OME Lift Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, 4wheel parts installed my OME lift yesterday and I've got more play in the steering wheel after the lift than i had before. Going 60 down the freeway feels almost a little out of control. I can move the steering wheel about 3 inches back and forth before it "catches" and starts steering the vehicle. This never happened before. I'm sure someones dealt with this issue before. Any help?

So, 4wheel parts installed my OME lift yesterday and I've got more play in the steering wheel after the lift than i had before. Going 60 down the freeway feels almost a little out of control. I can move the steering wheel about 3 inches back and forth before it "catches" and starts steering the vehicle. This never happened before. I'm sure someones dealt with this issue before. Any help?

check your tie rod ends for excessive play. maybe in the lift install they tweaked on of them that was on its way out

yeah, i think he mentioned something about that and i wasn't listening cause i was too excited to look at my truck. what's the best solution for fixing the tie rod?

I guess that's another question. Do I have them fix the problem? It was steering perfectly fine prior to the install. Or, is this a common issue that I should be fixing on a 60 with 160k miles on it?

They have a 10 day checkup there too. You bring your rig back in and they re-torque everything and double check their work.

Has it been aligned yet?

My 60 drove for s*** when I first threw the alcans on... wandered all over the place. Aligning it really took most of the slop out. :D

i'm taking it back in later today. i talked with the guy and his response was, "well, not sure what we would have done to mess that up. all we did was shocks and springs."

what's the best way to go about this without throwing a fit in the store?

i'm taking it back in later today. i talked with the guy and his response was, "well, not sure what we would have done to mess that up. all we did was shocks and springs."

what's the best way to go about this without throwing a fit in the store?

i vote for the fit its more dramatic also at times the most effective. make sure you go after the manager especially if the mech give ya any lip.

good luck they will prob. deny any responsibility

I'd bet you its the TRE at the pitman arm/draglink. The new angles tend to wear old TRE out quickly. Mine was loose for a few weeks until it broke in a parking lot...not something you want to happen driving down the road:frown:

I'd bet you its the TRE at the pitman arm/draglink. The new angles tend to wear old TRE out quickly. Mine was loose for a few weeks until it broke in a parking lot...not something you want to happen driving down the road:frown:

so, in your opinion, is this something i should be dealing with, or should i have 4wheel parts fix it?

so, in your opinion, is this something i should be dealing with, or should i have 4wheel parts fix it?

i would get them to look at it and see what they say and as was said before see if they stand behind their work or they will tell you what needs to be fixed. I would push the it was fine before.

my .02

I think you've gotten good advice from the previous responses. When I had my truck lifted, I needed an alignment to basically recenter the steering wheel. Before the alignment could be done, I had to have all four connection points(tie rod ends replaced).

Ok, just got back from 4wheel. Does seem to be the tie rods. I've included pics. What's my best route here. Are there rebuild kits? OEM? Aftermarket? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_0051.jpg
IMG_0052.jpg

ALL CRUISER OWNERS TAKE NOTE: this is why you should not let non cruiser heades work on your cruiser. They always FU@# S%!T up.

"yeah, i think he mentioned something about that and i wasn't listening cause i was too excited to look at my truck."

Holly s*** man they admitted to screwing things up. Installing a lift should NOT have a dramatically negative affect on your steering. I hope you get them to fix things for you.

Dynosoar:zilla:

There is no reason you should need an alignment when putting a lift on a solid axle rig... unless, the alignment was messed up prior to lift, which in your case you said it wasn't. After I put my lift on, my steering wheel was off center, but a quick adjustment of the relay rod and it was good to go (adjusting the relay rod has nothing to do w/ steering alignment). After the lift my rig tracked straight and the steering was no tighter or looser then it was prior.

To me it sounds like the shop messed something up if your steering is that bad, thus they should take full responsibility. The only problem is getting them to admit to any mistakes made.

Good Luck, I hope everything works out for ya!

Although a lift can put more pressure on worn parts - that much play in the steering wheel after an OME lift is wild…:steer:

As far as tie-rod ends go: I ordered a set from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters a few months ago. He sells the 555 kit (which includes the relay rod ends), and I found them to be great.

FJ60 Tie Rod End Kit $89.50
Complete 4 piece kit (Fits 8/80'-90 FJ60/62) _Part# TRE69065

Depending on the lift it is possible to decrease your caster enough to make a truck wander considerably.

That is why shims are nice.

Call Kurt and get the rebuild package. piece of cake actually.

BTW, I still would have the truck aligned. My ome heavies left me with a .1 and .4 deg caster. Caster should be more like 4 to 6* for a truck to really pull straight..

First off, the "boys" at 4WP are known for botching things...I've personally seen them use a 6ft pry bar against tie rods to relocate springs/shackles. Can mess up tie rods right quickly.
Regardless, it sounds like they did something wrong. Indeed, an alignment is a highly recommended thing for any changes in steering/suspension/etc. Unfortunately, I doubt 4WP could even do an appropriate alignment to begin with.
BTW: Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters is the man for new ends!

Steering & brakes are good things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom