Oil & Antifreeze, the first maintenance items (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 97 90 Series Prado is arriving today. My plans are to start with a Oil/Filter and Coolant Flush, later this week.
I've searched the forum and it didn't yield me much info. A web search us suggesing a 10w-30 conventional Diesel oil. I've used Rotella T4 for the last 25 years in my previous Diesel engines (trucks & tractors), with great success. I'm reading that you shouldn't use a Full Synthetic (T6) in the 1KZ-TE???
For a Coolant replacement, Toyota Red? Thoughts....

Glow Plugs and Injectors will be next. The T-Belt was recently done.

Toyota Red is the go. You're probably already all over it but when you do your cooling system flush, be sure to remove one if the rubber hoses from the metal cabin heater pipes near the fire wall, jam the garden hose up there and run fresh water through it while draining until the draining coolant runs clear (full flush). I used an additive when I did mine as the car was getting on 22 years old and I had no records of when it was last done. I started having ongoing problems with my aging cooling system so I ended up just replacing everything from radiator, thermostat to all rubber hoses and it was the best thing I did. Only cost me about AUD$650 in parts and coolant and took about 6 beers to do the job.

I'm a Penrite 10w40 full mineral oil guy myself. 10w30 will work too in most cases. Just make sure the oil is suitable for your climate/ temperatures.

My 97 90 Series Prado is arriving today. My plans are to start with a Oil/Filter and Coolant Flush, later this week.
I've searched the forum and it didn't yield me much info. A web search us suggesing a 10w-30 conventional Diesel oil. I've used Rotella T4 for the last 25 years in my previous Diesel engines (trucks & tractors), with great success. I'm reading that you shouldn't use a Full Synthetic (T6) in the 1KZ-TE???
For a Coolant replacement, Toyota Red? Thoughts....

Glow Plugs and Injectors will be next. The T-Belt was recently done.
Mine arrive in the next week or so i am planing to do the same!

Toyota Red is the go. You're probably already all over it but when you do your cooling system flush, be sure to remove one if the rubber hoses from the metal cabin heater pipes near the fire wall, jam the garden hose up there and run fresh water through it while draining until the draining coolant runs clear (full flush). I used an additive when I did mine as the car was getting on 22 years old and I had no records of when it was last done. I started having ongoing problems with my aging cooling system so I ended up just replacing everything from radiator, thermostat to all rubber hoses and it was the best thing I did. Only cost me about AUD$650 in parts and coolant and took about 6 beers to do the job.

I'm a Penrite 10w40 full mineral oil guy myself. 10w30 will work too in most cases. Just make sure the oil is suitable for your climate/ temperatures.
My PRADO finally arrived this afternoon in great condition! It appears to have been very well maintained. Lots of Japanese Service stickers under hood and in the door jams. The last documented oil change was last September at 160Kms, so that's first on the list. The Prado has 165Kms. The Timing Belt was done 96Kms and it sure looks like the replaced the belts and the radiator. It has Toyota Red Coolant in the overflow, but I'm going to do a radiator flush and coolant renew as task number 2. I'm going to order a new Air Filter also, task 3, boy they are not cheap! The engine bay except for some dust (traveled 3,140 miles) is exceptional clean. The interior is in the same condition. Task 4 will include three new windshield wipers and a full interior and exterior detail.

But I do have a stupid question.... New Hampshire requires a VIN Verification to register this beauty. I can't find the VIN. Where is the hiding?

Thanks!

Bear in mind it is a 12 digit "chassis ID" as opposed to 17 digit North American style vin. It should also be stamped on the frame rail in the right front wheel well.

Did you end up changing transmission fluid? what part # for gasket? i am planing to drop the pan and change mine in couple days doing research on the gasket of the transmission pan, could not find the part # .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom