Oil plug weep hole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anybody explain why my FJ 60 has this little tiny weep hole at the bottom of the sump plug. My theory is that it is a rust prevention device designed to bathe the underside of the truck with a coating of oil, which it does pretty well.

17600C27-407C-4A6B-8233-DBAA61882E57.jpeg

I don't know the reason why it's there, but your leaking pan plug isn't caused by that. Replace the gasket/washer.
Whatever you do - don't over-tighten the drain plug trying to stop a drip. Wrist tight is all that's needed when the washer is doing its job.

Well another question while I’ve got anybody’s attention… Any tips for installing the oil pan gasket? I thought about gluing the gasket down, and letting it cure, before install so that it doesn’t move around and I can line up the bolts.The curved in pieces seem tricky to get in place right.

24C76DCD-80EE-4FB1-9F74-1CF0C7CEAF8C.jpeg

That 'gap' in the drain plug hole is caused by over-tightening and creasing the threads. Mine was like that and I just let the oil drain completely, for a few hours, then clean the threads with brake cleaner and use RTV on the drain plug and a new rubber gasket washer and let it cure overnight before refilling. No leaks.

You're better off with the one-piece oil pan gasket than that 4-piece one.

There are a bunch of threads on techniques to ease installation. Many people use these snap ups from Fel Pro:

1606679485832.png

Last edited:
Get the one piece Toyota gasket. It fits perfectly with molded hoops. Super easy to install. Just a little glob of FIPG sealant required on each corner

I changed the oil in mine after I aquired it from the previous owner and it leaked oil like a Bull Mastiff drools! I tried crush washers of all types with no luck. I noticed the indention in my pan as well. I ended up buying a universal O ring kit from Oreilys and installed the O ring that fit snugly around the drain plug along with a poly/plastic crush washer and no more leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom