Old Truck for Old Guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tactegra.com
So, yeah...Izzy got an FJ43, Tony Montana special edition. From the top, I have been looking for an old truck, rover or cruiser. I reached out to 3, a '62 Series 2a in Charlotte, and two early '70s Series 3 in VA, and a couple of yotas as well. I even had a good friend, Rover expert mechanic ready to go and do an inspection. I was going to wait until my youngest finished college (18months), but some close calls with mortality got me thinking "what the hell you waiting for?"

None of the Series 3 owners responded to multiple contacts the Charlotte one set up a meeting and never showed. Then, the 43 which I thought was sold, came back. The buyer couldn't get a loan due to the shorter VIN number. So I bought it, sight unseen. The price was right and I have the intestinal fortitude to do that, have done it before so I knew the risk. Dealership is Gatewayclassics, they do have a lot of cool vehicles, but they are a dealership, and they lied as expected. My middle son is finishing the ASE training at Hendrick Center for Automotive Technology and will be our little project.

Running List of Work, as of 4/5/2023:

Motor:
  • New oil pressure gauge
  • New Water temp gauge
  • New Headlight switch
  • Seafoam oil for 3 hour run
  • Oil and Filter change
  • Paint intake cover
  • Replaced coolant
  • New Radiator Cap
  • New Coolant expansion bottle
  • New Battery tie down
  • Power steering new fluid and clean reservoir
  • Fuel gauge sender wire
  • New Toyota PCV valve and grommet
  • Heater hose from block
  • Relocated temp sending unit
  • New vacuum hoses
  • New fuel filter
  • Vapor separator and hoses
  • Charcoal canister
  • Rear main seal
  • Valve cover gasket, grommets, nuts
  • Head Gasket
  • Valve Springs
  • Head reconditioned and machined
  • Coolant hoses
  • Valve seals and cover gasket
  • Oil pan gasket replaced OEM Toyoter
  • Fuel pump, spacer gaskets

Body:
  • Interior lights
  • New accelerator pedal spring
  • New brake pedal spring
  • New clutch pedal return spring
  • New Tail lights
  • Clean and redo wiper motor
  • New wiper switch
  • Return to factory wiper motor connectors
  • License plate lights
  • New wipers
  • Rear floor rust proof paint
  • Rear floor rubber mat
  • New Fog Lights and pull switch
  • LED reverse lights
  • LED dash lights
  • New seatbelts
  • Pass door lock lube and clip
  • Driver door lock lube and clip
  • Windshield washer nozzle and hose
  • New side Vent springs
  • Passenger side mirror
  • Remove tint from all windows
  • 5 Speed glovebox shift plate
  • Dash pad light-power on
  • Horn relay replaced
  • Door outside window molding
  • Stained steering wheel pad
  • Bilstein 5100 front shocks
  • Bilstein 5100 rear shocks
  • Cleaned and reset odometer (0.7 mile per 1 )
  • New shift knob - 5 speed
  • Door locks replaced
  • Windshield wipers link assembly (OEM)
  • Windshield wiper arms replaced
  • spring bushings replaced rubber
  • Rear door lock and key
  • New steering column interior cover

Power Train & Brakes:
  • Speedometer cable
  • Transmission oil change
  • Transfer case oil change rear
  • New front axle brake tubing
  • New front brake tubes
  • New front brake main hose
  • New Rear brake hose
  • New Rear axle vent line
  • Knuckle nuts loose
  • New Front drive shaft
  • Brake fluid change
  • New front driveshaft
  • New front calipers
  • New front brake pads
  • New speedo gear
  • Replaced rear diff pinion seal
  • Right rear spring new clamps
  • Left rear spring plate bolt threads, washer, nut
  • Replaced clutch slave cylinder
  • Front differential vent tube
  • Clutch fork rubber boot
  • New clutch!
  • New clutch fork, hub, pivot ball, clips
  • Transmission front bearing retainer and seals
  • Parking brake calipers and pads
  • Parking brake cables
  • New power steering pump and return line
  • Dual diaphragm brake booster
  • New Aisin master cylinder
Steering:
  • New Left side turn stop bolt
  • greased knuckles
  • greased steering
  • New Relay Rod and end link
  • New Tie Rod and end links
  • New vintage wheels 15x6
  • BFG KO2 31x10.5
  • New power steering pump
  • new power steering return hose and tube
  • Rebuild steering knuckles, seals, and bearings

Here it is in my garage.
ddr.jpg

one of the bling bling pics from the sales site:
1776n.jpg

Last edited:
I have a long list of items to do, and will need to look at other 40's to get a good view as to what it is supposed to look like. Downloaded the FSMs and manuals and hardcopy Haynes.

Some quick things to do:
  • check instrument panel missing a few needles, lights.
  • transfer case leaks
  • Find out what all the freaking switches do, or are supposed to do. Has aftermarket AC/heat
  • water pump leaks, need change
Havent yet put it on 4wd or low, that will be next. Also havent really looked underneath, but I can see seepage from a few places so.... will degrease, clean, and get that started. But not in a rush, this will be a project that will take time....

Last edited:
Holy moly. Very cool.

Awesome.

Nice!!!

I'm going to guess that izzy isn't going to mod it at all.

Oh, it has a 5 speed too. Which is not what it came with, came with the H41 according to the plate. I was hoping for the H41 low gearing, but I am fine withe 5 speed, highway capability.

After it is a great runner, likely will start with the basics I will need for 4wd instruction for mods. No real vision for future yet. I know I will also get a series 3 eventually as well, I love how they drive off road too. Hope to downsize too, no longer needing a 5 bed-6 bath-3 car garage house for 2 people. Need a 3 bedroom 6 car garage with office space.

Cool Izzy, congrats!

Oh, it has a 5 speed too. Which is not what it came with, came with the H41 according to the plate. I was hoping for the H41 low gearing, but I am fine withe 5 speed, highway capability.

After it is a great runner, likely will start with the basics I will need for 4wd instruction for mods. No real vision for future yet. I know I will also get a series 3 eventually as well, I love how they drive off road too. Hope to downsize too, no longer needing a 5 bed-6 bath-3 car garage house for 2 people. Need a 3 bedroom 6 car garage with office space.

When Covid is over and my brother can go back to the UK, let's talk on the series 3, im sure he can find one easily enough.

When Covid is over and my brother can go back to the UK, let's talk on the series 3, im sure he can find one easily enough.
Thanks Al! I had plenty of UK models, even some of the Tithonus ones, but really want LHD. My buddy (another I4WDTA member) is from the UK, he was my expert to help me find it. It really was weird, that none of the ones I called, emailed, etc replied. They are still for sale, but must have been fake? Who knows. I wanted a 43, got me a 43. That is now trickling coolant in my garage....

No worries..... one day i'll have the bronco perfect, the 80 how I want it and then a Defender 130 for my pickup.
Thanks Al! I had plenty of UK models, even some of the Tithonus ones, but really want LHD. My buddy (another I4WDTA member) is from the UK, he was my expert to help me find it. It really was weird, that none of the ones I called, emailed, etc replied. They are still for sale, but must have been fake? Who knows. I wanted a 43, got me a 43. That is now trickling coolant in my garage....

No worries..... one day i'll have the bronco perfect, the 80 how I want it and then a Defender 130 for my pickup.
d130 - wooo - on portals?

Izzy, If there's anything I can do to assist, let me know. I have four 2F powered trucks and a couple of extra 2F engines here for you to reference. I'm close by and you are always welcome.

Izzy, If there's anything I can do to assist, let me know. I have four 2F powered trucks and a couple of extra 2F engines here for you to reference. I'm close by and you are always welcome.
I have been thinking about you lately! Every time I get a chance to go to the garage and look at something and ask "is that supposed to be there?" The answer is always "Dave will know". So yea, a good side by side comparison will be needed, when the sun is out and you have some time. I am still waiting on the sales docs and title, so no rush. Want to install the oil pressure and water temp aftermarket gauges before driving it too much. Dip stick shows low oil level, coolant is leaking a little but I havent gotten under it yet to trace it.
Have a few things coming this weekend, including headlight switch which seem to make some lights flicker when i touched it. Will be fun!!!!

The answer is always "Dave will know".

Ive said this no less than 20 times this year

Y’all give me way more credit than I deserve! I am happy to help when I can though. I do have an unmolested ‘82 40 that should be nearly identical to the ‘81 43 and a good point of reference for what goes where.

Izzy, When you make a parts order, pick up one of these Koito H4 headlight kits. Insanely cheap, easy to install and the best money you’ll ever spend on an old truck.
36EE83A8-A925-4F43-8ABF-C8D1F3EDEAB2.jpeg

02ABA050-2D0F-418D-80B2-C0464A8501C3.jpeg

Side by side comparison of old vs. new:
8E05597F-019C-493C-97CA-2A151333E3AC.jpeg

Nice headligh! I see them as a kit, is that right?

just installed a horn, didn’t have one, but I found the connector hanging....also, don’t think the gas tank sending unit is working... need to get more gas to test it. Looking forward to the weekend!

Good day today, tried the aftermarket oil pressure gauge, looks like steady 60 psi. Then added oil and ran the motor for 2 hours with added seafoam. After a while, it did quiet down and seemed steady. One cool thing, the parking lights and brake lights came on while motor running, awesome. Then the turned off later... Electricals....

Also found the unterminated ducts for defroster! That was a relief. Look a like 2.5”, need some hose to connect the outlets to the two metal round inlets.
D84D29F2-8B8E-41AE-B570-C6B5E402B0FA.jpeg
914370EB-8743-4A54-BBF1-B2F6EC7CC6D0.jpeg

Spent the afternoon thinkering, tracing wires, measuring continuity and found a couple of powered wires that were bare. One has power all the the time, the other is switch on power. Interesting....

Found out why gas gauge doesn’t work, there are no wires connected to the sending unit.... and the speedometer cable is cut, so....

Two switches that still cant figure out what they do... maybe for another day.

Oh, and break lights are on when the lights are on, all the time

Got a water temp gauge, will put that in tomorrow, maybe get a fuel one to....need to dig into the dashboard, see what else is missing

Good day today, drained the block which wasn’t too bad, new coolant, installed aftermarket temp gauge, degreased the gunk from undersides, set up both oil pressure and temp gauges in the cabin, oil and filter changed, greased the steering nipples. Ran the engine for about an hour again to check temp and pressure.

1608504157600.jpeg

1B543E1D-DEB9-4C4D-BB59-0383D1D6D8BD.jpeg

47ECDBF3-83AD-442B-AB29-F5612B0F0A9D.jpeg

The knuckle bolts were loose, got those cranked. Added some foam strip to rear doors, so the stop rattling and went for a short drive in the street, feels better than when I got it.

Also got the headlight switch, but haven’t figured out the trick to remove the old one yet....

Well, here we go. Went to the DMV nearest my house, which happens to be the one in Indian Trial on 74. Got on line and was ready for a multi-theater engagement. Brought seat, cooler, food, reading material, fan, heater, and all my paperwork from the FL dealer. I was sure they would send me to Huntersville to face that inspection thing, then come back and get another rejection for missing a signature, back to inspection....
Anyway she took my papers and license, began to highlight stuff, asked me to sign the old title, then $5 for that notary. I was nervous and asked if everything was okay with it, she said it was, wasn't sure what type of vehicle it was so offered a picture. She said "oh, of course, no problem" . Then asked me what plate I wanted, and told the tax on the sale. Then she pulled the plate, put a sticker on it for 12-21, printed my registration and handed everything over. She said "you are all set, enjoy it".
I asked her if there was anything else, other inspections, one legged dances, etc. She said "nope, you don't need anything else, title will be in the mail". So I thanked her and didimao out of there quick before they changed their minds.

Anyway, plate letters are RBH, if it was RBG I would name it Ruthie. It is a street legal truck, I still need to work on the brakes, front passenger hose is rotted and the hard line going there is hammered in, so no flow to that caliper. But, it drives!

6487115D-3094-4750-823E-E6E6F8E52F24.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom