Offroad canvas tent trailer hybrid build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, I mocked up the camper on the new frame today. Weather was tolerable, and sunny... The camper was bolted to the frame with rusty bolts, so I cut them off and transferred the camper to the larger frame. Now that I know it fits I'll take it off once ukaviator comes back in town and build a sturdy base for the camper to sit on...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dude that's almost a spitting image of mine, apart from the rear door yours has... So, speaking of plagiarizing ideas, I'd like to fashion mine like that so it's easier to step into. The PO of mine had built a step up from the tongue side of the camper for step up/into the camper, but since I'm going to have my awning/kitchen side on the back a hatch like yours would be better!

Cheers

Dude that's almost a spitting image of mine, apart from the rear door yours has... So, speaking of plagiarizing ideas, I'd like to fashion mine like that so it's easier to step into. The PO of mine had built a step up from the tongue side of the camper for step up/into the camper, but since I'm going to have my awning/kitchen side on the back a hatch like yours would be better!

Cheers
One of the first things I'll do is put a different latch on it. One of the previous owners put a screen door latch on it with no way of securing it otherwise. I can get some better pictures of the door if you would like.

Cool, door photo would be great, thx dude

DSCN0421.JPG DSCN0422.JPG DSCN0423.JPG DSCN0424.JPG I didn't add any outside pictures because I thought you could figure that out. I included the bracing on the back. If you want others, let me know and I will measure, and add them tomorrow.

Ok, Diesel Dan came over today, and we took some measurements and planned the next phase of the trailer build. He came up with the idea of drawers underneath, so next time we have a session, we are going to build a simple drawer system underneath the camper, which is attached to a plywood base, which will all bolt to the frame. I know wood is cumbersome and not as durable as steel or aluminum, but it can be had cheaply, and should at least give us an idea of how the concept works. It will be primed and painted the same color as the camper tub also. Down the line, we can use the wood as a template if we ever wanted to reproduce the idea out of aluminum or steel. Having drawers underneath the tub is an idea you don't see too often...

I'll post pictures once we get to work on it next...

cheers,

Joel

Hey Joel, have you considered turning the box 180* so tje storage box is over the tongue? That would allow you to build your access at the rear, similar to the one above and also let you use the tongue for storage of propane and water tanks, and maybe even expand your existing box for more storage.

Interested to see the drawer system. I think it is a great idea. Make sure you coat the underside with something very durable to help extend the life of the base. Are the drawers going to pull out the sides or the back?

Hey Joel, have you considered turning the box 180* so tje storage box is over the tongue? That would allow you to build your access at the rear, similar to the one above and also let you use the tongue for storage of propane and water tanks, and maybe even expand your existing box for more storage.

Interested to see the drawer system. I think it is a great idea. Make sure you coat the underside with something very durable to help extend the life of the base. Are the drawers going to pull out the sides or the back?

Good idea, Matthew! Yeah, the box on the back is still there from the PO. its just screwed on to the camper tub. When Dan helps me set up the electrical system, we are going to house that in a tongue box on the front, or use your 180 degree flip idea to use the existing storage box as the electrical headquarters. The rear will be where the drawers slide out, prob one on each "half" of the trailer width. We plan on welding some tube and attaching the fenders that way, and in the process will be able to weld on some propane tank mounts and jerry can mounts on each side of the rear quarter panel.

are you sure yours is a Stewart? I have seen the name Appleby when looking for pics of these things...

I cannot verify that mine is a stewart, but when I google these little trailers, the one I posted a link of in an earlier post looks just like mine, and it was a Stewart. I am sure that lots of boutique builders back in the day are out of business or doing something else by now, 40 plus years later, lol. As soon as this weather gets a bit better next week I am going to build the drawers for this rig...!!

yours got me inspired to address mine. looking for canvas; might sew my own. going to bring it home this W/E. keep up the good work!

I have not been able to find anything on my mine to say who made it. but the Appleby's look identical.

that will be a nice set up....
this pic is at least 15 years old... I'm in the process of rebuilding it now...

img041.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok, crew, so I got a nice day here in Nashville, finally! Did some more work on the trailer. Made my drawer frames out of 1/2" plywood sheets and 2"x8's, both pressure treated. Each drawer will measure 21.5" wide and be about 7.5-7.3/4" high, and the length of the box is 78", not sure if I want that long of drawers... Couple pics!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Then with my 10 year old and wife's help, hoisted the camper on top to mock it up. It will all be secured with long bolts that go through the camper, 2x8 frame and the steel base frame...

Next up is the drawers, then fenders, a la Ukaviator, awning, and trailer lights wiring. The little storage box that the PO had on there will be perfect for my 5 gallon soft sided water tank with spigot I found at an army navy supply house
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom