Official Cast Iron thread- Lets see em (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great thread. Of course it makes me hungry and restless to camp. This is one of a couple Lodges I have: 10-1/4" grill pan with a couple skirt steaks going. Fire, rocks, cast iron, meat...
P8151235.jpg

What is your preferred seasoning technique for cast iron?
I just bought a new unseasoned Dutch oven and I'm open to suggestions.
My grandfather told me to use vegetable oil and a 350° oven for 3 hours. Burn in some bacon the first time you use it. Then never look back. That method has not let me down but how do you skin your cat?

Daughter this time....
Happy Camper.jpg
Lodge 10" pot.

I don't like the newer cast iron because of the sand casting, harder to keep seasoned in my opinion, but still love to cook with it. :beer:

just a suggestion, but i would try it if it were me, heat it up with a rosebud tip then set a weight on it, and heat it some more. i would not try to use a hammer on it.
I have an old Superior Stove Works grate that is warped too. I haven't found any solutions to flattening it, just like your pan. This is the best suggestion I have seen yet--

Last edited:
Daughter this time....View attachment 1021797 Lodge 10" pot.

I don't like the newer cast iron because of the sand casting, harder to keep seasoned in my opinion, but still love to cook with it. :beer:
Exactly. I have started breaking out the 90 degree die grinder with the sanding discs and roll-lock fiber discs and getting rid of the sand finish completely. When I'm done, they're as smooth as stainless steel. Then I heat them up with some canola oil till just smoking, pour out the oil, and scrub them with salt. No need to "season" them after that, perfect nonstick cooking.

Camping of course...

oz2k9_20.jpg

oz2k9_35.jpg

pancake.jpg

Heck, 3/8" of steel works good too once seasoned :)

ularring1.jpg

cheers,
george.

is that just a plate of 3/8 mild steel seasoned?

Yep, just a piece of 3/8" thick steel from a scrap metal dealer. Wire brush it (grinder attachment) etc and then get it on a fire and cooking oil and off you go. A few meals with oil, bacon fat etc and in no time it will have the natural non-stick coating built up :)

Doesn't need much heat/flame. Get a small fire going and get mostly coals and then place the bbq plate over it. Feed with small sticks as needed to get the heat you want. If windy, we cut a little trench in the ground to run the fire. If need shovel a bit of dirt to build a wind break or anything else you have laying around (boxes, junk around the camp etc).

More bbq - yum :)

bbq3a.jpg

cheers,
george.

that's what my old man had when I was a kid (but probably 1/4" plate). Backyard BBQs all over Aus just used 1/4" plate.

A tip from my old man was to put it on a hot fire upside down first firing. The idea was that the heat would cause it to bow up in the middle, after that turn it over and it always drained oil etc to a 1/2 hole in the centre.
Don't know if he was right or not

Exactly. I have started breaking out the 90 degree die grinder with the sanding discs and roll-lock fiber discs and getting rid of the sand finish completely. When I'm done, they're as smooth as stainless steel. Then I heat them up with some canola oil till just smoking, pour out the oil, and scrub them with salt. No need to "season" them after that, perfect nonstick cooking.

I like this idea, one thing I don't like about cast iron stuff is the sand grain finish.

Not all cast iron has that finish but maybe all of the newer manufactured ones do? I also have an old frypan made in Japan (Levco) that has a smooth finish (almost machined), if you can make it out in the photo. I took it has a pre-inheritance gift from my folks a few years back.
20161231_120923.jpg
20161231_120903.jpg

IMG_0329.JPG
Here's my griddle after grinding and some cooking. No flash, so pic isn't the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom