Official ARB LC200 modified BASERACK rolled out today! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the new mounting kit from ARB today, installed, and what a disappointment. Rack sits up too high, wind noise is awful because of the new mounting kit. Wind deflector is basically useless at this point. If anyone in the SLC area is looking for the 61x51 BASE Rack with all the accessories, let me know. Taking it off tomorrow and putting it on KSL. What a freakin' disappointment.

Got the new mounting kit from ARB today, installed, and what a disappointment. Rack sits up too high, wind noise is awful because of the new mounting kit. Wind deflector is basically useless at this point. If anyone in the SLC area is looking for the 61x51 BASE Rack with all the accessories, let me know. Taking it off tomorrow and putting it on KSL. What a freakin' disappointment.
That's too bad. I installed the 51"x84 with wind deflector and it's no noiser than the stock rack. The difference is only 3/4" in height from the the original mounting kit. Did they send you a new wind deflector? If not, that's probably the issue.

IMG_20220104_124224767_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220104_130342804_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220104_130420562.jpg

Last edited:
wasn't there a printed circuit board antenna filling up the full height of the sharkfin?
If there was I haven't found it on my garage floor yet :). Took me a week to find the sharfin plastic cover and it was the wife who asked me what it was that she found on her trunk lid.

Nice work. Maybe ditch trying to use the top and just find some other stiff plastic big enough to cover the hole. Maybe just paint it black and be done with it...Or get real fancy and get it attached and then bondo and smooth it over...then paint the whole thing one color.
Thanks and good suggestion on the bondo. I was lazy and ended up remembering that I could repurpose a piece of plastic off my running boards left over after my recent slider install. Final height is approx 1.5" off the roof and hoping to be able to install the original height ARB mounting kit for the Base rack.

Anyone receive shipment of the original mounting kit from ARB that I can take off your hands? Willing to pay whatever the current retail cost would be.

20220208_132736.jpg

20220208_132700.jpg

Thanks and good suggestion on the bondo. I was lazy and ended up remembering that I could repurpose a piece of plastic off my running boards left over after my recent slider install. Final height is approx 1.5" off the roof and hoping to be able to install the original height ARB mounting kit for the Base rack.

Anyone receive shipment of the original mounting kit from ARB that I can take off your hands? Willing to pay whatever the current retail cost would be.

View attachment 2918528

View attachment 2918531
Have you lost any functionality at all with your radio/xm/gps?

That's too bad. I installed the 51"x84 with wind deflector and it's no noiser than the stock rack. The difference is only 3/4" in height from the the original mounting kit. Did they send you a new wind deflector? If not, that's probably the issue.

View attachment 2918116

View attachment 2918117

View attachment 2918118
Yeah I got everything from ARB. Maybe it's bc I have a smaller rack and it's on the rear 2/3 of the roof instead of the full roof that there is more noise? Idk.. either way, super disappointed. Won't be able to return it, will have to take a small loss, and the months of frustration with the initial install, realization, wait from ARB and ultimate disappointment cannot be monetized :eek:(

If anyone is in the SLC area and wants it, give me a hollar. I have a roller tail, 3/4 rails (took them off for less wind resistance, still no improvement), and the majority of all accessories that ARB sells for the base rack.

Have you lost any functionality at all with your radio/xm/gps?
Took it out on a bit of a road trip to pickup my ARB Base Rack in NH this afternoon and didn't notice any loss in reception of radio/xm/gps though it's been so long since I had used radio or XM that I don't have a recent point of reference to compare any potential degradation of reception. A quick scan through AM/FM seemed to pick up a fair number of stations with reasonable clarity. On XM I only heard the free channel coming though as I don't subscribe to the service.

Took it out on a bit of a road trip to pickup my ARB Base Rack in NH this afternoon and didn't notice any loss in reception of radio/xm/gps though it's been so long since I had used radio or XM that I don't have a recent point of reference to compare any potential degradation of reception. A quick scan through AM/FM seemed to pick up a fair number of stations with reasonable clarity. On XM I only heard the free channel coming though as I don't subscribe to the service.
did you try your on air FM radio and AM radio reception?
if i were to guess, the thing that stands upright under that sharkfin would be FM radio antenna

did you try your on air FM radio and AM radio reception?
if i were to guess, the thing that stands upright under that sharkfin would be FM radio antenna
Yes tried FM/AM/XM and had reception on an open highway though not sure what reception would be like in less ideal environments.

Btw, look what turned up...

20220211_171416.jpg

While trying to install the ARB mounting brackets I'm guessing that the thread locker on the ARB supplied bolts caused too much torquing of the oem nuts and one started spinning and eventually popped out. Seems like it was a rivet nut that corroded over the years with perhaps some water / moisture intrusion (though nothing to the level of being visible in the headliner). Have some stainless M8 rivet nuts on order that might be a bit too small to lock into the remaining hole ~13mm (rivet nut is 11mm).

20220211_170037.jpg

20220211_170452.jpg

Another issue I'm bumping into is that the supplied ARB mounting bracket base has two holes for the bots but don't provide enough clearance around the yellow sleeves (with the supplied rubber spacer) to where the bracket when screwed down would be applying pressure against the yellow sleeves. Thinking of repurposing the rubber washers used for the original OEM fasteners above the supplied rubber spacer to gain a bit more height to clear the remaining gap. This might also help to serve as a gasket and improve water resistance. Also the mounting brackets butt up against the back side of the gutter to the point that it is tough to position the bracket flush with the base which the additional rubber gasket might help alleviate. Any thoughts or issues with this approach?

20220211_162219.jpg

20220211_162323.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom