oil pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
right,

got the ignition in, and it sure is nice...only, only my oil pressure stays pinned to the H when i''m driving. usually it hits when i am at 2000rpm. if i idle its at the middle bar on the gauge. and if i am just reving it it stays at the same place as idle even if i hold the rpms at 3000. only when it is under torque does it do it.

the only thing that has changed is i booted all electrical work, and now i run strait from the starter to the distributor. could it be a possible electrical problem?

answers please.

what ignition are you talking of? Did you do and HEI swap?

anyway if you are unsure of your stock oil pressure gauge you can go to your local auto parts store and for about 15-30(maybe a bit more??) dollars get an after market gauge with numbers on it.....you want High oil pressure as aposed to low or no oil pressure which is bad. My engine is rebuilt, has about 300 miles on it and it idles about 2/3s of the way to H and gets dam close to H on the highway...

Stew

yeah, i just went and got a gauge. $16.

i put in the D.U.I distributor on my 2f., shares same parts as HEI but is made for the 2F

your presure may be close to H, but mine is nail as far over as possible. also i don't know how to put in the pres. gauge. the stock one is elcetric and runs off the bottom of the oil filter mount. the one i purchases is a vacume hose and i have no clue were to put that in.

There should be a port on the side of the block on the drivers side about 3/4 back from the front mid way up. If you don't have headers it will be easy to see. My electric unit was there until I decided to put in a mech. gauge.

IMO if you have too much oil pressure it can be as bad as low pressure. You will have oiling issues and gasket/seal issues.

Too much pressure probably means that your flow is suffering, just as bad as poor pressure. Try a lighter oil.

I got a mechanical gauge for my 60 from Autozone. Also had to get a brass metric adaptor for it as well while I was there. Take the factory sender off, and thread in the new nut and ferrule along with the plastic hose that came with the gauge. To be redundant, I also bought a splitter and ran the factory sender as well.
I found that for some reason somewhere the sender wasnt getting the signal and I didnt want to trust it. The new Autometer gauge read right in the middle (60psi I believe.). A few folks I know run the same gauge, but they substituted the plastic hose with a brass or copper one to prevent it from leaking oil in the future.

I had problem with my oil pressure gauge last month after I degreased and washed the motor. I dunno what I done but after washing the motor my guage was sitting on the L and would only move 1mm above it when under load .
I hired a pressure gauge from my spare parts store plugged it into the opening that the sensor normally screws into and it showed good pressure.
I wasnt sure then if it was the gauge, the sensor or something in between.
I ended up finding a sensor for less than a 1/4 of toyota price and put it on and the gauge worked perfect. I also found out that the sensor is the same as a corolla and is common right across the toyota range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom