OME options for Roland, the Rocinante... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all,
A little back story.
I am planning to go OME on my 85 Toyota pickup. Right now it is perched on the stock springs with a few -2 up front 3- aft, leaves from a 79 Toyota SR5 -3/4 ton( that’s what it said on the title) 2WD truck. Apparently the rear suspension had been augmented by the PO, of the 79’. It looks like they re arched the pack and added 2 AALs I think.
It’s a budget build, so after I cleaned the packs up and got them re-installed and it rode like a beet truck with the stock shocks. Replaced the shocks with some SkyJackers( I know- remember budget build?) and that cleaned it up some, I ended up pulling one of the AAL from the rear, to soften the ride some. I had to put about 350# to get it a bit softer.
It is mostly a commuter-90 miles of gravel road once a week, the long term plan is replace the bed with a flatbed and topsider boxes, with a lumber rack.
Looking for about a 2-3” lift.
Planning to go with 16” steelies and run 235/85 R16 Toyos or Coopers, so a 32” tire basically? Should clear ok using stock Toyota steel wheels.
On the fence about the Nitrocharger shocks , I’m down with the rest -springs, shackles, just not sold on the Nitros, thinking about maybe going with Rancho RS9000xl. Thoughts?

Disclaimer- I do have a hybrid OME setup on my Tacoma, 883s w/Bilstein 5100, and the OME Exp HD w/AAL and Bilstein aft- might be adding another AAL just for weight, and the AlCan has some pretty beastly frost heaves. Absolutely love the ride, plan to keep this setup until I can get a wedge topper , then I may go custom. At that point.

Pics:
Roland on the way to work
Roland in the throes of spring rehab
Roland post spring work -last two
Roland will be getting an engine swap in June.

5C72C8AB-C956-4D09-B23B-4A91817B18F8.jpeg

754459E1-69EA-4D79-B713-15FD219C1763.jpeg

F939E0EB-EDF3-4BFE-86C6-76A85147D1D2.jpeg

C3E00306-90E9-4A59-AD2F-7AFC56B63092.jpeg

Last edited:
OME light/medium springs & Bilstein 5100 shocks have served me well enough on my toyota 4x4s (DD & weekend camping/trails).
I've heard the nitro shocks aren't the best value for the money. I've also heard Rancho, Skyjacker, and the other American lift suspension brands ride like 💩.
HTH.

It’s a tough call, I’ll probably go with the heavy pack, w/AAL. As I can always pull leaves out, if necessary.
Besides it will still be a working rig, so lots of hauling and towing, it’s a part of life here.

Better to have them on hand then have get them later given freight and other costs. I have to measure but I think they will also fit the Tacoma. Given the potential loads and tasking and towing, I prefer to err on the side extra capacity.

Most likely scenario will be to do this in stages, springs first then go for Bilsteins later, might as well get some use
Probably roll with the skyjackers for awhile before upgrading.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom