off road trailers and fzj80 wheels...help please

I just picked up a really cool off road trailer from CL but it has Jeep cj hubs on it. I want to swap the hubs for the same bolt pattern my 1997 LX450 has and it has raised a few questions...are all the fzj 80 wheels compatable between years? Isn't there a difference in lug nuts or something? I did a search and checked the FAQ but came up short.

Also, can anyone recommend a good place to by trailer parts? It looks like it might be easiest to just buy a new axle with the correct hubs. Or is swapping trailer hubs really easy? There are tons of places online but I'd like to get good quality. Any recommendations or suggestions are welcome. I have zero experience with trailers. Luckily the parts seem really cheap compared to the truck. Thanks.

Uncle Grumpy

SILVER Star
You should have the shank style which I think started in 95. I have a 94 with the acorn style.

No one believes you got a cool trailer until you post pics.

I know I know these threads suck without photos. Ill see what I can do.

The trailer has a three-axis hitch, adjustable suspension lift, jack stand, water tight lid that lifts on shocks, tailgate, all diamond plate construction. Powder coated orange:)

Bah! How do I get photos under the max size? I tried but with photoshop saving on absolute minimum photo quality my jpgs are still larger than the 137k max size.

Or open an account in photobucket.com (or similar web)

Upload your photos to your photobucket account

Then just link them here using the
insertimage.gif
icon in the post top menu bar.

No size limits on linked files.

The most important difference in our wheels is that steel wheels use tapered conical seat lug nuts and alloy wheels use shank type lug nuts with captive washers.

Check out the trailer section for tons of info on axle/hub/stud/wheel options. Mack

Uncle Grumpy

SILVER Star
To match, you want the 95+ OEM alloys, they have the shank (hub centric) lug nuts. In the US the FJ80 had 15" alloys and early FZJ80's had 16" alloys with the acorn (lug centric) lug nuts. IIRC the larger wheels became necessary when the rear disc brakes were added. Started with the '94 full float axles? I think the LX450 debuted in '95 so they would all have the shank style.

Shank style(L) acorn style(R) I stole the pic from this thread.
LC lugs.jpg
LC lugs.jpg

You guys are tons of help. Thanks. When I get home tonight I will make pictures happen. I never even noticed we had a trailer forum..doh!

I had inherited some shank style FZJ alloys with my 80. Used two on my trailer, and decided I wanted acorn style. The shank will work temporarily on an axle which does not the correct sized hub, but its a pain getting it centered; I was having to use three acorn nuts to center it, then putting on three shank, tightening them up, removing the acorn and putting three more shank on.

Took my wheels to a place near me and they machined inserts in place so I have all acorn style now. It was cheaper/easier/quicker then searching for 4 acorn style wheels close by and then selling my shank style. Green's Automotive Home Page

I don't have any pictures just now, just this video from last year when I had the FZJ/315 combo in the CdnM101 trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf-tZYpwRY8

hth's

gb

Last edited:
I bought my hubs to run 6 on 5.5 wheels on my CAN M101 from Southwest Wheel/Tailer Parts. I found the company searching MUD in trailer tech.
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=247&SEName=l0655lb3e

x2, thats where i got my 6-bolt drums from as well. x3 on check out trailer tech forum. x-whatever on post some pics!

you'll want to get shank style wheels, keep it consistent with the tow rig so you can use the same spares..etc.

:flipoff2: welcome to mud

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
I had an AT trailer with Jeep hubs. I found out it was a dexter trailer, so I bought new Hubs with a Toyota pattern and swapped them.

If you don't know the brand, you could take the hub into a trailer shop and they should be able to help you

Greg that rattle trap sounds awful, I'll take it off your hands.

You're saying it needs oil? lol.

you'll want to get shank style wheels, keep it consistent with the tow rig so you can use the same spares..etc.

I switched all my wheels to acorn style for that reason, due to the rational I mentioned.

You guys are tons of help. Thanks. When I get home tonight I will make pictures happen. I never even noticed we had a trailer forum..doh!

Where's your pics!

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom