Oil leak HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I just discovered an oil leak around the front of the motor on my 1995 FJ80. I've never had problems in the past and the leak appears to be new. I think it might only be leaking when running. Anybody know if this model has a problem area. It may be coming from around the belt area. Also, if anyone knows of a reputable service guy in upstate South Carolina, please advise. Closest to Anderson SC, would be great

sort of, you need to pull the vibration damper off which requires a special tool and then when putting the crank bolt back in it needs to be torqued to 305 ftlbs.

It's not the difficulty of the job, it's the tools needed.

Thanks Landtank,
Sounds like a job for the pros, hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg

It is a really expensive repair. Its really a 10 minute fix to do the job (replace an o-ring). Its just getting in there that causes the problems. There are some good write ups on it. Check the FAQ. Good pictures and detailed fix instruction. If you are willing to dig into the front of the motor, its doable. Easy to do some serious damage to your radiator as well though if you aren't paying attention.

I have had the gasket for a year. Just have not gotten to doing it. Phillips heads are thrashed so the whole freaking timing cover has to come off to get at it. Thanks P.O.

What makes you all so sure it's the oil pump cover gasket? Could be front pan arch or front crank shaft seal.

FYI, if you have the work done, you should have them replace both the oil pump cover gasket and front crank shaft seal while they're in there, regardless if one or the other isn't leaking.

:beer:
Rookie2

Found a good shop here locally, going to pick it up today Come to find out it wasn't an oil leak at all. It ended up being a water pump, which had to be replaced. The guy said he found the waterpump for $175.00 and the total rounded out at $347.00. The guy said the fluid leaking looked like oil but was actually Toyota red? Lesson learned.

even better to find that one...would have caused HG problems if the coolant ran low.

94LC - go to toyota and purchase several of the replacement screws for the pump cover, then go purchase some grade 8 type screws (mine have allen wrench head) for however many there are in the pump cover. Take the OEM screw and put it in a vice. Match up a drill bit that will take off the head of the screw - practice on the one in the vice. Then you can drill off the heads holding the cover on. Once off the remaining treaded portion can be removed by hand. OF course it's easy to drill when you had to remove the radiator because you busted the nipple off the top. Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom