Oil pressure gauge killed? Help, please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Canada may have the oil gauge ,what are you after the gauge or the sender? .

the fuel ,water,and amp gauges are both shared by the FJ and BJ ,but for some reason the oil sender and gauge are not shared

my rig was once a 78 BJ40 .i purchased it without the drivetrain ,i put a chevy in it .and i am still using the diesel gauges i did remove what looked like a resistor from the back of the gauge cluster.,
funny thing is i never realised the oil gauge was differerent ,i am currently getting readings on my BJ oil gauge. using a FJ40 sender. :doh: :grinpimp:
surprisingly .the gauge seems to read accurate acording to the diagram in the
owners manual . there may be not much difference between the two gauges who knows , mine was a 24volt also

so if you are getting no readings and have tested it with a known to be working sender. the the gauge is probably garbage . i might be able to ask around if anybody has a 24volt gauge kicking around.

:cheers: Jake

I think that resistor is the difference between 12volt clusters and 24volt clusters. Damn, now I want to fix mine. Maybe this week I will pull my cluster and do some testing.

Neil.

While we are on the topic, could you just replace the gauge with one from a 60 series?? or are they not compatible? I have the same issue and rather than put in a mechanical gauge somewhere else, I want to keep it in the cluster, as well the 60 series gauges seem to be more readily available...

the fuel ,water,and amp gauges are both shared by the FJ and BJ ,but for some reason the oil sender and gauge are not shared ...

:cheers: Jake

I'm finding this all pretty interesting :) (It's fun learning!)

My reserach tells me that oil gauge 83510-60013 (which incidentally Toyota refers to as an "oil pressure receiver") is used in an FJ4#, HJ45 and BJ4# provided they are all 12V

My research also tells me that oil gauge 83510-60051 is used in 24V versions. .......... That is, it is used in 24V HJ45 and BJ4# models (but not in any FJ4# models only because none of them were manaufactured as 24V)

So I don't agree with your statement Jake. :D Because the oil senders and receivers are indeed shared between petrol and diesel models just as one would expect. (The engine's fuel makes no difference!)

The factor that forces the change of part number is ALWAYS the vehicle's voltage (whether 12V or 24V).

:beer:

PS.

So did you remove the resistor from your 24V oil receiver/gauge itself (to make it work on 12V)?

My understanding of electricity is such that I'd classify stepping down the voltage in this way as "very dodgy" and therefore "unlike Toyota".

And if you removed a resistor from your oil gauge/receiver then I'd also expect you to have removed one from your temperature gauge/receiver. :D (Did you do this too?)

(I've already given evidence that the 12V and 24V oil receivers/gauges are different ...... which of course wouldn't be necessary if the voltage was stepped down to the whole instrument cluster.)

While we are on the topic, could you just replace the gauge with one from a 60 series?? or are they not compatible? I have the same issue and rather than put in a mechanical gauge somewhere else, I want to keep it in the cluster, as well the 60 series gauges seem to be more readily available...

My knowledge is pretty much restricted to 40-series (and even then .... only to the diesels).

But doesn't the cluster on a 60-series look like this (Car-like dash)?:

60Series.JPG

If so.... the gauges/receivers are incompatible (unless you undertake significant modification work).

:cheers:
60Series.JPG

Last edited:
Wauw! That's a lot of information coming in very fast. As the origonal poster I am very greateful, but if I oversee somebodys post and don't reply, please accept my appology, it's just a matter of oversight.

lostmarbles:
You have really done a lot of research and thereby prove your own point that "you can always get what you're after if you do a bit of research, have a lot of patience and maybe take some minor risks."
It's perfectly ok that you won't help anyone obtain used parts, I know the feeling of getting burnt..!
You state that: "My understanding of electricity is such that I'd classify stepping down the voltage in this way as "very dodgy" and therefore "unlike Toyota"." But after doing a lot of reading on the gauges the general concensus is that the original gauges are unprecise at best thus supporting the crudeness of the electronics...
I should take the gauge panel apart and look for a number and maybe shoot some pics, but I do not have the time this weekend though:frown: But I will so maybe we can get to the bottom of this!:)

Jake:
You have a lot going on there, while you get what seems like a correct reading it might be because of several things, one could be that your fix with removing the resistor is working, but it might be a coincidence relying on difference in readings being compensated by difference in operating oil pressure between the B engine and the Chevy...
But please take some pics, and I would be really grateful if you would ask around for a 24v gauge! :)

cruiserheads: I don't have the time this weekend, so please do, and let me know what you did!;)

mabigbangkindaguy: nope, for the exact reason given by lostmarbles. I own both a hj60 and a hj45, and not that many parts are interchangeable, let alone the electrics...

To all thanks for the replys, it's wonderful to get so much help with a very narrow topic! Thumbs up to the comunity on MUD! :cheers:

.... after doing a lot of reading on the gauges the general concensus is that the original gauges are unprecise at best thus supporting the crudeness of the electronics...
I should take the gauge panel apart and look for a number and maybe shoot some pics, but I do not have the time this weekend though:frown: But I will so maybe we can get to the bottom of this!:)

I accept that a lot of people think the original gauges are cr@p. But I have stuck with them for 30 years and I don't think aftermarket gauges improve the appearance of a classic 40-series dash. (But that is just personal taste and we all have a right to differ here.)

Also , I don't really care if I don't see numbers (like 35 psi) and instead just get an indication that my pressure is OK.

But having said this, I take your point. So it is the reliability aspect of using 12V components on a 24V cruiser that concerns me most.

To explain my comment of "very dodgy" ---- A resistor is not the proper way to drop voltage simply because "how much it drops the voltage" is entirely dependant on current flow. So it will only drop the voltage by the same set amount if the current flow is unvarying. And I don't think this would be the case in any "sender".

I look forward to the photos. :)

PS. Something not mentioned here yet .... I'd expect fuel gauges and fuel-gauge-senders to differ between 12V and 24V models too .... but I haven't researched that at all. (Why do cruiser interests take up so much of my time? :D)

Hey Tom in canada we only got the 40 series diesel in a 24volt version .if you do your research using the U.S. region on the EPC you can see where i am getting the info from and there is less info to search through
it does show that the oil gauge is different ,but everything else it shows as them both sharing the same part # ? it is weird to me also .
only variance is like you said the difference between the two for the oil gauge . it shows a different part number for each .which are the numbers you posted.

i did not remove anything from the gauges themselves i just removed a big huge resistor looking thingy from the back of my cluster see pic Toyota called it a meter dropper , i get my truck out of storage tommorrow i may pull my cluster to see if i can see any part numbers showing on my guages .maybe mine has been changed already my gauge cluster was dissasmebled someone had it chrome plated . i removed the giant ressitor thingy and just replaced it with a piece of wire i really had no idea what it did .i had to still make a connection on the back of the cluster for things to work.

meter dropper #83145 - 60010

and i only removed it because i was removing or replacing everything that had to do with 24volt .and i figured i didn't need it anymore. i replaced wiper motor ,heater blower motor, and bulbs.

just checked the fuel sender and fuel gauge part number and both are the same for BJ40 and FJ40 ????????

i get what you are saying tom about the voltage being different it makes sense to me that the gauge shouldn't work i know my 24volt wiper motor was horrible on 12volts. but it did move the wiper arms across the windscreen
took me a few months to figurte out that it was a 24volt wiper motor. :doh:

i'd have to pull my cluster to be sure but i remember it being bolted onto the post of two of the gauges which ones i don't know. tying the left side of the circuit board to the right side if that makes any sense the circuit board looked exactly the same as the 40 series one accept there there was a break in the copper. and the dropper thingy remade the conection. tying everything together
untitled.jpg

Wow. Thanks Jake.

The plot thickens :lol:

I have run out of spare time to pursue this. (The weather has started to fine up after weeks of solid rain!)

But a quick search of 83145 shows another Toyota description of LENS, METER NO.1

I try to remember to get back to studying this on another rainy day.

:)

I only have time for a short reply, exam etc... but:

I accept that a lot of people think the original gauges are cr@p. But I have stuck with them for 30 years and I don't think aftermarket gauges improve the appearance of a classic 40-series dash.

I couldn't agree with you more! I love the look too!

I haven't had the time to take my gauge apart yet, will do this week though and will get back to all of you then!
Best regards,
Christian

Lostmarbles: I must keep a lookout - especially for the elusive tach and split case PTO. What may be standard one place can be really rare and exotic in another...

Cruiserheads: I have the exact samer suspisions... If you find out please let me know!!!

You want me to locate one and mail it to you from here? It will be second hand though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom