Offroad canvas tent trailer hybrid build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will also add that all of the amazingly built expo rigs at the Overland Expo East are inspiring to say the least. The amount of detail and craftsmanship that people put into the trailers and campers is awesome. Makes you realize a $15,000 camper trailer isn't necessarily generating a lot of profit considering the high quality materials being used and the design/labor hours going into building them.....

:beer:

Ok, crew, I am needing a bit of advice. This little camper has been fun so far, with a nice amount of storage provided by the drawers, and the camper can sleep 4 people easily. I just bought a RTT for my "next level" of camping/expo, as that is modular and can be put on a trailer or a truck, depending on what type of trip I will be on. So my options with the trailer are:

1. Hack it up a bit and discontinue the canvas/galvanized frame/plywood "wings" aspect of the trailer and build a platform for the RTT to go on and convert the aluminum body to being purely storage by making hinged door access to the interior area.

2. Sell the camper trailer as a complete unit, keeping the canvas camper concept in tact, and allowing someone else to enjoy the vintage camper concept, and build another trailer that is made for the RTT...

Would the canvas and bows be desired by someone without the aluminum body of the camper? Maybe not?

Any advice would be appreciated, as this winter is a good time for a project...!

cheers,

Joel

how much for canvas and bows...I'd tell you to keep it or sell it whole, but if I could get the tent, then I'd say you can play with that RTT:cheers:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
If I did sell the canvas and bows, one would have to copy the angle of the hole and mounting bracket for the bows to get the tent to set up correctly on a different camper. I would have to include the brackets in the sale. If no one is interested/sees any value in the camper other than the canvas and bows, I would keep the camper base and retro fit the camper itself...

There are decent trailers around to start a fresh build with. I just don't see the best use of your resources in breaking down what you have, rebuilding on it and selling the tent only part. I think Semi Hex is right, sell the whole thing. You'll probably come out in better shape financially and someone else has a complete (mostly) camper to start with.

So I would recommend abandoning the wings if it's a keeper after. Why? I presume you want to set up the trailer for the RTT and to me that would include a mount for it, but also storage, work station, kitchen that is somewhat accessible while the RTT is in use. Does that sound like something the present trailer is going to work for? If not, another reason to trade.

Then there's how capable the trailer is on the trails you anticipate, plus maybe the ones you'd like to do. Do you want something more worthy of where the tow vehicle can take it? Add-on tent(s) to add protected space to use the facilities is something else that you may want to consider with the RTT. They're great for sleeping, but it's the addons that make them livable beyond that unless you limit camping to fair weather only.

Of course, it also comes down to budget. It's not the best season to sell a trailer, but it's a good one to buy and you can afford to go ahead and look for something more suitable. While ours is not for sale, I can highly recommend the M101 CDN like ours.:D Lots of builds with them that have stuff rolling out the back of the trailer or lids that tip, depending on how you camp. That's probably toward the overkill in terms of chassis, but they're pretty unbreakable. Other set-ups I've seen make use of an old (or new) utility truck type body. They do set up higher and usually heavier, but have LOTS of room if you're the type that hauls it all to the woods or like to keep your options open, so to speak. So different ways to go and worth looking around for what's out there to consider.

Good thoughts here, dude! I'm going out this weekend an I'm sure it will be hard to sleep in the old camper after the RTT experience... The old camper pulls easily and camps well, with an awning and plenty of drawer storage.

Good thoughts here, dude! I'm going out this weekend an I'm sure it will be hard to sleep in the old camper after the RTT experience... The old camper pulls easily and camps well, with an awning and plenty of drawer storage.

Thanks! You've got a lot of what you want with what you have, but clearly not all. Starting over with the RTT on the same chassis will give you several levels better comfort, but also some new limitations. You had sit-up, legs on the floor space in the current rig, but would give that up with the RTT, at least initially. Either will work, but the opportunities for what's next will differ. Only you can decide your priorities and tradeoffs going forward.

I have decided to keep the green trailer. I am in the process of building a rack to hold the RTT on the "lid" of the trailer, everything else on the trailer remaining the same. With it being light weight, already having a sturdy-ass frame, awning, and simple drawer system for my kitchen and other junk, I like it how it is, and with a new RTT to sleep in, it will camp like a champ. I am in a super busy time right now, and this is a ready to go camper for me this spring/summer/fall season.

That being said, anyone interested in making an offer on the canvas tent, I will include the galvanized metal frame, the frame brackets (that the frame slides in) and the dimensions of the setup so that the buyer can replicate the frame position of the tent. The canvas itself is in 8.5/10 condition, and considering it's age, it is in great shape. There are a couple of small holes that have been patched, and a few other pin holes here and there, but the zippers are in perfect condition. I also will throw in a tarp with tie down ropes that I have sized to fit exactly over the tent for additional rain protection...

cheers,
Joel

Someone Make an offer, it would be a good winter project to build a camper with a canvas tent, and it sleeps 4

:)

image.jpeg
Spring update! Made a strong 2x4 rack to hold the RTT. Room under the tent to strap down extra gear. About to make a large slide out drawer on slides to hold the main gear. To be continued...

Hello, did you ever end up selling the canvas, bracket and bows while you use the base for your roof-top tent? There is a base for sale near me on Craigslist, but it doesn't include the tent or poles. It might not be the exact model, but it sure looks close - it's an '69 Appleby. (It's also missing a wing, but the wing with the metal cover is there and in good shape.)

Thanks for the pictures, it sure looked great!

Laura

Hello, did you ever end up selling the canvas, bracket and bows while you use the base for your roof-top tent? There is a base for sale near me on Craigslist, but it doesn't include the tent or poles. It might not be the exact model, but it sure looks close - it's an '69 Appleby. (It's also missing a wing, but the wing with the metal cover is there and in good shape.)

Thanks for the pictures, it sure looked great!

Laura

HI Laura,

I still have it all, and was cleaning the garage the other day and thought about someone needing it, LOL. The canvas is in great shape, and I am tempted to keep it for a future build, but if you are interested, PM me and we can talk.

thanks!

Joel

HI Laura,

I still have it all, and was cleaning the garage the other day and thought about someone needing it, LOL. The canvas is in great shape, and I am tempted to keep it for a future build, but if you are interested, PM me and we can talk.

thanks!

Joel
I'd PM you, but I just found out that the base I was looking at on Craigslist sold today! But it's nice to hear that you've held on to the tent, I hope you or someone else you put it to back to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom