Oil change mistake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mike6158

Random Pixel Generator
Threads
Website
wildlightimagingstudio.com
Well... I just added the last quart of oil to the LC... except it was Mobil 1 transmission fluid :bang: I didn't even know I had a quart of Mobil 1 transmission fluid but that's what it says on the container... expletives deleted... crap... whatever...

I know i have to drain my brand new oil change. The question is, if I haven't started it, and I haven't, is the new oil filter going to be screwed too or do I just drain the oil / transmission fluid mix and start over? I've got the filter, I just don't want to replace it if I don't have to.

Off to the parts store for oil... again... F...

Drain everything, refill with Dino, drain, refill with Dino, run for 10 minutes, drain, add oil of choice.

I want as much of that s*** out of the engine as possible

I have no idea. I would get cheap oil, good oil and a new filter. Drain your mixture, Keep the current filter, add cheap oil, start/circulate, then change to the new filter and good oil.

Replace everything put on a new filter and some cheap 5W 30 oil then run it up and down the street for a while then drain it again and then put in your new mobile 1 and another new filter

I kind of figured that's what I was going to read. Expensive dumb*** mistake.

Drain and fill with cheap oil, two-three times, using cheap filters. Then fill with good oil and new filter you prefer. Run engine up to operating temp after each drain and fill. Should be fine. I doubt you are the first person to have done this. Have almost done it myself and have to be very careful when selecting containers. It's easy to do.

I wouldn't be too concerned, that used to be a common method pf de-sludging a motor. Just drain it, change the filter and add fresh oil, like others have mentioned.

^^^^^^^^^^^ Yep,

No cause for panic or extraordinary measures. All it would do is clean the engine, you aren't going to wash out any bearings... even if you ran it for a short period. Drain it. Add ONE change of cheap Dino, drain that, replace filter, fill with your normal engine oil and go on your merry way.

No harm.

Fixed. I used up all of my differential and transfer case oil changing time though. Hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow. I'm not a shade tree mechanic. No trees... just clear blue sky... but I do have a concrete slab to work on.

^^^^^^^^^^^ Yep,

No cause for panic or extraordinary measures. All it would do is clean the engine, you aren't going to wash out any bearings... even if you ran it for a short period. Drain it. Add ONE change of cheap Dino, drain that, replace filter, fill with your normal engine oil and go on your merry way.

No harm.

That's what I did. Since it never ran I checked the filter and it was empty so I used it.

I remember pouring ATF into the carburetor back in the day... I forget why/ Got all kinds of smoke and then it cleared up. I don't recall using it to clean the "innards" of an engine.

I live 18 miles from an Autozone and 8 miles from an O'Reilly. I feel like I spent the entire day on the parts store. The last time I went the gal behind the counter told me what time they closed :clap:

Thanks for posting. It makes me feel better when others do dumb things too. FYI, you wouldn't believe the mess it makes when you get distracted while helping your son change the oil in his CRV and forget to install the filter before starting the engine. That oil pump really pumps.

Thanks for posting. It makes me feel better when others do dumb things too. FYI, you wouldn't believe the mess it makes when you get distracted while helping your son change the oil in his CRV and forget to install the filter before starting the engine. That oil pump really pumps.

Hah.....yes they DO!

Haven't ever not put the filter on (yet), but I had the rubber O-ring from an old filter I took off stay on the oil filter block and when I screwed the new one on it didn't make a good seal. Started the engine on my 80 series and oil was just pouring down the side and onto the concrete!

I knew I had the filter on tight....so I didn't know exactly what the problem was for a minute until I looked at the old filter (no gasket on it).

You wouldn't think 10-15 psi oil pressure would make that much of a mess, but it does.

Yes, we all make mistakes. Some funnier than others. Good that we can share them here.

Flint.

The first oil change that I did by myself was on a 1956 GMC pickup with a 248 cid six cylinder. It was 1974 or 1975, Borger, TX, and the truck was parked on the street and pointed slightly uphill. Anytime I parked I had to turn the front wheels and let it roll back onto the curb. There was no emergency brake and it had an early "turbo-hydromatic" 4 speed automatic transmission that didn't have a very reliable Park.

I drained the oil, pulled the filter, and didn't (as best as I remember) spill a drop. I then proceeded to put 6 quarts of Havoline (that's all my dad would use... sludgy crap that it was) into the engine... I was very proud that I had done such a great job on the first try. Luckily I saw the very long trail of oil running down the curb before I tried to start the engine. Six quarts will go a long way down the street if you forget to put the plug in :doh:

Funny how some things stick in your mind

My first car, first oil change, I embarrassed myself. I decided to change my oil before packing three cute girls into the back, a buddy into the front, and going on a road trip. I drained the transmission oil by mistake, then put in 4 quarts of engine oil on top of the old engine oil. Luckily caught my mistake when the dipstick read "a bit high". I had to hitch a ride to the parts store, get transmission oil, and another 4 quarts of engine oil, none of which I could afford at the time. We ended up leaving around four hours late. Smooth.

Hah.....yes they DO!

Haven't ever not put the filter on (yet), but I had the rubber O-ring from an old filter I took off stay on the oil filter block and when I screwed the new one on it didn't make a good seal. Started the engine on my 80 series and oil was just pouring down the side and onto the concrete!

I knew I had the filter on tight....so I didn't know exactly what the problem was for a minute until I looked at the old filter (no gasket on it).

You wouldn't think 10-15 psi oil pressure would make that much of a mess, but it does.

Yes, we all make mistakes. Some funnier than others. Good that we can share them here.

Flint.

I had the double gasket issue on my 60 one time. It does make a mess!

I would run the mixture until up to operating temp then drain when warm and fill with normal. The fact you have fresh oil in there you have no worries. Routinely people add a quart of mystery oil, seafoam, etc. to there vehicle before oil changes. These oils, cleaners, are quite thin even more so than the ATF you have added.

As far as your viscosity change, you have 7 quarts of 5/30 and one quart of ATF. The ATF is about half of the viscosity of your engine oil. You have altered your mixture to the degree of what your oils viscosity would be at the end of your oil change life. ATF is designed for closed systems and has less detergents than your motor oil.

Some folks swear by this method before an oil change. Some claim it has little benefit. It will be interesting to see what your oil comes out like being you just added fresh oil. If it comes out very black you know it had some possible benefit in cleaning if it comes out nice and clear not so much. I believe with the amount of oil these hold and your 7/1 mix it will be not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom