OK - Riddle me this batman...transmission shifting rough and loss of power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
History: I wrecked my LX about a month or so ago and have been slowly putting her back together.

During this time I disconnected the battery - approx 3-4 weeks.

Just finished getting everything put back together late last night. Topped off the fluids this morning and was excited about finally taking it out for a drive.

Pull out in the street - put in D and virtually no power. Had to get RPMS up over 2000 until it felt like the transmission finally engaged.

Local mechanic thinks computer just needs to re-learn.

I drove it about 30 miles - with 5-6 start/shut off / start / drive a few miles. start stop - drive at highway speeds. And it is still shifting hard from 1st to 2nd. Almost acts like the clutch isn't engaging correctly from idle to 2nd gear???

I know what it's not- the computer 're-learning'.

Have you rechecked the ATF level since running it?

I know what it's not- the computer 're-learning'.

not what I was hoping for but what I was afraid of.

Idles fine. Once in 2nd gear seems to have plenty of power. RPM's not consistent on some downshifts - will sometimes spike/lower randomly like the vehicle is trying to find the right gear.

Almost always from start you have to rev it up to 2000 RPM's or higher to get it to go forward.

Only items replaced from accident were lights, radiator support and passenger fender.

Still thinking tranny ???

Truck was running PERFECT prior to this. And strangely enough - was fine 2 weeks ago when they towed it to my house and i started it up to drive it in the garage.

Sounds a lot like the solenoid problems that have been documented here on the board. You might do a search for those and compare symptoms.

Have you rechecked the ATF level since running it?

I checked it after driving about 30 miles. was on the low side - so I topped it off.

How did they tow it to your house. Hopefully on a flat bed!

Sounds a lot like the solenoid problems that have been documented here on the board. You might do a search for those and compare symptoms.

Thanks for the tip. I did search and symptoms sound very much like what is happening on mine.

No change on mine between D, 2, L. Still have to feather the accelerator - almost feels like driving a manual and the clutch isn't engaging all the way or starting off in 3rd/4th gear.

CEL is on - so will head to autozone tomorrow and have them pull the code.

clean or replace solenoid. they must have stucked up after that long

How did they tow it to your house. Hopefully on a flat bed!

It was a flat bed. I made sure of that. Will take it down to local autoparts store later today and have them run the CEL code.

Just had the CEL code run. It's pulling a Shift Solenoid E code. :bang:

So the next question. How many :banana: job is this to do? Where are they located? Something I should have Mr. Toyota help me out on?

I see from prior post from CDan that they list around $164.

Last edited:
Especially because the problem showed up after a period of inactivity, I'd try cleaning them before replacing them, unless you have the money laying around. There is something to be said for having new parts and no worries about that particular part going bad later.

Well, my father in-law came over this afternoon to help me out on this one. Plan was to clean the solenoids first to see if we could fix the problem.

Before digging into anything we decided to trace back all the electrical connections, vacuum connections, etc. Made sure all were good and snug and nothing was loose. Did not find anything mentionable.

Checked the fluids again - was still showing about 1/2 quart low for cold level. So topped it off once again and decided to take it for a test drive to show my father in-law what exactly was going on. Drove for about 20 miles - start/stop, highway - and it did not do anything! Truck seems to be running perfectly now.

I have no idea what would have caused this to sporadically disappear - but here's crossing my fingers it is gone for good.

Did you replace the radiator when you were rebuilding the front end? It has an ATF cooler in it, so if you didn't check the ATF level after a rad swap that could have caused the low fluid level and the funky shifting.

BTW, the COLD level on the dipstick is not the right way to measure ATF. You have to get the ATF to operating temperature and check the level with the engine running; it should be in the HOT range. The FSM explains it nicely, so I'd recommend having a read and then checking your ATF level again.

:cheers:

:beer:
Did you replace the radiator when you were rebuilding the front end? It has an ATF cooler in it, so if you didn't check the ATF level after a rad swap that could have caused the low fluid level and the funky shifting.

BTW, the COLD level on the dipstick is not the right way to measure ATF. You have to get the ATF to operating temperature and check the level with the engine running; it should be in the HOT range. The FSM explains it nicely, so I'd recommend having a read and then checking your ATF level again.

:cheers:

Thanks for the info. Now that it is no longer shifting funny - I'll take it for a ride, roll the windows down, open the sunroof and enjoy having my vehicle back, and check the fluids again at operating temp.

This site and the folks here are awesome. Suggestions and tips have been a tremendous help. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom