Off Road Newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

So I purchased my FJ60 last year and just did the front axle and eventually the suspension next this year. I have not ventured off road yet, and need to probably outfit with some equipment before so could use some recommendations. Not knowing any trails I could use some recommendations otherwise I would just head north from the westside. I would try and wait until a local group here maybe head out so I might tag along.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Congratulations on the rig.

I suggest you become a Copper State Cruisers member, the group goes out once a month to a specific location. There's also several of us every weekend that go out every weekend and post where we're going.

See you on the trail,

Zons

Congratulations on the rig.

I suggest you become a Copper State Cruisers member, the group goes out once a month to a specific location. There's also several of us every weekend that go out every weekend and post where we're going.

See you on the trail,

Zons

Thanks, I actually did join. I must not be tracking the right posts

Thanks, I actually did join. I must not be tracking the right posts

Click the "Watch" button at the top of the home page for the group. Then you'll see every post.

welcome :cheers:

Welcome!:beer:

Welcome:beer:

Tom, the beer looked refreshing so I had to have one myself
Exactly Mark! What is more welcoming than a beer?? How are you bud?

Any recommendations for the minimum items I should pack. I know I have to get some recovery straps but since I don’t have a winch what else would help. I have tracks I can use. Welcome any suggestions because nobody like to get stuck where they cant get out especially if alone. Thanks

How long have you lived in AZ? If you're in the lower deserts, bring more water!

Aside from that, some items that always go with me when I'm way off road;
Rifle & ammo
2m HAM radio, plus spare antenna
Hi-lift Jack (can also be used as a winch)
Tow straps and tree strap
Shackles, several
Jumper cables
Spare fuses, Extra Power Window relay (used in many places on an 80)
Assorted small tools, ratchets, box end wrenches, screwdrivers
Spare coolant hoses (full set), plus heater hose
Rocket flares and smoke flares (*not kidding), along with road flares
Engine oil, big bottle
Even more water - I like those Swedish water bags
4-way lug wrench
Duct tape

And, the must-have tool you should never be without...

Hacksaw blade and handle.

just to add to the list above some of the items I take:

meant for your inspiration, not meant as intimidation - sorry the list got long, but these are things I have carried along at least once in the past 15 years . . .

not all at the same time, and not all in every wheeler we have - decisions what to take adjust to distance of travel, extent of wheeling, particular vehicle involved, anticipated group going with me, and sometimes plain laziness (when close to town)

I generally carry info on confirmed infrastructure or support businesses along the way, AAA emergency contacts, insurance information

- big hedge clippers (when in the 80s, for sure) - ACE has them for ~$60or so
- zip ties of multiple sizes (every vehicle)
-tire pressure gauge - and I like to take tire deflators, too (get the Stauns over the Amazon el cheapo offers, trust me)
- air compressor - onboard or portable (every vehicle, unless I know that I will definitely be able to smooch off some source when I drive the 40; or I take the portable MV-50 that has served me for more than 15 years by now :D: - got a brand new one for the GX, too)
- velcro straps (the computer cable ties of various lengths you can get cheaply at ACE)
- multimeter (and assorted fuses specific to the vehicle and general wiring parts - carrying fuses for other vehicle types in the group has also come in handy in the past :flamingo:)
- tie-downs for all the crap in the rear (of the 80s and later models; need to develop a new system since the rear bench in the 40 that was holding down everything went away . . . )
- blankets (moving blankets are cheap) to cover stuff when parking/camping in sketchy areas, and as general theft prevention, as well as simplifying with the general tie down of stuff when you throw them over everything
- spare brake fluid (on longer and more remote trips; the stuff is corrosive, so wrap well and spill-proof)
- spare tranny fluid (when in the later models father away from town)
- octane booster (for those of us with S/Cs :grinpimp:)
- ARB airline repair kits (for those of us with ARB lockers; on longer trips, I also carry spare solenoids)
- baling wire and double-sided tape (both of which have come in unexpectedly handy on later model trucks, go figure :hmm:)
- assortment of bolts, nuts and washers - springs for the carb (and choke on the 40)
- WD-40, moly grease, regular grease, grease gun
- knuckles studs - search on MUD for stories about those . . .
- on long trips with the 40, I carry axle shafts (prepacked with moly-filled birfs); I used to carry a steering box, too (but now need to develop a new parts list since getting power steering)
. . . and more . . .

and don't forget a comb - yes, a plain haircomb: this comes in handy when your kid managed to jump at the cholla before the plant had a chance to expel its buds on its own terms (and then the kid panics, swirls around and pics up more buds, and on it goes . . . followed by an hour of misery for all involved :frown:), or your dog walks into the stuff, or your husband is too focused on the camera and sits down on the proverbial mother-in-law-chair (but fun was had by all :lol:), or you meet an ATV rider who flew down a dirt road way too fast, missed the corner, and landed like a ragdoll with all kinds of body parts into plants with thorns, spurs, hooks (she broke two front teeth in the process) :eek: and so on . . .

a good medical kit would also help - I am in the process of assembling a kit that goes beyond the Toyota/Lexus kits, since we have found them somewhat deficient on the trail . . .

Last edited:
but apart from that, why don't you just join a trail run and enjoy :steer: - apparently, we are likely carry more than enough stuff :lol: :rolleyes:

just to add to the lost above some of the items I take:

meant for your inspiration, not meant as intimidation - sorry the lost got long, but these are things I have carried along at least once in the past 15 years . . .

not all at the same time, and not all in every wheeler we have - decisions what to take adjust to distance of travel, extent of wheeling, particular vehicle involved, anticipated group going with me, and sometimes plain laziness (when close to town)

I generally carry info on confirmed infrastructure or support businesses along the way, AAA emergency contacts, insurance information

- big hedge clippers (when in the 80s, for sure) - ACE has them for ~$60or so
- zip ties of multiple sizes (every vehicle)
-tire pressure gauge - and I like to take tire deflators, too (get the Stauns over the Amazon el cheapo offers, trust me)
- air compressor - onboard or portable (every vehicle, unless I know that I will definitely be able to smooch off some source when I drive the 40; or I take the portable MV-50 that has served me for more than 15 years by now :D: - got a brand new one for the GX, too)
- velcro straps (the computer cable ties of various lengths you can get cheaply at ACE)
- multimeter (and assorted fuses specific to the vehicle and general wiring parts - carrying fuses for other vehicle types in the group has also come in handy in the past :flamingo:)
- tie-downs for all the crap in the rear (of the 80s and later models; need to develop a new system since the rear bench in the 40 that was holding down everything went away . . . )
- blankets (moving blankets are cheap) to cover stuff when parking/camping in sketchy areas, and as general theft prevention, as well as simplifying with the general tie down of stuff when you throw them over everything
- spare brake fluid (on longer and more remote trips; the stuff is corrosive, so wrap well and spill-proof)
- spare tranny fluid (when in the later models father away from town)
- octane booster (for those of us with S/Cs :grinpimp:)
- ARB airline repair kits (for those of us with ARB lockers; on longer trips, I also carry spare solenoids)
- baling wire and double-sided tape (both of which have come in unexpectedly handy on later model trucks, go figure :hmm:)
- assortment of bolts, nuts and washers - springs for the carb (and choke on the 40)
- WD-40, moly grease, regular grease, grease gun
- knuckles studs - search on MUD for stories about those . . .
- on long trips with the 40, I carry axle shafts (prepacked with moly-filled birfs); I used to carry a steering box, too (but now need to develop a new parts list since getting power steering)
. . . and more . . .

and don't forget a comb - yes, a plain haircomb: this comes in handy when your kid managed to jump at the cholla before the plant had a chance to expel its buds on its own terms (and then the kid panics, swirls around and pics up more buds, and on it goes . . . followed by an hour of misery for all involved :frown:), or your dog walks into the stuff, or your husband is too focused on the camera and sits down on the proverbial mother-in-law-chair (but fun was had by all :lol:), or you meet an ATV rider who flew down a dirt road way too fast, missed the corner, and landed like a ragdoll with all kinds of body parts into plants with thorns, spurs, hooks (she broke two front teeth in the process) :eek: and so on . . .

a good medical kit would also help - I am in the process of assembling a kit that goes beyond the Toyota/Lexus kits, since we have found them somewhat deficient on the trail . . .
Excellent post Claudia!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom