Oil buildup onto of valve cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I noticed at the back of my valve cover gasket there’s a nice amount of buildup of some black sludge. I’ll post a photo. There was so much that I couldn’t even see there was a notice badge on there. I’m also not entirely sure what this little nozzle does or why it’s so loose, maybe that’s the problem? Overall, there’s no oil leaks anywhere I can see so I don’t know how there’s some kind of oil buildup. I don’t know a whole lot about this so educate me please lol. It’s a 93 kzj78 with a 1kzte

197856B4-94EF-4F54-BF4E-2F5E9C6C6B3D.jpeg

By the nozzle I'm assuming you're referring to the black electrical component bolted to the crossover pipe just above the notice sticker? That is a VSV, or an electrically controlled vacuum switch; the round plastic part that's loose is just the breather so that it can vent when it operates. The oil sludge is most likely coming from your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) hose that comes out of the valve cover at the top edge of the notice sticker. It's not uncommon for old PCV hoses to leak a little, and over time they will cause a buildup of oil. The simplest cure is to clean it up and replace the hose clamp with something more secure. It would also be wise to install a PCV catch can to filter out the oil before it gets recirculated back into the intake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom