Off-the-shelf starter for 1HD-T, 1HD-FT, 1HD-FTE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm stuck in Arizona, near Tucson, with a fried starter on my auto-trans '91 HDJ80 with the 1HD-FT. Stock they were 24V, I'm told, Spector Off-Road says that by the part number on my starter it's a HT starter mated to the 1HD-FT drive gear and they can build one and ship it to me, but if anyone knows if the internals of any other Nippon Denso starter would fit my case, I might be able to get mine rebuilt (it needs more than brushes - the armature has some deep scoring in it.)

Thanks in advance!

pm sent (actually email sent)

I have one and am in tucson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are the man!

Hey Rick,

Try calling me at 510-504-5933. Amazing!

Your 80 is a conversion so there is a good chance your starter is a 12v now....at least that is how I do all my 80 conversions. Depends who did it I guess...
You got a series/parallel switch and dual batteries in there?

What is the part number?

The Starter in my HDJ80

Hi Sheldon,

My swap was done by Amauri Nunez. I have two Odyssey batteries and a Wrangler Battery Manager, but the starter is 12V. It says 12V on it. The sticker has the first portion of the P/N missing, but the last 5 are 47081.

And hey, got a 5-speed I can buy? Rick in Tucson called me, then called Jeff Bryant in California, who's sending me a Toyota diesel mini-truck starter, and he said "You know, if you had a 5-speed, you wouldn't be talking to me right now" and believe me the idea had crossed my mind several times today. (Plus I'd love the extra power.

And hey, got a 5-speed I can buy? Rick in Tucson called me, then called Jeff Bryant in California, who's sending me a Toyota diesel mini-truck starter, and he said "You know, if you had a 5-speed, you wouldn't be talking to me right now" and believe me the idea had crossed my mind several times today. (Plus I'd love the extra power.

Stupid question: Having never owned an automatic (ever), is it possible to push start/roll start an automatic?

Some older autos with the pump in the rear can be push or pull-started, but not the Land Cruiser autos. Hence my lust for a 5-speed.

28100-47081 is a 2H/12H-T 12v HJ6/HJ7/Coaster application starter..
Obviously Nunez pulled the motor etc off that starter an swapped it onto your 1HD nosecone/drive assy.
I use new Toyota 3B starter motors for most of my swaps, basically same as the diesel mini AFAIK. Just make sure the little drain hole and boot is relocated to the new lowest point on the starter motor when you play mix and match.

Sorry, no 5 speed for you.. 80 series 5spds (H151) are pretty tough to come by. You can order new from Dave at Japan 4x4. You see em on ebay AUS now an again, but it's a bit of a crapshoot. You pretty much have to count on a RB. In which case in my mind it's worth it to just order up the latest H151F out of the motherland.

Starter/5-speed

Thanks again, Sheldon

I've got a mini-truck starter on the way to me, and thanks for the drain tube and boot tip. And thanks for the 5-speed tips!

28100-47081 is a 2H/12H-T 12v HJ6/HJ7/Coaster application starter..
Obviously Nunez pulled the motor etc off that starter an swapped it onto your 1HD nosecone/drive assy.
I use new Toyota 3B starter motors for most of my swaps, basically same as the diesel mini AFAIK. Just make sure the little drain hole and boot is relocated to the new lowest point on the starter motor when you play mix and match.

Sorry, no 5 speed for you.. 80 series 5spds (H151) are pretty tough to come by. You can order new from Dave at Japan 4x4. You see em on ebay AUS now an again, but it's a bit of a crapshoot. You pretty much have to count on a RB. In which case in my mind it's worth it to just order up the latest H151F out of the motherland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom