Onboard Air - Fast filling options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, some good responses. At the very least its initiated some good discussion (which keeps the forum interesting and alive).

While your design looks cool on paper, to me I see too many failure points. However an OBA system is not "mission critical", so go for it.

I will add that if you're running ARB lockers, you'll want to regulate the pressure

Good point, i do like a challenge though, its a great way to learn (even if it doesn't work). Plus i like trying to do stuff that people say can't be done.

Wow, I see you must be an engineer

instead I'd use a mechanical "unloading" valve.

-I'd also have only one regulator set to 45psi instead of four because there's a high probability that all four will be few psi apart from each other.

- your volume of 6L isn't enough IMHO.

- carrying around four 3/8" air hose for tyre inflation duties is a bit much and a huge space hog, IMHO.

- Remember the flow rate of a 3/8" hose far surpasses the air flow through a tiny tyre valve stem.

Thanks, actually work in IT. Cars is just as a passion...

Good tip on unloading valve. Just trying to find one at a good price (seems they are like $120+.

I don't mind if the tyres are different, my aim is to get them up from 16psi to 40+ so they are safe to drive on the highway on the way home.

I want a tank to stop the compressor cycling regularly during operation of the lockers, but for filling the tyres it probably won't make much difference either way.

I am contemplating some of the monster valves... (Just waying up the cost).

The front brake cooling lines are a new one for me. Is this your idea or something you found somewhere? I question how effective and necessary this is.
Again its just an idea i would like to try. The biggest issue with most braking systems is heat. The big 4WD tyres don't allow much air flow around the rotor so it heats up and causing fade/increased wear. As i have an unlimited supply of air its not too difficult to run a small nozzle into the centre of the rotor to increasing cooling.

Another option is a CO2 tank (My is an IAS unit). I like my AC ;).
Thats why I'm retaining the A/C in addition to the york. I did consider a CO2 tank but i like the challenge of making a york system work.
He needs to look into the Hummer auto air up/down options........
Very cool, i wonder how hard it would be to modify the landcruiser axles? Again though makes it rather complex...

As much as I love engineering cool stuff I hate complexity and murphy’s Law dictates that failure will always happen at the most inopportune time. So I follow the KISS method as much as I can.
True although whoever I'm traveling with will be carrying a compressor and 99% of the time I figure they'll be borrowing my onboard system or worst case scenario just drive slowly to the nearest servo...

I'm not convinced it's any faster because the air flow is pinched down considerably by the regulator at each tire. As I mentioned previously, I think it *maybe* is faster just to fill each tire with full 100psi (or whatever your system is set for) vs using four regulated lines set for 45psi.

I think the novelty of this approach is the poor man's "automatic fill" ability but I could be wrong.

It may not be, but i like the idea of spending 30 seconds in the rain connecting valves, sitting the car for 5 minutes then just unclipping the lines. Standing around in the rain holding an air nozzle isn't my idea of fun (I'm in Victoria which is really south in Australia, while we don't get snow we do get heavy rains and fairly cold temps).

Once the tank is empty, the compressor is running at full noise.

Trying to fill four tires together, the tank is going to be empty before all four chucks are on valve stems.

As before, the tank is mainly to stop the compressor cycling during locker use. When refilling tyres the revs will be set to ~1400rpm and the york should be able to easily max out 4 tyres simultaneously.

I basically do the same thing, but I only do 1 side at a time. It works well. I too use it on my family cars.

I do exactly the same too, awesome technology, but I air up one tire at a time. Works great on family cars too
One hose to untangle, pack up and store. One chuck to deal with. No over-inflated tires because not watching.

Wish I'd thought of it sooner :flipoff2:

i may or may not be taking the piss!

@Feistl

You work in IT, funny, so did I for a couple of years!!

The unloading valve, is less than $20 US on this side of the pond. It's a simple unit, nothing fancy Link McMaster-Carr

Thanks for explaining your need to air up quickly due to the climate where you wheel. I agree, airing up in the rain sucks.

Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom