Oil pressure and temperature sensors install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I recently installed a JRP 14in1 gauge. So far I have done what i found to be easy and accessible: Gauge hookup, boost sensor, and coolant temp sensor. It seems to me that the transmission temp sensor, oil temp sensor, and oil pressure sensor should also be relatively easy too, problem is, i cant find much information on the best spots for these (other than the trans temp, which i will put in the oil cooler intake hose). One other thing im having a hard time finding is the inner diameters of both trans oil cooler hose and the engine oil hose (which seems like a decent spot to put sensors?). Somewhere i saw mentioned 10mm can anyone verify this?
can someone offer suggestions for the best spot to put engine oil temp and pressure sensors?
Another problem im having is finding a sensor adapter for metric hoses.. Everything seems to be 3/8 or 1/2"
Yes this is an american page, but even searching for aussie or kiwi sites brings up imperial fittings of this sort.

I appreciate any information, i really dont feel like draining fluids to check diameters only to fill back up, then drain and fill back up again once i have the parts.

I have also heard about sandwich plates, anyone know of one that can be used for my 98 3.0 TD prado?

I have also installed the 14in1. Best option for transmission temp is a Glowshift 3/8 transmission temp sensor t-fitting, pipecut 1.5" from end of the hardline from the transmission and add it there. For water temp, radiator lines are not reliable because flow through the rad is intermittent. Instead get a 1/4 British pipe thread to 1/8 npt adapter and install it in place of the head drain plug that's just under the intake manifold.

I have also installed the 14in1. Best option for transmission temp is a Glowshift 3/8 transmission temp sensor t-fitting, pipecut 1.5" from end of the hardline from the transmission and add it there. For water temp, radiator lines are not reliable because flow through the rad is intermittent. Instead get a 1/4 British pipe thread to 1/8 npt adapter and install it in place of the head drain plug that's just under the intake manifold.
Thanks for the advice.

For the transmission temp sensor I had figured it would be better to install in the soft line portion, considering the difference between metric and imperial hoses. it would be easier to seal the slightly larger metric hose over the slightly smaller imperial fitting rather than trying to seal an imperial fitting over metric hard line.
You have had no leaks or problems doing it your way though?

I installed my water temp sensor in the top rad hose as was recommended in the manual, as well as nearly everywhere else I had read on the internet. It appears to function as it should, and is quite responsive from cold engine all the way to operating temperature and beyond when the throttle is wide open for an extended time.

Do you also have oil temperature and pressure sensors installed? I am curious how you achieved this, if so.
I am leaning towards the SAAS sandwich plate designed for the 1kz-te engine, and getting a short hydraulic whip made up to secure the heavier pressure sensor where it wont rattle as much and risk breaking.

Thanks for the advice.

For the transmission temp sensor I had figured it would be better to install in the soft line portion, considering the difference between metric and imperial hoses. it would be easier to seal the slightly larger metric hose over the slightly smaller imperial fitting rather than trying to seal an imperial fitting over metric hard line.
You have had no leaks or problems doing it your way though?

I installed my water temp sensor in the top rad hose as was recommended in the manual, as well as nearly everywhere else I had read on the internet. It appears to function as it should, and is quite responsive from cold engine all the way to operating temperature and beyond when the throttle is wide open for an extended time.

Do you also have oil temperature and pressure sensors installed? I am curious how you achieved this, if so.
I am leaning towards the SAAS sandwich plate designed for the 1kz-te engine, and getting a short hydraulic whip made up to secure the heavier pressure sensor where it wont rattle as much and risk breaking.
The transmission tee added to the hard line fit perfectly. Just had to do light sandpaper to clean up grime and ensure flush engagement with the sleeve. For oil pressure I used a 1/8 British oil pressure adapter that has 1/8 npt on the side. Installed in oem oil pressure sensor location. Oem sensor installed on the end and 14n1 sensor on the npt side port. (Had to tap the 1/8 npt a little deeper) Didn't bother with oil temp... because I use the head for water temp and they will be close to the same. Oil pressure more important.

IMG-20231214-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20231228-WA0001.jpg

The transmission tee added to the hard line fit perfectly. Just had to do light sandpaper to clean up grime and ensure flush engagement with the sleeve. For oil pressure I used a 1/8 British oil pressure adapter that has 1/8 npt on the side. Installed in oem oil pressure sensor location. Oem sensor installed on the end and 14n1 sensor on the npt side port. (Had to tap the 1/8 npt a little deeper) Didn't bother with oil temp... because I use the head for water temp and they will be close to the same. Oil pressure more important.

Cool I really appreciate your input. What you did looks great.

I used an Autometer upper rad hose inline adapter with a mechanical bulb type sensor. It doesn't move until the thermostat opens so it's really helpful on winter mornings to see how long the engine takes to generate some heat.

I used an Autometer upper rad hose inline adapter with a mechanical bulb type sensor. It doesn't move until the thermostat opens so it's really helpful on winter mornings to see how long the engine takes to generate some heat.
I have a similar adapter in my upper rad hose that came with my multi gauge. The sensor itself I believe is electrical. I think it was you that recommended the lower rad hose heater. In winter, -30, after 4.5h plugged in, my upper rad hose sensor typically reads about 25 degrees C. No issues starting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom