TLCA Official 2021 Rubithon Pryor's Wagon Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MountNGoat

KK6WRY. Always Learning
GOLD Star
Threads
After the year we've had I'm sure that you, like me, CAN NOT WAIT to participate in this year's Rubithon event!

Wagon Run dates and times:

Start: Wednesday June 23, 7:00 am, Loon Lake trailhead.

Finish: Sunday June 27th, Tahoma Staging Area

As the name would imply, on the surface the Wagon Run is about 55’s, 60’s, 62’s, 70's, 80’s, 100’s … and if you’re really brave, 200 series. But more than that it’s about anybody in any Cruiser that want’s to be part of a low key run focused on making sure you have a good time and get through the trail. This is a great run for the experienced 'first timer'. In addition to “wagons” we’ve had 40’s, 45’s, FJ Cruisers, Tacos, 4Runners and even built Buggies! Each year I’ve been blessed with fantastic people, both family and friends, that volunteer to be part of the team to help ensure your trip is successful. Obviously the more you stray from the “Wagon” theme the lower the chances of having spare parts within the group should you need them, so consider and plan accordingly.

Chairman Dick’s official post about the 2021 Rubithon is here: Official 2021 Rubithon Thread (32nd or 33rd Annual - TBD) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/official-2021-rubithon-thread-32nd-or-33rd-annual-tbd.1236600/post-13562372

Check it out for a lot of great info. In addition to the requirements therein, for the Wagon Run I’m asking that you have a minimum of a rear locker (front AND rear strongly preferred), a winch, and front/rear/side/bottom armor. While 33’s on Wagons are doable (BTDT), it’s amazing what a difference 35’s make. If you're on 33's make sure you bring a capable rock stacker to help ease the way. Note the 7:00 am start time! This is when inspections will begin so that we can leave no later than 8 am, so it's vital that everyone is at the trailhead in their trucks by 7 am. Realistically this means camping in the vicinity of the trail head the night before.

Communications within the group are extremely important and will be by HAM radio, on 2m frequency 146.400 or 146.460 MHz as radio traffic may dictate. HAM radio requires a license to transmit on, except in emergencies. While passing the HAM license testing isn’t difficult, if you are not HAM licensed an inexpensive hand held radio will allow you to hear communications important to the run, and in the event of an emergency you have the ability to communicate with the group. Please contact me if you have ANY concerns or difficulty being equipped to communicate this way.

The run is limited to 22 trucks total, BUT as of January 6 there are only 7 spots still open because of 15 roll over registrations from last year's cancelled run, so get signed up soon! We’re going to have a fantastic time, and I’m looking forward to seeing old friends, making new ones, spending time with the family, and enjoying the awesome experience that the Rubicon Trail provides. Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Steve Pryor

1609984062493.png

The Rubithon website says that registration opens on January 8th, but I'd like to register early if possible. Is there a way to reserve a spot before then? Thanks

edit...we made it in ! Can’t wait :)

Last edited:
The Rubithon website says that registration opens on January 8th, but I'd like to register early if possible. Is there a way to reserve a spot before then? Thanks
Unfortunately, no, but TLCA's pretty good about accommodating everyone as there are many good runs to join if one happens to fill up.

My buddy Rodney Hutchison and I just registered this morning. This is our first time to the Rubicon. We will be in my 1996 FZJ80 triple locked w/ 35" tires. We recently completed the John Bull Trial in Big Bear as a test of my rig and practice for Rubithon 2021. I am fairly new to off road driving but with Rodney's experience and excellent spotting, we completed John Bull without damage.

We look forward meeting other Wagon Run participants.

Robin Hou
626-298-2057

My buddy Rodney Hutchison and I just registered this morning. This is our first time to the Rubicon. We will be in my 1996 FZJ80 triple locked w/ 35" tires. We recently completed the John Bull Trial in Big Bear as a test of my rig and practice for Rubithon 2021. I am fairly new to off road driving but with Rodney's experience and excellent spotting, we completed John Bull without damage.

We look forward meeting other Wagon Run participants.

Robin Hou
626-298-2057
Sounds good, Robin. Having a good spotter (that you listen to 😜) helps immensely. When I drive my wife’s 80 on technical trails I feel new to it as well because I don’t brake and gas with separate feet in my usual truck - it’s a manual transmission - the way you need to with an auto. Getting comfortable with that on more technical terrain will make a difference in June as well. Thanks for signing up, looking forward to meeting you!

Update, the Wagon Run is now full and then some. I am looking into how to add your name to a waitlist in case of cancellations.

Looking forward to this. Bucket list item for us. Will be staying in Carson City NV the months of May and June. Will do some exploring on teh weekends leading up to the run.

Update, the Wagon Run is now full and then some. I am looking into how to add your name to a waitlist in case of cancellations.
Note, if you want to be waitlisted for the Wagon Run, send an email with that request to chairman@rubithon.com. Dick will add you in the order he receives requests. Being oversold as it is, I'm not too optimistic about enough cancellations happing, though, but you never know. There are other great runs led by great people, though, that you should strongly consider joining to secure your spot in what is going to be a awesome Rubithon event!

I hope I'm still in from last year's registration. Looking forward to it and some hang time somewhere! A couple of days with nothing to do sounds PDG right around now.

I hope I'm still in from last year's registration. Looking forward to it and some hang time somewhere! A couple of days with nothing to do sounds PDG right around now.
You're still in there!!!

This question may have been addressed, please forgive me, i may have missed it. Getting rig up to snuff, going to need as much room as i can make. Is additional gas required on this trip? Was looking at options for added fuel storage for my roof rack and figured id ask to be sure. Getting close.. If there is additional capacity required what the recommended amount?

This question may have been addressed, please forgive me, i may have missed it. Getting rig up to snuff, going to need as much room as i can make. Is additional gas required on this trip? Was looking at options for added fuel storage for my roof rack and figured id ask to be sure. Getting close.. If there is additional capacity required what the recommended amount?
From what I’ve read, people get through the trail with plenty of gas left over. About a 1/4 tank. Some bring extra fuel just in case or to help out other drivers. I’ll be bringing an extra 5 gallons which you’re welcome to use if needed.

As @Road Apple says, most get through on their tank, but having some extra is just a good precaution. If you do store it on the roof rack, and you lay it on its side, make sure the gasket seal on the lid works very well. I’ve seen many leak like that. The problem is made worse by the increasing pressures inside the can as you go up in elevation.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I appreciate it.

Hell yes!!! Running through the checklist (if anyone has 80 preventative items.. tossm out there)

My daughter (17) and I will be headed up early early from El Dorado Hills Wed morning of anyone else has that same plan. My hope is she drives a bunch!

Yes, we’re getting stoked too !! 5.29’s and low range gears are going in this week. ABS delete and steering box upgrade next.

Long checklist to get through and gear break-in. Starting to think I need to split the checklist into 2 separate lists...must complete items and nice to have items. Feels like it getting close !

BUMP.

Anyone getting stoked yet? About a month away. :)

See you all Weds morning. I'll be hiking to Loon from Buck in the AM.

:cheers:
I know I totally don’t even rate on the lowest tier of Land Cruiser icons of yore but it would still be cool to meet up with you at some point.

:lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom