Oil filter mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently saw a product from Baxter performance which is a replacement oil filter mount. Changes from cartridge to spin on filter. Anyone don’t this? Does this solve the low oil pressure issue? ‘18 LC 200

At least one guy did this and posted about it here.

Not a lot of reason to bother, but if it makes you happy, go for it.

I recently saw a product from Baxter performance which is a replacement oil filter mount. Changes from cartridge to spin on filter. Anyone don’t this? Does this solve the low oil pressure issue? ‘18 LC 200
There isn't a low oil pressure issue. Tens of thousands of landcruisers show 1/4 gauge while cruising for collectively.. billions of miles.. with only very rare engine failures. It's just how the gauge is setup.

Hypothetically if there were a low oil pressure issue adding lines to a system that had one would only increase the friction of the oil flowing through those lines and exacerbate that problem.

Someone here did install a baxter system so you'd need to search, plenty of discussion there, including debate about whether it was smart to add points of failure to an otherwise extremely reliable lubrication system.

The pressure changes with RPM. It looks low (1/3 of the range) when cursing but if you rev the engine it goes to half the range of the scale.
As said ^ no reason to change it.

There isn't a low oil pressure issue. Tens of thousands of landcruisers show 1/4 gauge while cruising for collectively.. billions of miles.. with only very rare engine failures. It's just how the gauge is setup.

Hypothetically if there were a low oil pressure issue adding lines to a system that had one would only increase the friction of the oil flowing through those lines and exacerbate that problem.

Someone here did install a baxter system so you'd need to search, plenty of discussion there, including debate about whether it was smart to add points of failure to an otherwise extremely reliable lubrication system.
Thank you for the info! As you can tell I am/was ignorant on the issue but now crossing it off my list of upgrades. Thx

The pressure changes with RPM. It looks low (1/3 of the range) when cursing but if you rev the engine it goes to half the range of the scale.
Thank you, but for the record, full throttle getting on the highway my gauge never gets to half. Thanks

The pressure would rise if you used stronger curse words.

Maybe check it with an inline oil pressure guage (the tool), rather than the factory guage. Factory guages are notoriously inaccurate. If you truly have low oil pressure, figure out and repair the mechanical issue that is causing it, rather than add a remote filter hoping it will resolve the issue.

Thank you for the info! As you can tell I am/was ignorant on the issue but now crossing it off my list of upgrades. Thx
Yeah if you read here or tundra forums with the same engine, or really almost any toyota “truck” platform, it appears to be an engineering strategy to have the oil pressure read low on the gauge. I really don’t know why.. but it is so common, and engine failures so rare, it is clearly how they were designed.

If you’d like real peace of mind, look up how to grab a sample of your used oil at the next change and send it to a lab. It’s called Used Oil Analysis and will provide you rock solid data about not only the health of your engine by analyzing different amounts and types of wear metals compared to the thousands of other samples they’ve had from the same type of engine, but also whether your oil change strategy is adequate with regard to the physical properties of the oil. It almost certainly is, given how easy Toyota engines typically are on the oil, but this is data about your specific engine and use case.

Also in Texas you might consider switching to 5w-30

Thank you, but for the record, full throttle getting on the highway my gauge never gets to half. Thanks
Go cruise around in 1st gear at 5000 RPMs and you'll see it get to (or slightly above) the halfway point.

I agree it's dumb that Toyota doesn't use the other half the gauge though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom