Old man build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4wheelspulling

The Brick!
Threads
Hello,
Thought I would write out my plans on a simple old man build of a 97' FZJ80. If nothing more to help see my thoughts in print! Hopefully someone can point out some better ways of doing things too.

My 97' FZJ80 is stock, unlocked with 190k on the old girl. Green and Grey two-tone. 4.10 gears with Cooper ATZs in 265/75/16. The first of September, I will have all 4 new rotors and brakes done. Going with OME. All new belts and hoses. Again, OME. Will have a Detroit locker and bearings, seals done at same time, in rear axle. Taking off running boards and hope to put on Metal-Tech sliders too. 7 pin mod. and CDL switch install. That will be it for September.

Going soon to a 2" lift. But not for bigger tires, but to help keep components out of harms way. Plus, help the approach angles, room for the sliders, and to help with high centering in the snow. Also more room for mounting chains in the winter. My thought is yes, I could run bigger tires without a lift, but I want to stay close to stock rpm and easier on drive train staying with 31" tires. Also thinking that with 190k, springs, shocks, bushings, ball joints tie rod ends should be replaced anyway. So might as well go 2" lift.

I do have a brand new Warn Zeon 10s winch and a brand new ARB twin air compressor to mount when I get a front bumper and mount for compressor. Also, have CB radio and stereo for my 80. Do have lots of tree saver straps, chains, shackles and recovery gear. Of course first aid kit and fire extinguisher. I do have a solar panel and inverter, just need a charge controller.

Next up with front winch bumper will be a duel batteries setup, painless, 8 position fuse panel and relays setup. Then some better lighting for front and a good light to have when backing up in the dark. Air Jacks, air bag jack, great in soft sand and the like. safer than Hi-lift jack. Better tires when I see a deal. Also watch for a good deal on an ARB locker for the front axle. Nice roof rack and snorkel would be great too. Some type of 12vdc fridge and must be something else! Does it ever really stop? Vance.

It may not ever stop but as I am getting near completing my expo build on a 100 it defiantly slows down. My only comment is to include some creature features for camping or living with the rig as you build. Go on trips before you get it perfect and sometimes you figure out an item is less important than you thought.
Good luck...... show some pics as you go along.

Thanks cmck,
Right not sure about how much I will do for sleeping in my 80? I have a Cummings 4x4 truck with a light weight camper, under 1300 lbs. ready to camp, that I use. The other thing about the truck and camper, is it gets better mileage even with camper on ready to camp, than the 80 does empty!

Well maybe for you it's more about access to recovery gear and sandwiches while your off road. (than camping). There lots of good storage ideas out there.

Here's my work in progress cargo area. It's a 100 on 33's, triple locked, bumpers, winch, on board air, 2nd battery, sliders, skids and a tough dog 3" lift.
IMG_6890.JPG

The more I think about my build, I think when I have the locker installed, I will go ahead a regear then too. 33"s and a loaded LC will perform better. 31" tires was more of a budget thing. I know I will wish that I had the truck regear done because the tires will not stay that size for long.

Yes, I have a home wood working shop and built it as time allowed since June. I have had it on the drawing board for a year or so but other items kept getting in the way. I'm looking forward to some weekend trips in early fall to work out the kinks and little details.

Well maybe for you it's more about access to recovery gear and sandwiches while your off road. (than camping). There lots of good storage ideas out there.

Here's my work in progress cargo area. It's a 100 on 33's, triple locked, bumpers, winch, on board air, 2nd battery, sliders, skids and a tough dog 3" lift.
View attachment 1514670

Great looking truck! How many miles on the TD lift? Would you recommend? So many 100's have the OME, I'd love another solid option or two to consider before spending my hard earned $$. THX!

Great looking truck! How many miles on the TD lift? Would you recommend? So many 100's have the OME, I'd love another solid option or two to consider before spending my hard earned $$. THX!
I put the TD lift, tbars and tour flex progressive springs in about march 17. I maybe have 4K on them. I would recommend them. The spring rate on the front is way better than factory cranked, which are harsh feeling. The progressive gave me a nice lift and it rides good day to day as well as loaded up with RTT , cargo drawers and travel goods.
The ride of my lifted truck is better than my lowered factory setup. I'm careful saying that since it's hard to do an apples to apples, but I carve turns better now with less body lean.....and it takes normal bumps better. In addition to the obvious off road and load benefits.

I really want to see some photos from the OP on his 80 build.

I will be taking before and after pictures. Mandrake, used spacers on his build and a body lift. I do see the wisdom now in how he did his lift. I don't want to go with a body lift, but the spacers and new stock springs yes. Dobson's has some stock height springs and shocks that look good. I bought some low lift correction plates from Landtank. So, I want new Toyota rubber bushings, and Metal Tech spacer plates 1.5", stock height springs and longer shocks, and use the correction plates to bring back the front end geometry. I am hoping to put in all new ball joints also. Oh and an adjustable rear alignment bar. This is all in my head of course. Things may change! Does not look like I will have the money to regear, when I have the locker installed. So, staying with 31" tires

The price to regear to 4.56 in both axles or a front ARB air locker are about the same money. What one would you do? It would be nice to have both ends locked! But it would be nice to have stock power and rpms with the gears. But option two will also mean by a new 33 inch tires!

Where do you plan to go?

That will ultimately determine what you should do. If you want to knock around in the desert, or National Forest roads, then you don't need much of a build. Unless you plan hard core 4 wheeling, I'd say keep your build light, and minimize your lift and expenses. Sliders are always a good idea though.

You sure you want a rear Detroit? You will likely be happier long term with a selectable like an ARB or Harrop eLocker. A Detroit would be ok on a dedicated wheeler, but for mostly normal street driving a selectable locker is what you want, especially if ice/snow are in the picture.

If you are not regearing, just a rear locker and a winch will get you a long long way. You can always add a front locker down the road. But again, you need to decide where you want to go. And by the way, 33 inch tires, 4.10s and a 2 inch lift work great. This is the cost effective set up if that matters to you. Run your 31s until worn out, but don't think the 33s will be a strain on stock gearing.

And if you're going to be camping out of this truck, I'd prioritize the 12 volt fridge over almost anything else other than good maintenance. And with a fridge, you might also prioritize dual batteries or at least getting your solar functional. There are much better choices than the Painless Dual battery kit-spend some time in the Power Systems forum.

The other thing I would prioritize is a way to carry extra fuel. As you know, the 80 uses lots and lots of fuel. Off road, it uses even more and so in cool places like Southern Utah and Death Valley, fuel is your limiter. So a sub tank or gas can rack on the bumper should be high on your list.

Snorkel? Where do you plan to go? If it isn't Alaska or South America, you don't need it.
7 pin mod? Not needed
ARB Twin compressor? Puma works better and costs less.
Roof Rack? How much stuff do you plan to take?
CB radio? For what?

After many years with a drawer system, I'm not sure I'd recommend one. It's nice to store heavy spare parts, and some camping gear, but it severely limits how you pack your truck, and you can pack far more efficiently without a drawer system. The best thing about it is that it can morf into a sleeping platform and I use that feature all the time. Nothing like sleeping through a wind or rainstorm inside the truck. But there are other ways to do that.

Anyway, it's easy to get caught up in building the truck, but the real priority is going on the trip. Anyway, Get your brake work done, and your sliders, and go somewhere interesting for a week. That helps to define your needs too.

Where do you plan to go?

That will ultimately determine what you should do. If you want to knock around in the desert, or National Forest roads, then you don't need much of a build. Unless you plan hard core 4 wheeling, I'd say keep your build light, and minimize your lift and expenses. Sliders are always a good idea though.

You sure you want a rear Detroit? You will likely be happier long term with a selectable like an ARB or Harrop eLocker. A Detroit would be ok on a dedicated wheeler, but for mostly normal street driving a selectable locker is what you want, especially if ice/snow are in the picture.

If you are not regearing, just a rear locker and a winch will get you a long long way. You can always add a front locker down the road. But again, you need to decide where you want to go. And by the way, 33 inch tires, 4.10s and a 2 inch lift work great. This is the cost effective set up if that matters to you. Run your 31s until worn out, but don't think the 33s will be a strain on stock gearing.

And if you're going to be camping out of this truck, I'd prioritize the 12 volt fridge over almost anything else other than good maintenance. And with a fridge, you might also prioritize dual batteries or at least getting your solar functional. There are much better choices than the Painless Dual battery kit-spend some time in the Power Systems forum.

The other thing I would prioritize is a way to carry extra fuel. As you know, the 80 uses lots and lots of fuel. Off road, it uses even more and so in cool places like Southern Utah and Death Valley, fuel is your limiter. So a sub tank or gas can rack on the bumper should be high on your list.

Snorkel? Where do you plan to go? If it isn't Alaska or South America, you don't need it.
7 pin mod? Not needed
ARB Twin compressor? Puma works better and costs less.
Roof Rack? How much stuff do you plan to take?
CB radio? For what?

After many years with a drawer system, I'm not sure I'd recommend one. It's nice to store heavy spare parts, and some camping gear, but it severely limits how you pack your truck, and you can pack far more efficiently without a drawer system. The best thing about it is that it can morf into a sleeping platform and I use that feature all the time. Nothing like sleeping through a wind or rainstorm inside the truck. But there are other ways to do that.

Anyway, it's easy to get caught up in building the truck, but the real priority is going on the trip. Anyway, Get your brake work done, and your sliders, and go somewhere interesting for a week. That helps to define your needs too.

Thank you for the reply! The snorkel is just for looks! Just something I like the look of. My "bling"! I really have never had problems with a Detroit locker. Drove with one in lots of rigs! To Be honest, I like it better than my Air lockers! I have had Two people I personally know have problems with their electrical locker. Stock and e-locker! Something most people don't realize, is I drive "off-Road" every time I go to town. My driveway gains 2000' in 4-1/2 miles of dirt and gravel road. The back way out does not have the elevation change but driving through the wheat fields can be fun if it starts to rain! Each spring, my brother and I have a contest to see who can make it out and be the first to make it to the pavement going through the wheat fields! I already have the ARB Twin compressor, and a Warn Zeon 10s winch! I would recommend do not buy any onboard electric compressor, save your money and go with a onboard York or the like! Love mine in my Jeep! CB radio, is to be able to talk with others that you are wheeling with! Many club trail groups you cannot go without a CB radio. In both Alaska, PNW and Canada, you best have a CB radio to know when the log trucks are coming down the road loaded and no room for both of you! 7 pin mod is needed to run locked center T-case in hi range. That is a must to still have the momentum of hi and extra traction in both the mud in the wheat fields and even coming up driveway in the snow, makes a big difference! The tire issue is one that does not have a cheap answer. I see 33" in my future, not happy with 4.10s and 31" now! I know I should just pay the price now and regear when the rear locker is installed. 33" tires will be that much more underpowered with the 4.10s.

I am lucky to live where I do and have a great shop close by to help with my locker and gears install. With that, I will go with the ARB and new gears. Where I already have the compressor, it is $200. more over Detroit installed. I know some of you think I am throwing good money away by regearing to run 33" tires. If you understood the terrain here and played lots here you would understand.

I would probably think that it was unnecessary to regear 4.10s to run 33s if you were in a 5 speed 100 series, but with needing to maximize the limited power you have, I get it.

I sold a couple of trucks I had, so now I have the money for rear ARB airlocker, 4.56 gears, and new 33" tires! Save up more money and next on the list is, a front bumper so I can mount my winch. Then, Metal Tec. Sliders. Then decide on stock height suspension system or slight lift. For the money, I am thinking of OME. September will be fun getting the new parts on the "Brick".

I sold a couple of trucks I had, so now I have the money for rear ARB airlocker, 4.56 gears, and new 33" tires! Save up more money and next on the list is, a front bumper so I can mount my winch. Then, Metal Tec. Sliders. Then decide on stock height suspension system or slight lift. For the money, I am thinking of OME. September will be fun getting the new parts on the "Brick".

For the money I would look into a Dobinsons spring setup. I've had two OME setups and ridden in several others and just haven't been impressed. They were good when they were the only game in town. Spring technology has come a long ways and OME is behind the curve now. There are at least 3 vendors on this forum that are supplying much better tech for the money. Suspension and tires are the two biggest improvements you will ever make to the drivability of your rig. As such they are usualy priority for experienced wheelers / overlanders. As for re-gearing that's all preference. If you have the money and you want to go 4.56 then why not. Its not like you are going to have too much power.

For what its worth I find creature comforts to be a lot more important to me as I grow older. My favorite mods after suspension and tires would be better seats, better stereo (Bluetooth) and an inverter to charge all of my gear. Pretty much anything that is making my drive more enjoyable.

You are right on about the comfort factor! I do have that covered, in my set up now. The suspension and tires is a big factor also. I wil get ahold of crikiemike, and get prices. That is one problem I do notice when driving my Jeep. I sure does not ride like my Landcruiser!

For the money I would look into a Dobinsons spring setup. I've had two OME setups and ridden in several others and just haven't been impressed. They were good when they were the only game in town. Spring technology has come a long ways and OME is behind the curve now. There are at least 3 vendors on this forum that are supplying much better tech for the money. Suspension and tires are the two biggest improvements you will ever make to the drivability of your rig. As such they are usualy priority for experienced wheelers / overlanders. As for re-gearing that's all preference. If you have the money and you want to go 4.56 then why not. Its not like you are going to have too much power.

For what its worth I find creature comforts to be a lot more important to me as I grow older. My favorite mods after suspension and tires would be better seats, better stereo (Bluetooth) and an inverter to charge all of my gear. Pretty much anything that is making my drive more enjoyable.

Half k cruiser,
Thank you for you remarks. I did contact crikeymike, and was pleased how fast he got back to me and the prices, sounds good enough to go that way over going with OME. I think Dobinsons, will have my business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom