Onboard air compressor recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've found a bunch of threads on installing onboard air compressors in the engine bay, and it sounds like the ticket.
What do you guys recommend for a compressor around the $250 range?
I'll be running Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/65/18 here soon so I don't need anything crazy.
Thanks for the recs.

Having built several overland vehicles, My ONLY choice would be the ARB CKMTA12 12 vdc compressor with the Slee mounting bracket.
Personal experience: I hate having to sit by each tire to deflate and fill. A single compressor will take forever, especially when you're with a few buddies and they're all aired-up, ready to go and you're still futsing around filling your tires with your wheezing single air compressor. As a few people have noted, buy once, cry once. You will NOT regret it.
Since you're in Newport beach, you're close to SCUBA shops, so you could go with a tank option?
Amazon product ASIN B0050DI9YQ

Having built several overland vehicles, My ONLY choice would be the ARB CKMTA12 12 vdc compressor with the Slee mounting bracket.
Personal experience: I hate having to sit by each tire to deflate and fill. A single compressor will take forever, especially when you're with a few buddies and they're all aired-up, ready to go and you're still futsing around filling your tires with your wheezing single air compressor. As a few people have noted, buy once, cry once. You will NOT regret it.
Since you're in Newport beach, you're close to SCUBA shops, so you could go with a tank option?
Amazon product ASIN B0050DI9YQ

This! 100% This!

While it might sound like more $ right now, which it is, in the long run youll save $

I went through 3-4 cheaper compressors before finally getting the ARB dual.

If i would of started there, i would of SAVED $

An ounce of prevention saves a pound of headache

Reactions: r2m
I know you said mounted air but Viair make a really nice portable option that is super small. Just bought one for my ex wife. Seems to be of decent kit

Reactions: r2m
@jakemccurdy's video is what inspired me.

If you have the money, I might go with the ARB initially. I have no delusions that my modded Smittybilt will be as reliable as an ARB. After a year-ish of use, it's working great. I used the $400-$500 I saved on a 4-tire inflation setup and other mods I needed at the time. When it craps out, it should be relatively easy to swap in an ARB. I'm thinking of it as a cost deferral rather than a waste of money at this point.
There are a couple posts in my build thread starting here: Sheptastic 2015 GX460 Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sheptastic-2015-gx460-build.1282907/#post-14418311

I have a Smittybilt 2781 (was $170 last near but is now $220-ish) with a DIY bracket and hard-wiring to the battery, with conversion to a normal 1/4" QD chuck. I have maybe $300 in it total. I can inflate all 4 of my 32" tires from 18 to 32 psi in just over 5 minutes. I've also inflated up to 2 other rigs right afterwards, though when its warm the compressor has required a 5 minute rest period after tire 6 or so.

I honestly doubt an ARB would be must faster at all since they are both rated ~6 scfm. For the amount I use it (monthly or so), it works great. If I was wheeling more often, or if the Smittybilt craps out catastrophically, yes I'd get an ARB. But I'm not, and $600 is a lot for a tool that isn't used all of the time.

See install information in my build thread. It's for a 470 instead of 460 but most of the same concepts could likely be utilized.
20220521_092330 (2).jpg

What's this I'm hearing about the Smittybuilt 2871 having proprietary connectors etc? I want to be able to pick up parts at a home depot if I need to.

What's this I'm hearing about the Smittybuilt 2871 having proprietary connectors etc? I want to be able to pick up parts at a home depot if I need to.
I had to buy an adapter from the cylinder head to normal NPT fittings. I think it was around $12. The info on the adapter is in my build thread linked above. Everything beyond the cylinder head is all normal hardware store stuff. The Smittybilt route works best if you don't mind disassembling and modifying the compressor to get it to work, plus building the bracket.

If you'd rather have an off-the-shelf option, get an ARB and pre-made bracket (but you'll be in at around 2.5X the total cost of a Smittybilt that is just as fast).

They use Oz/Japan connectors IIRC so you can swap them out if need be, I think Jake's video above covers this. BTW, It appears that this Ironman4x4 version is the same as the smittybuilt and it's currently listed for $143. This is the version I use, although haven't gotten around to mounting it under the hood yet.

They use Oz/Japan connectors IIRC so you can swap them out if need be, I think Jake's video above covers this. BTW, It appears that this Ironman4x4 version is the same as the smittybuilt and it's currently listed for $143. This is the version I use, although haven't gotten around to mounting it under the hood yet.
I'd definitely get the Ironman version today at $143 - I went Smittybilt because they were the same price as an Ironman when I purchased.

FWIW mine has been installed for almost a year now.

This from Amazon got me to 1/4" and it was standard air fittings from there: Fitting Adapter 1/4” Male NPT to M12 x 1.25 M12X1.25 Male

Do you mean this?
Fitting
That's the one. Amazon links don't always display on my phone, so I just used the description. That got me into a 1/4" stainless tee where I added a pressure valve and a 1/4" chuck for my 4-tire hose system. I believe I got that part from Jake's video, or some other mod video on YouTube. This post shows it installed under the hood: Sheptastic 2015 GX460 Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sheptastic-2015-gx460-build.1282907/#post-14459701.

Looks like @Rednexus used a different pitch for his adapter. I went off of the pipe at the end of the handle, rather than straight off the cylinder. Maybe that accounts for the difference?

FWIW, I dont' know that I saved much money building my hose system over one of these: MORRFlate Quad (4Tire, Up to 125" Wheelbase) • MORRFlate by My Off Road Radio - https://morrflate.com/shop/morrflate-multi-tire-air-kits/morrflate-quad-4-tire-air-kit/. I did get to customize it though.

That's the one. Amazon links don't always display on my phone, so I just used the description. That got me into a 1/4" stainless tee where I added a pressure valve and a 1/4" chuck for my 4-tire hose system. I believe I got that part from Jake's video, or some other mod video on YouTube. This post shows it installed under the hood: Sheptastic 2015 GX460 Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sheptastic-2015-gx460-build.1282907/#post-14459701.

Looks like @Rednexus used a different pitch for his adapter. I went off of the pipe at the end of the handle, rather than straight off the cylinder. Maybe that accounts for the difference?

FWIW, I dont' know that I saved much money building my hose system over one of these: MORRFlate Quad (4Tire, Up to 125" Wheelbase) • MORRFlate by My Off Road Radio - https://morrflate.com/shop/morrflate-multi-tire-air-kits/morrflate-quad-4-tire-air-kit/. I did get to customize it though.
With the 2871, I can air all 4 tires in about the time it takes to do 1. IIRC, I can air up all 4 of my stock size tires in under 2 minutes.

Most likely that is the difference. Honestly, it's a pain to take apart the compressor to remove the handle, the only reason I went that way is because I broke off the factory pressure relief valve on the Smittybilt when trying to remove it to install a tee so I could add a 100-psi shutoff switch. So I removed the whole handle as it was a pain to try to extract the broken off relief valve. If I were to do it again, I would have cut off the OEM hose and added the shutoff switch at the end of the handle.

Here is the actual fitting I used:
Amazon product ASIN B07H93BKS8
My air-up setup is also dead simple and cheap:

Also useful for lots of other things too - I use it to air up bike tires when camping (albeit carefully and slowly).

My Two cents worth.
I run a York belt driven compressor with a small 5 gallon tank in the rear.
I regularly run with guys that have all the other compressors listed here and mine is by far the best at speed, NO NOISE!!
I turn it on a little before I stop, n I am ready when I stop to get er done.
I am finished with my 4th tire when they are starting their 3rd.

My Two cents worth.
I run a York belt driven compressor with a small 5 gallon tank in the rear.
I regularly run with guys that have all the other compressors listed here and mine is by far the best at speed, NO NOISE!!
I turn it on a little before I stop, n I am ready when I stop to get er done.
I am finished with my 4th tire when they are starting their 3rd.
Pics of how you have that set up? Certainly seems like a good option!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom