Oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I have 1966 40. I get a constant slow drip from the rear of the oil pan and some seeping from the front. I’m dropping the oil pan tonight to replace oil pan gasket. My question is, how do u tell the difference between oil pan leak and main seal leaks. Thanks!

Thanks for your input! In fact I do have the oem gasket. I don’t have the oil pan off yet. I have the pressure on it now with the scissor jack. Man that thing is on there good

Finally got the oil pan off. I still can’t really tell if it was the seals on the oil pan that go around the bearing bracket that’s leaking or the main seal. There was no leaking from the flat areas on the oil pan, just both the front and rear curved parts

This is not the first time this oil pan has been off the motor. The last person who installed it used some type of sealant on the flat part of the block, but did not use any sealant on the curved part, both front and rear.

If your oil pan has a “skid plate” welded on, it may be rusted thru at the spot welds. You’d get a leak from the spot weld rust spots and would likely see it at the rear of the pan.

Check the bottom closely, from the inside, while you have the pan off.

If your oil pan has a “skid plate” welded on, it may be rusted thru at the spot welds. You’d get a leak from the spot weld rust spots and would likely see it at the rear of the pan.

Check the bottom closely, from the inside, while you have the pan off.
Thanks, yes it has a skid plat. That’s all good. The leak is definitely coming from the front and rear curved part where the pan goes around the crank shaft.

When you reinstall the pan, don’t overtighten the bolts. I don’t recall the torque specs, but they’re in inch/pounds. I snug them down, drive a a couple of short trips, then snug them down again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom