Oil Sender: Old vs New (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't think I have a problem here, but it is interesting and maybe someone will find this helpful.

My PZ1 was has always given low oil pressure readings since I've had it (less than 1 year), but when at cruising revs it picked up to the low end of okay. As the summer warmed up, this started being very low all the time despite the revs. First thing was to check the oil: did an oil change and sent a sample to Blackstone Labs. To my eye, it seemed thinner than I would expect, however the lab came back with no appreciable fuel dilution and consistent with 10W/40. So oil is okay, and I then turned to oil pressure sender. Rather than deal with trying to bench test the unit, I just bought a replacement. The new sender is now at the high end of okay even at idle, so this far I'm okay with the swap. I still haven't taken it out yet to see how it is at cruising but I imagine as oil warms up things should be just about right. However, even though the part numbers all check out and I replaced with OEM sender, I did notice the orifice on the new unit was noticeably smaller. Since this is measuring pressure and not flow, I don't think this would affect the reading and my improved signal is just from a fresh unit. Anyone else notice this/have an explanation for the part discrepancy?

20230524_173546.jpg

That's tough to say. There's so much more to that sensor than just the entrance orifice. The insides are probably updated as well.

If you really want to know, just buy another one and crack them both open. I'd love to see the updates myself.

Orifice has no effect on signal produced according to Pascal's Law.

Hi
Many threads about the oil pressure being visually low on the gauge, here.
However this is the first post I see with someone actually reports back with very good results of gauge position after replacing the Oem with oem unit.
I may have missed some, no offense to anyone.
I have also encountered the "low pressure" gauge position in my 1HZ and have checked with mechanical gauges (hot and cold) to verify correct values.
However, did not have the time to replace the unit so far.
So this is highly encouraging to me and give me incentive to go an replace the unit asap.

I would install and forget about it, but if you are still concerned, you can always install a T connector and pull a flex tube into the cab to install a mechanical pressure gauge, so that you have dual oil pressure indication.
Thank you for sharing and Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom