Old man build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent some of the money I had saved up for the "brick". Now I will have the new brakes and rotors put on all the way around. And the ARB air locker in the rear axle. No lower gears this time around. Hoping to get a front bumper from crikeymike, too. That will be it for the month of October.

If I stretch my budget to the max, I will be going with ARB air lockers, front and rear. With new brakes, rotors, fan belts, and battery for this month. Already have all the brake stuff, fan belts and battery. Next month will be a bumper, winch and transfer case + tranny skid plate. Best thing, no payments, it will all be paid for out of pocket! That will be it for the fall and winter months. Plan on driving south and getting out of some of the snow this winter. Would be nice to take a month long trip!

Well, this should get me set on fire! I am going to sell the 97' Landcruiser and build a 95' Jeep Cherokee instead! I found one cheep that has lots of work done that I could not do my self. The Cherokee has a completely rebuilt 617 Mercedes 5cylinder diesel now in it with AX15 5 speed manual trans. The turbo diesel runs great. Gets 35+mpg. No rust. I will still be on here time to time. I really do enjoy this group of enthusiast!

Well, this should get me set on fire! I am going to sell the 97' Landcruiser and build a 95' Jeep Cherokee instead! I found one cheep that has lots of work done that I could not do my self. The Cherokee has a completely rebuilt 617 Mercedes 5cylinder diesel now in it with AX15 5 speed manual trans. The turbo diesel runs great. Gets 35+mpg. No rust. I will still be on here time to time. I really do enjoy this group of enthusiast!
Keep them both :) Good Luck it sounds interesting.

I had a buyer wanting my 97' Landcruiser. I was going to take it to him tomorrow. I can't do it! I made the mistake of driving it and I just seems like a mistake to sell it! So, for now I am going to keep it! Normally I am very decisive , but with my Landcruiser it is really a hard decision to sell such a great truck!

We wheeled a 2000 Cherokee for 310,000 miles until my wife had a severe fender bender and the insurance totaled it. Got way more than I ever thought we could sell it for. Used the payout to purchase our 95 Land Cruiser. Much as I loved that Cherokee, there is no comparison. Once you go cruisin' there is no going back!

(Though the Mercedes 5 Cylinder swap had caught my interest for our Cherokee as the 4.0 block had cracked and was on its second round of "pour in a can" block sealer. Lasted 80,000 miles that way.)

Thank you for your reply cowboyjack. I still am not sure I made the right decision spending the money and doing the mods to the Cherokee. Every time I drive my Landcruiser, I am reminded that it is my favorite truck to drive. I put in $5500. In improving the Cherokee. I could have done wonders to the Landcruiser. Then again, maybe the reason I like the Landcruiser so much, is it is great even stock! So, I will be keeping my cruiser and maybe after a while I will sell the Cherokee and go back to my Landcruiser! Suffer with the rest with the poor gas mileage!

Well... if you ever go to sell the diesel Cherokee... let me know? We could always use a second SUV... LOL

We loved that Cherokee, wheeled the heck out of it, abused it repeatedly, had minimal trouble with it -- HG, AC, the usual stuff for a 200K plus vehicle. I also love those 5 cylinder Mercedes diesels, think they were one of the best engines ever made for simplicity and longevity. Combining the two would be an awesome vehicle!

A little like you, we only live down 2 1/2 miles of dirt road, but during the monsoons, that is pure mud. It will absolutely STOP anything but a locked 4x4 many days. So a Cruiser or Cherokee is much more than a play toy for us.

As long as gas stays cheap, no worries for now, but yup -- that 14 mpg cruiser mpg is not stellar. And off road? Wow! 4 to 5 mpg some days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom