On Dash Clinometer/Compass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

New to the forum and seeking advice. I've a 13 year old 90 purchased from new with the on-dash multi info display (Compass/Temp/Clinometer). A couple of days ago the dials on the Left and Right hand side started to 'pulse/flicker' but are now dead. The centre meter still works OK though. I though initially that it was probably a dodgy connection so took it off the dash to have a look. Checked all the plugs and put it back together again - no change.

No sure what to do next, is it the unit that's kaput or is it an electrical fault somewhere. If it is kaput any idea where I can get a replacement - currently looking on eBay.

Photo of the unit attached.

Darth

Meter.jpg

I've never seen one like that before, pretty cool looking.

As far as testing it, I'd check the wires themselves, the wire could have cracked within the insulation or a solder joint may have cracked on the circuit board (I had a similar problem with my VW Passat door locks, the solder around the pins cracked around the pins so the locks would only work sporadically. You could barely see the crack but it was enough to disrupt the signal completely and had to be re-soldered where the clip met the board).

I'd assume that they're fully contained electronically (ie no remote senders or anything)?
So all that's going to them is a 12V+, dimmer control, and a ground, no?

Post a pic of the components themselves to give people a better idea of what's going on in there!

If you find a replacement, I'll take that one off your hands :D

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll take the unit off tomorrow and have a close look at the circuit board and take some photos. Strange thing is that the LED screens don't illuminate initially but once the car has been on the road for about 30 minutes they start to flash/pulse - weird.

sved

You are a star - many thanks indeed. I've found one and have asked for a price, waiting out.......

Dave

Glad i could help:)

Sved

Compass/Inclinometer ordered from Denmark on Monday, sent the same day by UPS, arrived in the UK this morning (Thursday), 20 minutes to take the old one out and install the new one - everything works fine.

Again, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Dave

Good to know it worked for you.
Yes that company has access to a wide range of spareparts and they deliver fast.

Do you see something that i don't see:confused??:

Hello,
This is my first Thread and i glad to find this forum and ask for Help.

I have the same problem( twice :mad:...)like Darth, on my multi info display (Compass/Temp/Clinometer), start 'pulse/flicker' display.
I bought one unit on ebay and ...:mad:.
Can someone help me to repair my unit multi info.
Is it an electrical fault... Can i fix the display...?

Thanks
Fonseca

hi there, the solution for this problem it that:
buy a 10kohm resistor, smd or pth is not really important.

disassembly the clinometer, and focus on the display board (the small one)
IMG-20180721-WA0015_zpsxcr3w4c0.jpeg~original

remove the potective coating with a small plastic scraper (gently) around R3 resistor
IMG_20180721_195044_zps78xcg5ey.jpg~original

Check if resistence is near 11kohm, otherwise, desolder it and change with the previous bought one.

Check if everything is working now, reassemble it and have an happy landcruising day.
IMG-20180721-WA0013_zpsllctbksl.jpeg~original

Greetings from ITALY.

Last edited:
hi there, the solution for this problem it that:
buy a 10kohm resistor, smd or pth is not really important.

disassembly the clinometer, and focus on the display board (the small one)
IMG-20180721-WA0015_zpsxcr3w4c0.jpeg~original

remove the potective coating with a small plastic scraper (gently) around R3 resistor
IMG_20180721_195044_zps78xcg5ey.jpg~original

Check if resistence is near 11kohm, otherwise, desolder it and change with the previous bought one.

Check if everything is working now, reassemble it and have an happy landcruising day.
IMG-20180721-WA0013_zpsllctbksl.jpeg~original

Greetings from ITALY.
You are invincible . I am so much obliged. It works and my inclinometer is now ok.

Is your compass working? mine that I installed on my 60 always looks like that with all of the "N" letters lit up all the time... also the altimeter on mine never changes. Were these sensors outside of the unit or are they built into it, does anyone know?

Is your compass working? mine that I installed on my 60 always looks like that with all of the "N" letters lit up all the time... also the altimeter on mine never changes. Were these sensors outside of the unit or are they built into it, does anyone know?
Yes all are N on mine also. But rest of things are ok. I think sensors are out of the unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom