Oil filter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My toyota dealer did not have the 90915-20004 in stock, which was recommended by someone on this board, they did however have a 90915-20002 which supposedly preceded the 20004. It says 1UZ-FE and 3ZFE for aplication but not 1FZ-FE. Question: will it work the same? Should I order the 20004? Should I just get an aftermarket filter? This is my first oil change on it, going to use Mobil 1 10w-30.

big good filter 15600-41010
small good filter 90915-20004
lousy filter yzzb5

According to my garbled memory, the big good filter was original equipment, the small good filter was introduced to reduce start up rattle, while the lousy filter was introduced because mall cruisers complained about the price. &nbsp:Don't know any others, but my cruiser came with a mopar filter on it so if you want to experiment, fill your boots. I recently ordered a 20004 without problems even though they did not show it as available in Canada. It took 2 days.

I would go with the small toy OEM filter. If you’re local dealership will not play ball then call John Hocker @ Sierra Toyota or Jeff Watson @ Jay Marks Toy. Yes you will pay shipping but no taxes and both dealerships will serve up a TLCA discount. Just get at least 3 or 4 so you don't have to worry about it for a while.

I found some info in the archives on the 80scool list, the 20002 is good for a cruiser, it is just an older version of the 20004. So I used it, fit fine. Now running Mobil one 10w30. &nbsp:Does anyone else have trouble reading the dipstick on these? :-/ The oil is so light it's hard to see (not just synth, it was like this before)I took about 5 or 6 readings to make sure 8)
Also changed the pcv valve and grommet, thanks for the tip from a member in a previous post about buying a grommet with the valve. The rubber did break and dropped a piece into the cover but I was able to fish it out with a scribe. Replaced it so now all is good.
I want to change the plugs as well, is there a special tool for LC's to remove the plug wires? I didn't use a flashlight yet to look down the hole, but I tried pulling the plastic around the wires and it didn't move the wire from the plug. I didn't want to pull on the wire itself since I've ripped wires before in other cars, and a new set is $60-$130 and 5 days wait.

Ben,

>> Does anyone else have trouble reading the dipstick on these? <<

Yes, but I have trouble reading just about everything the last few years. 8)

>> ... thanks for the tip from a member in a previous post <<
>> about buying a grommet with the valve. <<

You're welcome. :G

>> is there a special tool for LC's to remove the plug wires? <<

I have seen these in auto parts stores though not LC specific. Haven't tried them though. They are shaped like an "L" with an insulated groove on one end.

-B-

I have actually switched to the K&N oil filter. After about two oil changes (depending on how dirty the oil and motor are) you can hardly tell the difference between new oil and 3000 mile oil. Still has the honey color. Start up rattle is there though but it has always been there.

I believe the K&N part number is #3002 but you can look it up in the K&N book.

No it is 3614. This is the small one.

big good filter 15600-41010  
small good filter 90915-20004
lousy filter yzzb5
...I recently ordered a 20004 without problems even though they did not show it as available in Canada.  It took 2 days.

What's going on here? I called my local dealer and they tell me that "the 90915-20004 filter has been replaced by the yzzb5" and they don't stock the 20004 and that there is no quality difference.

C-Dan, is this correct? Semlin, where did you order from?

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,
the 90915-20004 is still a valid number. The dealer in question may have done an in-house pnc (part number change) to reduce the numbers to deal with. As most people are cheap and don't want to spend the extra money, not all dealers will want to stock the 90915-20004. The minimum quantity they can order from Toyota is 10. If your local dealer is not stocking the filter for the above mentioned reason, you may offer to buy a box of 10 if he would get them for you. Oh, and since it's a "case" maybe he could sharpen his pencil for you. 8)

Hugh, I got it from a local Toyota dealer, but they had only the YZZ filter showing on their system as well - could be a Canada thing. I gave them the part number and asked them to just order it. They were surprised but they obliged and it arrived three days later.

Wix oil filter part number

This was the oldest filter thread I could find. Back in the day when 20004's flowed like tap water.

Anyway,

Is that the part number Wix users are using?

Jason

MoJ said:
This was the oldest filter thread I could find. Back in the day when 20004's flowed like tap water.

Anyway,

Is that the part number Wix users are using?

Jason

Wix and NAPA. Same filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom