatch and d-ring with this setup. Given that logic, the bumper ties into the same captive nuts so not sure if that's a concern. No harm in overthinking a big purchase.

This gives me confidence in the road safes with your experience. Maybe if torqued down to spec (which do you know that off the top of your head) it's safe for recoveries. Thank you for your personal experience with this sort of recovery point!

I'd agree. If you're set on the ARB, either of the options presented will work without worry.

I've got the ARB and a set of the Trail Tailor points, and it seems I use them at least once (and often several times) on each trip out. I prefer the Trail Tailor points—local (-ish, stateside at least), and you can get a set that's been chamfered (I think that's what it's called?) for use with soft shackles. I've come to really prefer soft shackles, but regular d-rings work with the TT points as well.

They're also under the rig and don't hit your knees when you're under the hood working.

This gives me confidence in the road safes with your experience. Maybe if torqued down to spec (which do you know that off the top of your head) it's safe for recoveries. Thank you for your personal experience with this sort of recovery point!

I don't think I put a toque wrench on it, shame shame. I check them now and then or after a recovery just to make sure everything is good OK

>> Oh , the one other thing to consider is the bolts from the ARB hardware kit are too short, so you need to spend a few bucks on longer bolts. There is a side note on the roadsafe page that mentions this.

I don't think I put a toque wrench on it, shame shame. I check them now and then or after a recovery just to make sure everything is good OK

>> Oh , the one other thing to consider is the bolts from the ARB hardware kit are too short, so you need to spend a few bucks on longer bolts. There is a side note on the roadsafe page that mentions this.
Awesome! Thank you for all your help with this!

I'd agree. If you're set on the ARB, either of the options presented will work without worry.

I've got the ARB and a set of the Trail Tailor points, and it seems I use them at least once (and often several times) on each trip out. I prefer the Trail Tailor points—local (-ish, stateside at least), and you can get a set that's been chamfered (I think that's what it's called?) for use with soft shackles. I've come to really prefer soft shackles, but regular d-rings work with the TT points as well.

They're also under the rig and don't hit your knees when you're under the hood working.
I know its silly, and I love the way the Dissent bumper looks with the LC bull bar, but the LX bullbar just doesn't do it for me. Since it seems like people have had good experiences with those bolt on recovery points I feel better going that route.

I just placed an order from Trail Tailor's second row seat platform brackets, and if I go with the ARB bumper, I might as well order his recovery points.

Thanks for all your help with this!

Cheers!

Good call-out. TT has the bolts as well if you go that route.

I have the IronMan bumper (clone of the ARB) and have the RoadSafe tow points. I trust them 100%. I always use a bridle strap no matter what which divides the forces across both tow points. I like the RoadSafe versions because they have a forward offset which helps get the strap a little further out from under the front lip of the bumper. That's really good when you have any type of "off-angle" scenario. The RoadSafe points come with the longer hardware BTW.

I have the IronMan bumper (clone of the ARB) and have the RoadSafe tow points. I trust them 100%. I always use a bridle strap no matter what which divides the forces across both tow points. I like the RoadSafe versions because they have a forward offset which helps get the strap a little further out from under the front lip of the bumper. That's really good when you have any type of "off-angle" scenario. The RoadSafe points come with the longer hardware BTW.

Straying off topic briefly, but when your using the bridle strap (tree strap just as good?) How do you connect to the main snatch strap? Do you use a shackle, or would you think its OK to just route the bridle through the loop of the snatch strap?

I know its silly, and I love the way the Dissent bumper looks with the LC bull bar, but the LX bullbar just doesn't do it for me. Since it seems like people have had good experiences with those bolt on recovery points I feel better going that route.

I just placed an order from Trail Tailor's second row seat platform brackets, and if I go with the ARB bumper, I might as well order his recovery points.

Thanks for all your help with this!

Cheers!

The TT recovery points did not work with my arb bumper. I think you have to buy the recovery points, and the extra spacer from TT to get them to work. I could not figure out the spacer thing so I just used them as the rear points.

Straying off topic briefly, but when your using the bridle strap (tree strap just as good?) How do you connect to the main snatch strap? Do you use a shackle, or would you think its OK to just route the bridle through the loop of the snatch strap?

8ft tree strap. I connect on end to the tow point with a shackle. I then "run" the tree strap thru eyelet of my 2nd tree strap and connect the other end to the other tow point with another shackle. At that point, I have created a "Y". I then connect the end of my winch line (Factor55) to the 2nd eyelet of the tree strap with a soft shackle. It's a bit of a process. But, it allows me to divide the force across multiple points instead of one. I can set that rigging up quite quick.

Here's a video:

8ft tree strap. I connect on end to the tow point with a shackle. I then "run" the tree strap thru eyelet of my 2nd tree strap and connect the other end to the other tow point with another shackle. At that point, I have created a "Y". I then connect the end of my winch line (Factor55) to the 2nd eyelet of the tree strap with a soft shackle. It's a bit of a process. But, it allows me to divide the force across multiple points instead of one. I can set that rigging up quite quick.

Here's a video:

Just what I had in mind,thanks for the video share.

I think that two point bridle strap recovery is the way to go. Even if it’s an easy recovery, less chance of failure, more contact points and less stress on a single point.
Good call!

In regards to Ben's Dissent bumper for the LX with LC bull bars question --- this is what I wanted as well but Ben said it would not work since the LX hood needs more clearance, thus the design for LX is different. I personally would love the LC bars on my LX if I went this route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom