On board CO2 can be a pain... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nitrogen is better for the tires since tire pressure does not fluctuate with temperature like regular air.

Why not just install an on board air system? A york setup is not that difficult. Cost wise, I think it is a wash since you never have to refill the york.

Assumes that there is room on the rig for a york. I had the choice between a york and PS. PS won.:grinpimp:

As I mentioned a CO2 tank is also very portable.

That said if I ever do a SBC, I would probably install a york. But I also have the CO2 tank to throw in the truck/car/rv.

Last edited:
Would a scuba tank work? They are tall and narrow and could be hosed clamped to your rollbar behind the seat...

While we're on the subject of air.. Don't forget to take the summer air out of your tires and refill them with fresh winter air. And remember, you don't want to take any chances on mixing them at those cheap filling station using old air. Always check first!

i have the 20 oz set up that i use for work and my arb's. as far as filling up tires they dont go very far. a 7 oz tank filled up my trailer tire for completely flat to 35 psi and thats about it. you can fill them off you bigger tanks but you have to make the filler thing. as far as the reg. gose i use the same one as the big tanks.

Would a scuba tank work? They are tall and narrow and could be hosed clamped to your rollbar behind the seat...

Compressed air has roughly the same characteristics as compressed nitrogen. Stored as a gas at high pressure and only about a 7:1 volume gain when it is released to your tires IIRC. CO2 is stored as a liquid at fairly low pressure (900psi). And it has about a 40:1 volume gain when you release it from the tank.

Mark...

Regular air is already 78% nitrogen, and tires aren't purged before they're filled with it.

I'd really love to see some sort of graph actually showing how much of a difference it actually makes.

if you really want to see a diagram I can probably find a PVT diagram in my book, but your kind of right, for the low pressures and small temperature changes offroad tires see it's not really worth it to use nitrogen, you would get more benefit from putting a drier on your fill source and just getting rid of the water in your tires.

Couldn't you refill the 20oz tanks with a 10lb tank by flipping the tank upside down? Or would that freeze the valve?

Mark, what are you using to adapt the CO2 tank to the valve stem?

Yes you can refill one at home, the fill stations are available from any paintball center or ebay. You can also swap out any CO2 tank for a tank that has a siphon built into it... for reaching the liquid CO2.

Rezarf <><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom