oh no, birf job might have a glitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I am finishing up the second side of the birf job and I noticed I did something wrong. I put the rubber ring (the one that goes around the knuckle with the felt then metal plate to hold in place) on backwards. The groove should have been placed facing the metal ring against the knuckle..........but noooo I put it the other way around. So, is this going to cause me to have a river running out of my knuckle when I get it back on the road? Or should I just tear it all apart now just to turn that damn rubber ring around? :mad:

4dmalamute said:
Ok, I am finishing up the second side of the birf job and I noticed I did something wrong. I put the rubber ring (the one that goes around the knuckle with the felt then metal plate to hold in place) on backwards. The groove should have been placed facing the metal ring against the knuckle..........but noooo I put it the other way around.

The FSM isn't clear and there are arguments for both ways. I have done it both ways and have never seen a difference. I wound up where you did once on a 60 and was so worried that I CUT the rubber ring, reversed it and put the cut at the top. It went without leaking for 70,000 miles. I'd just live with it if I were you, making sure you get your metal plates good and snug up against the back of the knuckle housing. FWIW, I have put the ridge outward on the last few I have done and have had no leaks.

SWEEETTTTTTTTTTT!!! I am going to live with it and keep my fingers crossed then. I was thinking of cutting like you said but I will just see how it does like it is. Thanks, Chans :)

Not to worry.

When I replaced mine recently...I installed them with the ridge facing out toward the felt. This is the way mine were installed from the factory. I suppose the ridge presses into the felt (but who knows why). I can't see it making any appreciable difference either way.

I do know one thing though......mine aren't leaking.

flintknapper said:
When I replaced mine recently...I installed them with the ridge facing out toward the felt. This is the way mine were installed from the factory. I suppose the ridge presses into the felt (but who knows why). I can't see it making any appreciable difference either way.I do know one thing though......mine aren't leaking.

Same goes for me....I had a couple used 1991 FJ-80s and a 60 and they were in different orientations when I tore into each of them. Then on my first new '96, the ridge was towards the felt and so was both '97s. So I have stayed with that. If you think about the ridge against the steel, I would think it would be less of a seal than the flat rubber against the steel. Just my .02.

yup the ridge faced inward on all 3 trucks i have done.

4dmalamute said:
So, is this going to cause me to have a river running out of my knuckle when I get it back on the road?

The only way that would happen is if your inner axle seal failed and was allowing diff fluid to leak into the knuckle.

It's my opinion that the rubber seal can go on either way with no difference in performance.

I've studied that thing for a bit. My conclusion was the correct way to orient it is the ridge (it's not a groove, but a ridge) should be against the felt. It was that way on both my trucks, and also makes sense as the purpose simply appears to be to dig into the felt and keep the rubber and felt from moving against each other so the rubber and felt are centered and stay that way. I agree it would not improve any sealing if it faced the other way.

DougM

Well thanks to all who gave some advice on this. As for what I did, the "ridge, not a groove....my mistake..sorry about that", is going to be facing the felt. I think this will workout. Thanks again, Chans :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom