OM617 Power vs. 22R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Considering an OM617 into a 1982 4x4 pickup. I've seen swaps with later trucks but can't find a thread with a 1st gen. I've heard there are clearance issues and want to know if that's true or can be overcome. Also other than the "cool factor" of the rattling motor, how's the power compared to a 22R? I'm not interested in performance but don't want to go backwards for a lot of time and $$$.

Thanks. I’ve read through that and am trying to find an 84-85 OM617. I’m just wanting to know the power comparison in daily driving. to say a stock 22R or a stock 2F. Another post mentioned "struggling to maintain 60 on the interstate" which isn’t desirable clearly.

Last edited:
You are going from 97 hp 118 lbft (22R) to 119 hp 170 lbft in the lowest powered 617-950 made after October of ‘79. That’s +/- 20% more hp, and 40% more torque. No matter what the reviews are saying, that’s a good increase in output. If you are planning a non-turbo 617 swap, I would only ask “why bother”? The N/A version of the 617 would have a hard time pulling the skin off a tapioca pudding!

IMG_0206.jpg

This is from an old, defunct, never finished thread here. I didn't read the whole thing - to see if he attempted to cut the firewall, etc. But you can see the lack of longitudinal room. I'm still looking for the thread where the guy had the radiator in the bed.

OM617 1st Gen

YouTube vid linked in an old YotaTech thread. I can't see the pics in the YT thread - maybe the Photobucket thing. In any event the guy in the vid did the same thing - cut the grill support and pushed the rad forward. Just not much room..

A little late to the thread, but from a drive ability point of view, the OM617 and a 22R are pretty comparable. I tend to disregard rated hp and torque as they don’t always reflect reality. With both motors you have to drive them aggressively and keep the rpm’s up as neither have good low end torque. If you can keep the OM617s turbo spoiled it will outpull a 22r, but like I said, they are comparable.

Thanks for the info. I picked up an 83 300D from the original owner and have been having a ball driving that thing around. Not sure I can make myself pull the motor haha.

Thanks for the info. I picked up an 83 300D from the original owner and have been having a ball driving that thing around. Not sure I can make myself pull the motor haha.

Sounds like a great way to keep miles off your truck! You should take the 300 over the scales and see what it weighs. I bet it’s similar to your truck. You could figure out overall gearing in the car and it should give you an idea of what to expect if you do the swap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom