Oil and voltage gauges going crazy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a 73 Fj40 powered by a T350.
The symptoms are the oil gauge is fluctuating a lot and very close to H. In addition, my voltage is flipping out, and may have something to do with my electric fan that is also acting wierd.

It is the 4th of July and I am screwed. I hope to read from someone. Thank you for your time.

Check your voltage at the battery with the engine running. Your regulator may be malfunctioning. Should be around 13-14 volts.

Thanks for the response. I will check it soon as I get a hold of a voltage regulator. Have a safe and fun day

spot cruiser

I got a reading of 16.
When you have a chance, let me know the next step. Thank you for your time

some loose ground wires?

Havent messed with any grounds, and none of them except maybe the radio would have been tampered with.

Would the ground also effect my oil temp gauge?

Thank you for your time

Claudia,

Had a chance to look at your pictures.

Great pics! I hope to have my rig running well enough to do some playing.

The instrument panel has a ground that it shares with some other switches (look at a wiring diagram, if you need to know wire colors, I'd have to look it up), and if that is loose, it would make the gauges go crazy (similarly, the gauges are all connected to the same power wire: yellow). In stock configuration, the grounds run in a circuit (mostly white with black stripe, all connected), and there are very few actual ground connections (I think we found just one location at the frame). It helps to ground devices separately. Best of luck.

Thanks for the comments on the pictures; I can't wait to get out there again, we just got the cruiser running again after complete re-wire and new tie rod ends.

Claudia

16 is way high.

Battery voltage shouldn't be more than 14 when running.

You have a fried voltage regulator.

Thank you for your input everyone

This is my first time using this forum and am thankful for each contributors time. I really appreciate your sharing, and will post the out come in the near future.

All of you are so patient and proffesional
winds and chimes in the background
May you be blessed with good cruiser karma

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom