For Sale OFFROAD POPUP FOR SALE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is for sale: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/offroad-popup-camper-build.354638/

For sale is the most capable offroad popup camper in the world!

This camper began life as a 1980 Palomino Shetland S3. I purchased and began the build in 2010. Original parts include the heavy canvas, sink basin, and the dinette table. Everything else is new (frame, suspension, box, cabinetry, lift system, axle, plumbing, electrical, etc.). This thing isn't built like your typical RV/camper with overpriced fall apart junk. It is built to last and conquer any terrain.

Specs:
-frame is 2"x3"x3/8" box steel.
-Lock'n Roll multiaxis trailer hitch
-7,000lb sealed hub trailer axle
-33"x12.50" tires with fullsize spare
-35 gallon fresh water tank
-sleeps 5 (two dbl beds and a twin)
-12vdc on demand water pump
-20lb propane tank
-instant water heater that supplies both the outdoor shower shelter and the indoor sink
-mop faucet that is hose compatible
-two burner stove
-roof vent with 12vdc fan
-memory foam mattresses & cushions with microfiber custom covers
-LED interior and exterior lights
-12VDC Interstate RV battery less than 1 year old
-outdoor popup shower shelter
-12vdc interior outlet
-custom cabinets with suprising amount of interior dry storage
-expanded metal on the tongue for wet storage
-2" receiver hitch on rear of camper for racks, etc.
-forced air furnace with fan controlled smart ignition board and digital thermostat (maintains temp within 2 degrees)
-12vdc CO/explosive gas detector
-Blue Marine fuse block

This camper will go anywhere your tow vehicle can go. It's maiden voyage was to the Maze District of Canyonlands NP. If you want to get into the backcountry or just go boondocking in comfort, this is the camper for you!

Camper weighs ~2,400 lbs with water, camping gear, and bike rack with four bikes (fully loaded).

Asking $9,500 OBO

Some more pics would be awesome. Most of the ones in the build thread don't show up for me.

Here are some pics.

IMG_7362.JPG

IMG_20130326_130301.jpg

IMG_7359.JPG

IMG_7353.JPG

IMG_7350.JPG

Wow! When you compare my camper to the Adventure Trailers for sale you will find that my camper is just as capable, more affordable, and loaded with way more features, capacity, and WAY MORE comfortable.

would you consider any trade options?

I'm selling my fj40. 1980 to likely buy something if such nature

So. I just thought what the hell is ask.

Awesome trailer. I'll have to pay off the newly acquired LX450 before I venture into 'trailer land' though. :D

GLWS.

End of an era....

One would have to ask what's next?

GLWTS!

Can the camper aspect of the trailer hold up well under duress of banging rocks etc? It's essentially the same aluminum pop up exterior correct? Campers amazing, just questioning it's ability to take a real beating above the chasis?

End of an era....

One would have to ask what's next?

GLWTS!

Thanks Pat! The thing has been awesome! I bought a 25' travel trailer. Sold the 80 to a fellow Mudder. My new tow rig is a Mercedes GL320 with a 3.0l turbo diesel. I bought a well appointed 85 4runner for my offroad adventures.:steer:

Can the camper aspect of the trailer hold up well under duress of banging rocks etc? It's essentially the same aluminum pop up exterior correct? Campers amazing, just questioning it's ability to take a real beating above the chasis?

The walls are skinned with aluminum, but if you checked out the build, they are constructed of 3/4" ply fully sealed before construction and braced. Bottom line, it's gonna hold up better than running your quarter panels into the rocks. However, with the insane ground clearance it has and low center of gravity (due to heavy axle/wheels/water tank), you'd really ahve to work to get the body into some rocks. I managed to touch the frame/stabilizer jacks a couple times, but no damage there. The frame is 2" x 3" box steel with 3/8" wall. :hillbilly:

That's how you turn a camper that originally weighed 700 lbs dry into one that goes to 2500lb wet.:flipoff2:

Thanks!
Nick

Impressive trailer. You've done a great job putting this together. In the build pictures it looks like there was a fridge...is that still in the camper?

Have you had it out in any severe weather? Is it waterproof, etc? You mentioned that you were thinking of putting an AC unit in it. Where would you install it? Roof? It looked like some of the canvas had been damaged which you had it repaired during the build. Is watertight?

Thanks,

J-P

Impressive trailer. You've done a great job putting this together. In the build pictures it looks like there was a fridge...is that still in the camper?

Have you had it out in any severe weather? Is it waterproof, etc? You mentioned that you were thinking of putting an AC unit in it. Where would you install it? Roof? It looked like some of the canvas had been damaged which you had it repaired during the build. Is watertight?

Thanks,

J-P

It was just an ice box, not a fridge, so I didn't reinstall. I thought about doing a fridge, but since you'd have to setup the camper to access, it didn't make sense. Besides our indoor dry storage was limited to begin with. By clearing the wheels without wheel wells and putting the water tank below, I optimized storage.

I've had it out in the worst weather I can think of; dumping snowstorms, driving rain, vicious desert wind/sand storms, well below freezing, and stupid hot weather. Never had a drop of water inside except for some occasional condensation if the conditions are right.

The canvas is old, but I never replaced it because it is real canvas. It's heavy, thick, and dark. Also it doesnt leak. I've reinforced the corners at the bed platforms as it likes to split there, and done some repairs on one of the vinyl windows. Replacement canvas is readily available from a number of companies, but I never did.

As for AC, you could go with a rooftop unit, but the RV/camper ones are expensive and would probably be crazy overkill in this little camper. In my new 24' travel trailer, I have a 13.5k BTU roof top unit which cools that thing just fine. I was thinking on the popup to do a 5k BTU window unit and cut it into the rear wall below the rear slideout bed and below the drop down dinette/bed. Those are easily powered and could be hardwired into a circuit breaker in the converter/charger or simply through an extension cord to a genny. I can run one of the 5k units with my little 1000w 2-stroke genny, so a typicall 2000w genny would have no problem running one of those all night.

Thanks!
Nick

Thanks,

J-P

It was just an ice box, not a fridge, so I didn't reinstall. I thought about doing a fridge, but since you'd have to setup the camper to access, it didn't make sense. Besides our indoor dry storage was limited to begin with. By clearing the wheels without wheel wells and putting the water tank below, I optimized storage.

I've had it out in the worst weather I can think of; dumping snowstorms, driving rain, vicious desert wind/sand storms, well below freezing, and stupid hot weather. Never had a drop of water inside except for some occasional condensation if the conditions are right.

The canvas is old, but I never replaced it because it is real canvas. It's heavy, thick, and dark. Also it doesn't leak. I've reinforced the corners at the bed platforms as it likes to split there, and done some repairs on one of the vinyl windows. Replacement canvas is readily available from a number of companies, but I never did.

As for AC, you could go with a rooftop unit, but the RV/camper ones are expensive and would probably be crazy overkill in this little camper. In my new 24' travel trailer, I have a 13.5k BTU roof top unit which cools that thing just fine. I was thinking on the popup to do a 5k BTU window unit and cut it into the rear wall below the rear slide out bed and below the drop down dinette/bed. Those are easily powered and could be hardwired into a circuit breaker in the converter/charger or simply through an extension cord to a genny. I can run one of the 5k units with my little 1000w 2-stroke genny, so a typical 2000w genny would have no problem running one of those all night.

Thanks!
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom